Threads in Forum : General Vista Help and Support Forum Tools Search this Forum Feed Icon
Safe Mode by Summergal
Hi, I recently had a message on screen that there was a problem and my pc switched off. I was advised on screen that I should log in next using 'safe mode'. which I did. Since doing this, my tool bar has changed to white, instead of the normal colour on vista. I have tried unsuccessfully to change it back..has anyone got a solution I could try, many thanks. --
(Multi-page thread 1 2)
January 13th 09 05:03 PM
by Summergal Go to last post
13 359
Move Offline Files folder by Bruce Wheelock
Searched, but couldn't find any message asking about this, though I am sure it must have been at some time - my system has a 50 GB partition that is the C: drive where Vista is installed, and a 200 GB partition for the D: data drive. To deal with disk space issues, I want to move the Offline Files folder from the system drive to the data drive. Is there a way to do this? /Bruce/
January 13th 09 04:56 PM
by Jim[_49_] Go to last post
4 255
Upgrade HP Vista Home Image to Ultimate? by Me[_9_]
I'm buying a new HP PC and would like the 32-bit version of Ultimate. Normally, I re-image my new PCs, but am hesitant to do that now due to potential difficulty locating Vista drivers. HP offers 32-bit Ultimate on very few PCs now. I have a legal, unused license for Vista Ultimate and am thinking of buying the PC with 32-bit Home and running my retail 32-bit Ultimate in upgrade mode. I...
January 13th 09 04:38 PM
by LVTravel Go to last post
2 238
Vista Ultimate Blue Screen Problem by Eddie Walker[_2_]
My computer keeps blue screening right after startup, i have it set not to automatically reboot in hopes that id get an error code, but I dont. any suggestions as to how i can further troublehsoot this pesty problem?
January 13th 09 04:23 PM
by Malke[_2_] Go to last post
1 262
Remote Desktop Connection Issues by Danielle Aronson
I am having issues using a remote desktop connection from my Vista laptop. The same connections worked fine from my XP laptop. This is only true for connections that DO NOT use a VPN. I've searched the newsgroups and tried the following fix on my laptop but I'm still having the same issue: You have to run two netsh commands in a command prompt. The commands are the followings: netsh...
January 13th 09 04:11 PM
by Danielle Aronson Go to last post
0 289
Vista Upgrade Advisor won't work by Larc
I've been trying Windows Vista Upgrade Advisor but can't get it to work. I get a message that says, "We could not contact the web service at this time." Yet I'm connected to the Internet with a 7Mb cable connection and I have no problems connecting to anything including Microsoft.com. It's not a temporary problem since I've tried using the update advisor on and off for months with the...
January 13th 09 03:45 PM
by Larc Go to last post
0 226
ZoneAlarm or AVG? by webster72n
Which program is better suited for Vista, free ZoneAlarm or AVG, or is there a better one yet? Harry.
(Multi-page thread 1 2)
January 13th 09 03:06 PM
by John Barnett MVP[_3_] Go to last post
10 447
.contact file will not open in Windows Mail by Paul Moore[_2_]
I am using windows mail, if I open the contacts folder - all of the contacts have a ".contact" at the end of the name. If I try to edit a contact I get a message saying that windows does not know what program to use to open this file type. however - If I use create mail, and press the "to" button to pick a contact, I can press "properties" and edit the data. Does anyone know how to...
January 13th 09 02:16 PM
by Paul Moore[_3_] Go to last post
2 221
Outlook 2007 - problems with attachement with Cyryllic letters in name by MoreThan30
Hello I have Winows Vista Business PL and Office 2007 Proffessional PL (Polish). When I get an e-mail with attached file which consist in the name CYRYLLIC letter I have problems: - I cannot open the file directly from Outlook or openned file is empty - even if I save the attachement on hard drive and change the name the problem is not solved (sometimes files after saving have the size o 0kB!...
January 13th 09 01:30 PM
by MoreThan30 Go to last post
0 175
display- direct access and save settings by liu
I have 2 questions on displays: 1. What and where is the file for display executable? I hate to take 2 steps (personalization to display settings) to access it. I would like to create a shortcut and go directly there. I searched "display" in Windows folder but there is no executables were found. 2. I use external monitors on my laptop at home and office. Both has its own location. Vista seems to...
