Threads in Forum : General Vista Help and Support Forum Tools Search this Forum Feed Icon
Defrag Risks? by CWLee
Since Vista normally does defragmentation in the background, frequently, and regularly, it seems to me this increases the risks of damage from a power failure. Obvious 1st level solution is a UPS, but with the defrag program probably running while we sleep, we don't hear the alarm within the 15-20 minutes typical of UPS performance. The 2nd level solution would be a UPS with the ability to...
(Multi-page thread 1 2)
January 16th 09 02:30 PM
by measekite's psychiatrist[_4_] Go to last post
18 600
32 Bit Scanner has stopped working by magnum1007
Does anyone else receive this message after booting to windows/desktop? This has occured since loading Vista Business on a formatted disk...in other words, from the very beginnning. Any ideas? - Microsoft Windows 32 Bit Scanner has stopped working A problem caused the program to stop working correctly. Windows will close the problem and notify you if a solution is available.
(Multi-page thread 1 2)
January 16th 09 02:13 PM
by Diana T[_2_] Go to last post
16 601
Useful things MS hides... by sparkinark[_2_]
Quickly: Why are there so many commands that are completely undocumented but extremely useful (and not in a gui at all) like sfc, bootrec, etc.? And for the MBR, why are there 10's of freeware programs that make a multi-OS/multi-boot easy to put in the mbr and os selector, but MS doesn't give us diddly? Instead we get Flip-3d, which I had to look up online to even find out how to use. Can...
January 16th 09 01:20 PM
by Dusko Savatovic[_3_] Go to last post
1 292
Photo Story 3 w Internet Explorer by Silvershadow
I have just installed Photo Story 3 on my Windows Vista Home Edition w/SP1 and I have uploaded a wmv file of my photos to mywebsite and it won't play. It will play on my other computer online that has Windows XP but not on my new machine. Has anyone else had this problem and how can it be fixed? I am using IE7
January 16th 09 01:18 PM
by Silvershadow Go to last post
0 308
Paste does not work in Command Window by Venkat
All, Paste suddenly seems to have stopped working in the Command window in my Vista system. Configuration: Vista enterprise with SP1. UAC ON (I cannot disable UAC because of corporate IT policy) I am sure "Quick Edit" is enabled. I tried both "Right Click" and the menu Edit - Paste option. It does not work even in Powershell. Paste works normally in all other applications.
(Multi-page thread 1 2)
January 16th 09 01:06 PM
by Synapse Syndrome[_2_] Go to last post
12 537
where is the Windows 7 news group by Tony Rizzo
Anyone know T
(Multi-page thread 1 2 3 ... Last Page)
January 16th 09 12:14 PM
by Steve Cochran Go to last post
39 1,071
Windows Vista\Windows XP by Scorpio
Is it possible to unistall windows vista (cause I hate it having lots of problems) and re-installing windows xp.
(Multi-page thread 1 2)
January 16th 09 10:27 AM
by Joe Buck[_2_] Go to last post
12 511
Vista - Power Options by Neil Jones[_2_]
Ian D wrote: "Neil Jones" wrote in message ... I am trying to turn off the display after 30 minutes of inactivity. But nothing seems to be changing. As administrator, it works fine. On Vista, can a normal user change the Power Options? NJ A normal user can change the display power...
January 16th 09 09:42 AM
by Neil Jones[_2_] Go to last post
0 269
Vista - Power Options by Neil Jones[_2_]
Ian D wrote: "Neil Jones" wrote in message ... I am trying to turn off the display after 30 minutes of inactivity. But nothing seems to be changing. As administrator, it works fine. On Vista, can a normal user change the Power Options? NJ A normal user can change the display power...
