Threads in Forum : General Vista Help and Support Forum Tools Search this Forum Feed Icon
Vista 5536 : Video Thumbnailling and MCE / 360 by Caldor
With build 5536, under media centre with media centre extender on my 360, selecting optimisation always results in the 360 being disconnected and apparently no optimisation taking place. How do I turn off showing my video files as thumbnails? I have a large library with various avi and mkv container format video files. The performance of thumbnailling these within media centre either locally...
September 5th 06 03:47 PM
by Tonny Go to last post
2 314
Another Sidebar Problem by calewis3
So I have searched the forum for a problem similar to the one I'm having, and I regret to say that I have not had any luck. So I decided to post a new question. Whats happening is that my sidebar has become partially unresponsive. When I turned my computer on this morning, I noticed that I was missing a few Gadgets, so I went to add them back. Well, when I click add gadgets the Gadget...
November 5th 07 06:17 PM
by Andre Da Costa[ActiveWin] Go to last post
1 208
Screen Saver and Sleep not Working by Calhawk
I'm running Vista Ultimate 64, and my screen savers and sleep mode quit working after last Tuesday's updates from microsoft. I decided to use system restore and go back before the updates were applied and everything worked ok, the screen savers worked and sleep mode worked. But I let it install the updates again and the screen saver quit working again and no sleep mode. Any suggestions to...
June 19th 07 01:07 AM
by Mac Go to last post
1 215
Monitor 1 & 2 identify in reverse by calibansfolly
After I plugged my hp pavilion dv9000 into the base, it decided that the external monitor was 1, and the laptop monitor was 2. I've restarted and the problem persists. Anyone seen this before? What can I do?
May 2nd 08 10:52 PM
by Synapse Syndrome[_2_] Go to last post
5 230
monitor by calibra1
everytime i log on to my PC (vista) the monitor will stay on for about 5 - 10 secs then go idle, but not stand by or shut down. i have to press the monitor power button frequently to try and get it to fire up,eventually(after a few re-boots) it will stay on,the OS is still working in the background but no screen. please help, ta rick
February 15th 09 02:45 PM
by Questor[_2_] Go to last post
5 239
Set same folder view for directories and subdirectories by Calin Iaru
How can I set a tile view for all directories inside a partition? For instance I can choose Customize from the drive's properties and set one of the templates. However, some directories are listed as tiles, while others are listed as large. I would like a consistent view on all directories, no matter which template I choose. Or if possible, I would like to know how to set my own template. Is...
August 8th 08 03:00 PM
by Calin Iaru Go to last post
0 161
paint cannot edit text by Calin Iaru
For some reason, when I use mspaint, the text tool is disabled. I can use the mask, brush, rectangle, zoom and so on, but no text. I don't know how to replicate it - it occurs mostly by doing a screenshot paste into paint and from then on, comes whathever - sometimes text works sometimes it does not. Vista X64 Ultimate.
September 11th 08 12:10 AM
by Synapse Syndrome[_2_] Go to last post
1 201
\ntldr is corrupt or missing error C0000007 by Calin Iaru
I installed XP and then Vista on a separate partition, same hdd. XP crashed and now Vista reports that \ntldr is corrupt or missing when loading "Earlier Version of Windows". The error code printed is C0000007. The Vista repair process did not detect any problems. I used then the XP recovery and did a fixboot. This had the efect that the Vista preload options were made unavailable. I...
August 8th 08 11:46 AM
by Calin Iaru Go to last post
2 176
Setting environment variables by Call me Bill
I was hoping to see this improved in Vista, but it's not there (yet). Windows has a poor interface for editing environment variables. In the System Properties dialog, under the Advanced Tab, click the "Environment Variables" button: "Edit" any variable, and you will be given a non-growable, non-scrollable dialog to edit the variable. Especially for developers, when editing the PATH or...
September 7th 06 08:54 PM
by Steve Urbach Go to last post
2 168
can't connect to remote desktop by call25
hi i have new laptop with vista home basic 32bit. i ve tried for the first time to connect to my workplace, to my computer who have xp on it and i get the msg: Remote Desktop Disconnected ------------------------------------ This computer can't connect to the remote computer Try connecting again. If the problem continues, contact the owner of
February 4th 09 01:38 PM
by Jim[_49_] Go to last post
2 186
office 2007 (references and works cited) by callie
I am trying to complete a paper for school, and need to finish the references page, in office 2007 there is a tab for just such thing, but it differs from how the instructor did it, as well , I am trying to make it single space, and I cannot. I do not want two lines between the entries on this page, but it keeps doing it?? I am also having problems with the browser, had to download firefox...
