Threads in Forum : General Vista Help and Support Forum Tools Search this Forum Feed Icon
Posting of Follow-Up Messages by [email protected]
Hey folks, Can you please post follow-ups as follow-ups to the original message(s), rather than as separate posts? Flame if you want, I really couldn't care less.
March 4th 10 11:38 PM
by Jimmy Go to last post
1 330
hovering pop-up Description by jtoolin73
On the windows desktop with no other windows open i can hover over the start button and a little discription opens displaying start. also i can hover over any of my quick launch icons and a description pops open telling me what it is. I've seen the same actions when i'm on a web page, i can simple hover over an item and a description will pop open. I would really like for this to be disabled or...
March 4th 10 11:30 PM
by Jimmy Go to last post
3 387
disk space by Tom[_26_]
My used disk space keeps climbing; 12/28/09 125 GB 2/14 209 337 655 296 GB free 140 711 415 808 3/3 243 007 549 440 GB free 107 043 880 960 2/14/10 3/3/10 Program Fies 170 622 536 441 GB 198 998 330 107 GB Windows 16.3 GB 16.7 GB Users ...
March 4th 10 08:50 PM
by Bob Go to last post
1 352
System limps by Noor Motani
I recently updated some drivers, particularly video and HP printer. Now my system has started limping. When I open any program, it takes for ever to open the program. Even after it is open, it takes a long to accept any keystroke. I am using Vista home premium 32 bit with 4 gigs of ram operating Dell Inspiron 531 AMD Athlon 5000 plus. I have full scanned with Norton IS2010 and Malware byte...
March 4th 10 08:35 PM
by smlunatick Go to last post
6 377
Updates fail by Bill Leary
Windows Vista Home Premium Dell Inspiron 1525 Removed a number of viruses, Trojans and other malware from the machine. It now fails on any attempt to do updates. It does the download, makes a restore point, says it's starting the installation, then fails. Failure codes include (but are not limited to) 80070490, 80246007, 80070016 and C000013A. The first one is the one that occurs most often.
March 4th 10 05:24 PM
by Ken Blake, MVP Go to last post
4 447
Viewing TIF files in Vista Home Premium by Scov
What is the Vista equivalent of XP's Microsoft Office Document Imaging? I would like to be able to view tif files when using my notebook running Vista Home Premium. I have downloaded Irfanview, but the quality of viewing is less than what I'm used to with MODI.
March 4th 10 05:18 PM
by nooraida Go to last post
8 413
Vista's Contacts not working by Bijan[_2_]
Hi, I tried using a tweak to move my "user files" folder's to "my documents" folder left from the XP OS which was on another partition on my hard drive, it didn't work well so I reversed everything. Now every time I click on "contacts", the "my documents" folder opens up which now shows as a shortcut in my Vista's "user files". My Contacts folder (which is empty) is still in the "user files"...
March 4th 10 01:24 PM
by Brink Go to last post
1 337
Transferring Windows License by Nobby
Am I likely to have any problems transferring my full retail Win7 Home Premium license when I upgrade my PC (new everything except drives and case). I was told I am likely to have to do a phone reactivation but the number is in the USA, there no number for UK customers?
March 4th 10 08:12 AM
by Dominic Payer[_2_] Go to last post
1 340
Vista not opening correctly to desktop by Dumb Bunny
Instead of opening to the Desktop at Start-up the computer opens at the Libraries folder. Anyone able to tell me how to change this behaviour?
March 4th 10 03:01 AM
by Dumb Bunny Go to last post
0 280
Question about 32bit and 64bit Win7 by tlee[_3_]
Hello, I am confusion about 32bit and 64bit OS. Could anyone inform me about their different? If using 64bit OS (Win7), does it similar to Mac OS X that auto switch to support 32bit and 64bit device driver? I mean can I install 32bit device driver into 64bit Win7 ?