January 16th 09 09:42 AM
by Neil Jones[_2_] Go to last post
0 309
Favorites/Bookmarks by Diane
Gremlins!!! They've moved my Favorites from IE. I found them in my Music folder. I've gone to the Import/Export Wizard and selected Import. It shows C:\User\Diane\Documents\bookmarks.htm. Since I know the folder is now under Music, I hit the browse button. I then choose the Favorites folder under Music. Then I'm stuck. How do I get this selection into the "box" to import? -- Diane
January 16th 09 07:32 AM
by Gordon[_5_] Go to last post
5 351
32 upgrade Won't Install by Colin
I am becoming desperate. I am trying to upgrade from Windows XP Professional version 2002 Service Pack 3. The installation goes all right until it expands the files. It accesses the DVD drive, then I get the message: "Windows could not prepare computer to boot into the next phase of installation" and tells me to start again. It doesn't say what the problem is. I was having a bit of problem...
January 16th 09 06:55 AM
by Colin Go to last post
0 281
BSOD after Wednesday restart by Big Dany
Hi there, Last Wednesday the computer restarts itself for update reasons (i do not know the update). Then, Memory Diagnostics runs. After it computer get BSoD (hownever, I forgot the what error). I was able to restore my computer using Startup Repair and System Restore. Any other suggestion?
January 16th 09 06:50 AM
by Billy Buddusky[_2_] Go to last post
1 283
Microsoft mouse uninstalled by Ideacom by Ernst - EXE Graphics
My Microsoft wireless mouse driver was replaced by IdeaCom Technology Inc. - Input - IdeaCom HID Touch Screen (PS/2) driver. Update detail: Installation date: ‎14/‎01/‎2009 08:25 Installation status: Successful Update type: Optional
(Multi-page thread 1 2)
January 16th 09 06:34 AM
by am i person Go to last post
16 469
vista 32: problem adding to explorer context menu by Paul[_21_]
Is there a fix for this it looks unresolved: http://groups.google.com/group/microsoft.public.windows.vista.general/browse_thread/thread/8737432671263bf I can't add a context menu item to register dlls. None of the registry edits are working for me.
January 16th 09 06:33 AM
by Paul[_21_] Go to last post
2 267
Partition by Tom
I have a gateway laptop running vista home. I was originally going to do a dual boot system and run xp on a partition on the hard drive so I could run the many incompatible programs that would not work on vista. I did the partitions and then I decided to use VirtualPC to run my programs. This worked great for months, then virtualPC's hard drive swelled up and almost filled my c drive. I got...
January 16th 09 04:24 AM
by scottntx Go to last post
4 278
The Difference between Frank and Bill by measekite
Your answer goes he
January 16th 09 04:23 AM
by forum monger Go to last post
3 265
Windows Mail challenges by Louis Kwantes
I just bought WindowsVista, and am trying to get used to Windows Mail. My contact list currently has two sections, both containing addresses A-Z. How can I amalgamate them into one list? Also, when I click on 'send & receive' why does the program go through sent messages, deleted messages, ...... before accessing the inbox? Thanks in advance. -- Louis Kwantes
January 16th 09 03:29 AM
by Louis Kwantes Go to last post
0 287
Calling All Techs...Internet Problem by Tom[_3_]
I work for both a computer repair shop in Vermont (part-time) and an internet service provider, both of which are having customers call in and tell us that their internet is no longer working, yet their nic shows connected and they can ping yahoo, google, etc with successful replies. NO browsers work. 12 calls now within the past 24 hours.
January 16th 09 02:05 AM
by Patrick Keenan Go to last post
3 285
CD Drive will not read certain disks by bmn[_5_]
Hi everyone. I'm having a problem with my CD Drive (FYI, I use the term loosely meaning "that thing into which I stick my discs". I believe that when it is used properly it is more specific) Basically, when I stick a DVD or the Vista OS Disc (made by gateway, shipped in my laptop box) the laptop will read it! And I have no problems. But, if I try to put in *any* other disc, whether it be...
January 16th 09 01:54 AM
by bmn[_7_] Go to last post
4 317
Search tool in open/import/place dialog boxes by Boppy
Hi folks, one thing I do like about Vista is the search box at the top right of folder when in Explorer view. Is there any way to add this search box to other windows too? It would be especially useful when looking for images I am placing in Photoshop, CorelDraw, InDesign, etc. Thanks in advance for suggestions, Jo
January 16th 09 01:18 AM
by Boppy Go to last post

From The