January 13th 09 01:12 PM
by liu Go to last post
0 196
destination folder access denied you need permission to perform this action by CapCity
I've been able to find countless references to the above message but the situations do not seem to be *exactly* like mine, or the solutions presented did not work for the original poster. Here's my saga: I had an XP machine die on me. There were 3 physical hard drives in there, and there are things I want to keep from all 3. All 3 were formatted and populated by the XP machine. I got one of...
January 13th 09 01:06 PM
by CapCity Go to last post
4 262
localreader.exe by [email protected]
I've been seeing a task from feedback panel app call localreader.exe. It uses one core to the max when it runs. What is it doing and why can't it play fair with the other apps?
January 13th 09 12:42 PM
by garyinga Go to last post
2 188
Where are and how do I save Contacts and Favorites by FireBrick[_2_]
Preparing to format c and d and then reinstall Vista because of some major problems. Have a big terabyte G drive and a DVD drive to save valuable files to. But I can't see a simple way to save/export the contacts other than .csv file. nor can I find the file(s) that contain my wife's 'Favorites'
January 13th 09 12:10 PM
by Andrew Murray[_8_] Go to last post
3 203
pending.xml missing by Machdel
Hi, I have problems, installing the windows update software 7.2.6001.188. It always fails due to error 8007371c. I tried anything imaginable, but it didn't work. In my windows\winsxs the pendin.xml file is missing, and in the registry HKLM\offline_components\ is nothing resembling to delete. There were some other files, as pending.xml.01c91bcdadd3a830 I removed them into another non OS directory...
(Multi-page thread 1 2 3)
January 13th 09 11:33 AM
by Machdel Go to last post
23 501
Add folder in "Open" window? by Daniel Royer
Hello! Open window: any idea how I can add a folder in the left margin, where there are "recent places", "desktop", etc..? daniel --------------------------- Daniel Royer University of Geneva daniel at royer dot ch
January 13th 09 11:31 AM
by Rick Rogers Go to last post
9 199
Timeslips & BDE in general on Windows Vista doesn't work by Problems with BDE (Timeslips) & Vista
I recently purchased Windows Vista, and found that Timeslips, a program costing over $800 per seat, no longer works. After considerable research, I have learned that this has something to do with the refusal of Vista to allow BDE to place its files in the places it must place them on the root directory. I have tried every alleged "tool" of Vista to try to make this program work...all to no...
January 13th 09 08:36 AM
by efa Go to last post
5 292
slow wireless by Rhys
(Also put this message under hardware - trust this is OK as unsure of subject group) Hi - Just got a new PC with Vista and am having trouble with wireless. Although connection to the net is fine via the ethernet, once I disconnect the lead, it's incredibly slow ( dial up speed) on wireless ( netgear wg111v2). Worked fine on old PC with XP. On the connections, I see that I'm connected to...
January 13th 09 07:28 AM
by Rhys Go to last post
0 185
People would rather pay for MS than get Ubuntu for FREE by Bill Yanaire
They are saying that people don't like Ubuntu even though Ubuntu does the basics of computing. People would rather pay for MS products that they know then to try and learn Ubuntu. Linux will always be a toy. http://blog.wired.com/gadgets/2008/10/msi-announces-w.html
January 13th 09 06:20 AM
by Nong Lavigne Go to last post
8 203
appdata file by Chet[_3_]
Hi group, I'm trying to locate the appdata file in Vista Home Premium. It's supposed to be in C:\Users\myusername\AppData\. But the files under my user name don't show appdata. Anybody know where that is? Thanx
January 13th 09 05:02 AM
by Synapse Syndrome[_2_] Go to last post
3 233
Win 7 driver incompatibility by Alan Edelman
My understanding, or misunderstanding, is that Win 7 32/64 is supposed to be compatible with corresponding drivers for Vista 32/64. It took about 5 minutes to find out this is not universally true. I have Epson's working scanner drivers for Vista 64 and these will not install in Win 7-64. The troubleshooter is as useless as it is in prior versions of Windows. If one cannot use supposedly...
(Multi-page thread 1 2)
January 13th 09 04:17 AM
by Night Hawk Go to last post

From The