March 4th 10 01:35 AM
by tlee[_3_] Go to last post
4 311
Refuting the MANY lies from the troll "andy t" by Bob O'Dyne
On Tue, 02 Mar 2010 22:58:07 -0800, Mark Conrad wrote: Wow! - It is difficult keeping up with Andy's lies because there are so many of them. Andy's newest lies Do you keep a scrapbook or something? Why are you obsessing so about this person? -- Ann's Little Brother Bob
March 4th 10 12:12 AM
by Mark Conrad[_6_] Go to last post
1 258
Removing a password by Artreid
My computer is running Vista Ultimate and is setup so that a password is required when it is powered on. Can I change that so I do not have to enter a password each time Note: The computer is mine and I have the password. Would just to remove it as I live alone and have no real need to password protect it at this point? Thanks
March 3rd 10 08:31 PM
by Artreid Go to last post
5 274
Vista file association table does not have ".wmv" ! by BudV
I received no help with this post under "microsoft.public.windows.vista.file_management". Running Vista Home Premium SP2. How can I add ".wmv" to the list?
March 3rd 10 08:24 PM
by BudV[_4_] Go to last post
2 321
Deleting folders off desktop by curleecues[_3_]
Hi I am running vista home premium 64 bit, with all updates complete. I have a placed a folder (contacts) on my desktop that I placed there for temporary use, I am now finished updating and backing it up, so I want to delete it. I can delete it, but then when I restart the computor it is there again. I have deleted all the files in the folder, but how do I delete the folder permanently...
March 3rd 10 07:26 PM
by curleecues[_3_] Go to last post
4 340
Vista is more stable than Win 7 by nomore
I am kind of shocked by what I have experienced with Win 7. Every word is sad but true: Two out of 4 Win 7 installations have spontaneously totally gone south: Microsoft had absolutely no useful fix for either and of course blames the end user, vendor drivers, etc. Microsoft never changes their tune: difficult end user problems are always someone else's fault. Ever has it been ever shall it...
March 3rd 10 06:31 PM
by Russ SBITS.Biz [SBS-MVP] Go to last post
7 462
Vista x64 with HP Universal Print Driver and HP Laserjet 4100 printer by ca689
Hello all. I have successfully installed the HP Universal Print Driver on my Windows Vista computer for use with my HP Laserjet 4100 printer. When I go to print, the printer shows "1" in the queue as if it is going to send the data to the printer but then quickly goes to "0" as if the document was printed. The printer doesn't even blink. The printer works fine (if in most cases) if I use the PCL...
March 3rd 10 05:06 PM
by ca689[_2_] Go to last post
2 351
Can't change the icon on an .exe file by Stu
I'd like to change the icon on a .exe file on my desktop, but there is no "Change Icon" button when I go into the Properties of the icon for this type of file. How do I change the icon on a .exe file?
March 3rd 10 02:45 PM
by Brink Go to last post
1 291
sound when copying by Mark Licetti
First off your posting does not appear on MS Official Nwsgroup for Vista Support. Perhaps your account is flagged as spa* or you don't use Newsgroups reader to post, as most of us do. Anyways, to answer your question: You need to check whether WIndows Sounds was fully or partially disabled by accident. Use one of the mthods below (no difference): 1) Right-click on empty desktop area--.select...
March 3rd 10 03:25 AM
by Mark Licetti Go to last post
0 280
Toolbar won't auto-hide by Bob Newman
Why is it that the auto-hide feature on my toolbar will not stay working (XP, Vista, 7)? I'll set it and it will work for a few times and then stop working. If I take it off and reset it the toolbar will usually auto-hide for a little while and than the whole thing starts again. Am I doing something wrong? Is Bill doing something wrong? Thanks in advance... Bob
March 3rd 10 01:45 AM
by Bob Newman Go to last post
2 292
Unwanted folders with graphics by JLW
Why does Vista Home Premium (with SP2) on a SONY VAIO laptop automatically installs a folder with a "files" extension with two thumbnails for every graphic data file saved anywhere? For example when I save a photo abc.jpg, a new folder abc.jpg.files is automatically added. This folder contains two 4 kb thumbnails called vcm_s_kf_m160_150x150.jpg and vcm_s_kf_repr_150x150.jpg. Is this...
March 3rd 10 12:56 AM
by JLW Go to last post

From The