June 30th 07 12:49 AM
by Daniel Go to last post
2 162
Can't place cursor or tab into "password" fields by [email protected]
I'm trying to help my mother-in-law configure her new HP computer with Vista. Unfortunately, I'm 3,000 miles away, am using XP myself, and have to do this by phone. She keeps having this problem of not being able to click into, or tab into a Password field. A re-boot this morning fixed the first problem (not being able to enter the isp password to connect to the internet). But when she tried to...
May 23rd 07 06:40 PM
by Tim Go to last post
2 196
BSOD and other problems by callisto9
BSOD i've had my dell inspiron 1420 for about six weeks now. i've had occasional program failures since i got this laptop, but it's been picking up the past week or so. i am running vista home premium. last night, i upgraded the RAM from 1GB to 2GB. i replaced both
(Multi-page thread 1 2 3 ... Last Page)
January 23rd 08 02:23 AM
by Frank[_17_] Go to last post
78 1,043
fuzzy stem across screen by callmeangel
I have a fuzzy green black looking stem acroos my screen about 2/3 of the way down on my screen. It doesn't move. It looks like it has a hook of some sort on the right side. Also, in the upper left hand side of my screen there is a black looking leaf blob or something. I have run my anti virus and a spy checker and they come up with nothing. Any suggestions
July 13th 08 01:39 AM
by [email protected] Go to last post
6 176
Duplicates of "Documents" Folder in Vista by callmemitchs
I don't use forums much so I am sorry if this is in the wrong spot, but I have a fairly serious problem that I need help with. I am running Windows Vista Ultimate x64, and I have a strange problem with the "Documents" folder. I noticed that all of the Files present in my Documents folder are also present in the "Users" directory. Along with them and a few hidden folders is a folder called...
March 22nd 09 01:23 PM
by Brink Go to last post
4 200
Vista - Programs running control by Callum - Scotland
Hi, Does anybody know if there is an equivelent to XP's Ctrl-Alt-Del to see which programs are running and the ability to stop them please? Many thanks, Callum
February 5th 08 01:11 PM
by Bob Go to last post
7 205
Checkdisk by Cally
I plugged in an old 40gb drive that I have as I needed some of the Word docs off of it. Couldn't access the folder as it said there was an I/O problem so I ran error checking on the disk. Now I have lost the whole folder and have a new folder 'Found.000' with 10,000 ???.CHK files in it. What do I do now? How can I recover the files that are now in this folder? thanks Paul
February 4th 08 10:25 PM
by philo Go to last post
3 250
Media Center is missing by CalNativeKid
I have vista ultimate and purchased the hp ec680 tv tuner card. the microsoft site says that vista ultimate includes media center but the application is not installed. Can someone help me in finding how to install the Media Center on my Vista PC? Thanks!
February 21st 08 04:41 AM
by SG[_3_] Go to last post
4 214
Device Manager and some services error by Calv
Hello there, Straight to the point, Since I can't find a similar Graphic adapter, I changed my display adapter from a defective Ati Radeon 9600XT to a known good working Geforce FX5500. I heard somewhere that Vista might needs to reactivate if a major changes are made to the system (hardware) but I have no choice, so first powered up vista found new hardware and like "ussual" vista didn't...
(Multi-page thread 1 2)
June 13th 08 02:36 AM
by Nonny Go to last post
11 364
Unauthorized change was made to windows by Calv
I just bought Windows Vista Home Premium OEM recently, installed and activated. It's quite pretty awesome appearance windows version than ever, I have a movie file that I've transferred it from my DV camcorder and since I don't have a CD or dvd writer then I exchange my dvdrom with LG DVDRW from my another PC. In the first boots up windows won't log on, and saying "Unauthorized change was...
(Multi-page thread 1 2)
November 4th 07 02:36 PM
by JonJon(myspace.com/anxious_1) Go to last post

From The