Threads in Forum : General Vista Help and Support Forum Tools Search this Forum Feed Icon
Booting Vista Home Premium by species8350
Hi, I can't boot Vista Home Premium. According to the diagnostics there is no problem. But all I get is a black screen and no messages. When I try to boot into any other mode, for example Safe Mode, I get the same black screen. This machine has only 512MB of RAM, is this the reason Vista will not boot? If not any suggestions appreciated. Thanks.
(Multi-page thread 1 2)
December 29th 12 03:52 AM
by Bob F[_3_] Go to last post
14 2,511
Huge file in Windows tracing by [email protected]
I have these two files: NDPTSP.log and KMDDSP.log in C:\Windows\tracing Do I really need them? Can I delete them and save 5 GB?
December 23rd 12 01:34 PM
by Andrew Rossmann Go to last post
1 2,148
Windows Vista, bad rep by Walt
How did Vista get such a bad rep? I've been using Vista for about three years now and have had far less trouble with it than my wife has had with her Windows 7. Was it that so many people Had XP, many still do, and it was so dependable?
December 19th 12 11:45 PM
by webster72n Go to last post
2 1,760
Error 1719 Installer Service could not be accessed by Computer Simplicity
Trying to load a Samsung PC Sudio from supplied CD Tried to download over the 'net with the same error report. Is there a Fix out there which deals with this? I can't find the msiexec in the place it is supposed to be. I don't want to tinker any more. (Tried some of the advice which failed) All the "help" and "Fix" programs I have tried were loaders
December 5th 12 08:36 PM
by Computer Simplicity Go to last post
5 1,857
Search Index - Rebuild or Restore Defaults by C and A Bredt
Running Vista Home Premium. Searching for filenames that are in My Documents no longer works unless I check the box for Include hidden, non-indexed, and system files. But then searches take over 3 minutes. It used to work fine. Should I Rebuild the Index or Restore Defaults? Thanks, CB -- C and A Bredt
December 5th 12 03:13 PM
by [email protected] Go to last post
8 1,903
What is using so much hard drive space? by ND Dad
My Vista is working fine but…I am on my mission to find out what is on my hard drive. Be gentle with me I am retired and not an expert, just and old EE who thinks this should work better. A few months ago I purchased a new IBM T61 Laptop (Vista Home Premium) to replace my IBM R32 Laptop (XP). I got a 100 GB drive since my old laptop had 80GB with only 35 GB used I thought I would be okay....
(Multi-page thread 1 2)
December 4th 12 04:32 PM
by lucidica Go to last post
13 2,596
Computer no longer multiboots by Ken Springer[_2_]
I hope no one gets upset with the crossposting, so if you reply, please reply/followup to all, not just the newsgroup you see this post in. Thanks. I've lived "dangerously" for a long time and never used any back up software. But I do things differently than most when it comes to storage of my data, so I've never lost any data matters, or to any great extent. Operating systems, well,...
December 2nd 12 08:47 PM
by Ken Springer[_2_] Go to last post
4 1,768
Windows Explorer often stopping when copying/moving files by Joe Bloggs
I'm running MS Vista Home Premium 32-bit SP2 Intel Core 2 Quad CPU Q8200 @ 2.33GHz, 4.00GB RAM, ATI Radeon HD 3650 For last few months when dragging/copying/moving files between folders I get repeated messages saying "Windows Explorer has stopped working", it re boots and then all is ok until I do same again Anyone suggest a way to fix this please? Thanks
November 28th 12 02:39 AM
by webster72n Go to last post
8 1,505
Multiple Monitor questions on hardware and software by Gene E. Bloch
On Tue, 20 Nov 2012 16:12:20 -0700, Ken Springer wrote: I don't use either, so can't confirm or deny you hypotheses. grin But they certainly sound logical. Sounding logical is the best I can hope for :-) -- Gene E. Bloch (Stumbling Bloch)
November 26th 12 11:01 PM
by Gene E. Bloch Go to last post
0 1,325
Access denied by webster72n
When using the command prompt 'sfc scannow' in administrator mode, I get 'Access denied' after trying to open the log file command C:\Windows\Logs\CBS\CBS.log in order to find the name of the corrupted or lost system files. My question: How do I gain access? Harry.
(Multi-page thread 1 2 3 ... Last Page)
November 25th 12 02:55 AM
by webster72n Go to last post
40 3,177
Owners of HP dv6-1299er Artist Edition help please by AFletcher
Could someone with HP dv6-1299er Artist Edition laptop send a file for me with its original Artist Edition 2 theme. I reinstalled my Vista and lost it. Thanks a lot. -- AFletcher
November 20th 12 11:47 PM
by David H. Lipman Go to last post
4 1,365
Multiple Monitor questions on hardware and software by Ken Springer[_2_]
A friend of mine want to set up a multiple monitor system in a new visitor center and asked for my help. This is not something I've ever had a reason to experiment with. Basically, she want's visitors to enter a "movie area" and have a video w/ sound or PowerPoint or XXXX automatically start to play on a monitor to the left. Then progress to the center monitor, the to the right and last...
November 20th 12 05:45 PM
by Ken Springer[_2_] Go to last post
6 1,500
When does support for Vista end? by Jim[_59_]
My m8 runs vista and i was wondering when support for this OS runs out.
October 31st 12 03:09 AM
by VanguardLH[_2_] Go to last post
4 1,486
Hard drive space by jonlamparda
I have a laptop I'm looking at for my cousin that has Vista Business version, with SP 2 I believe. Laptops computer is an excellent issue Tangent product. It has a 120 GB disk generate, and it says about 60 GB is used. I can as a "guesstimate" consideration for maybe 10 GB or so for system information, and programs that are set up. However, her Documents directory is simple except for the example...
October 28th 12 04:53 PM
by David H. Lipman Go to last post
1 1,353
Run as Administrator shortcuts by The Doctor[_2_]
Question: how do one invoke a Run as Administrator on a shortcut WITHOUT having to righ click? -- Member - Liberal International This is Ici God,Queen and country!Never Satan President Republic!Beware AntiChrist rising! http://www.fullyfollow.me/rootnl2k USA petition to dissolve the Republic and vote to disoolve it in November 2012
October 24th 12 08:49 PM
by kev815panatkevinpanzkedotcom Go to last post
2 1,240
Hard drive space used unaccounted for by Danny Kewl
Hi, I have a laptop I'm looking at for my niece that has Vista Business edition, with SP 2 I believe. The laptop is a school issue Tangent brand. It has a 120 GB hard drive, and it says about 60 GB is used. I can as a "guesstimate" account for maybe 10 GB or so for system files, and applications that are installed. However, her Documents folder is bare except for the sample files that came...
October 18th 12 09:59 PM
by kev815panatkevinpanzkedotcom Go to last post
3 1,334
filenames vs object names by sobriquet
Hi. I don't know if this applies to windows vista as well as windows 7, but in a dutch version of windows 7, windows automatically seems to translate filenames from english to dutch. This results in weird effects, for instance, two files apparently having the same filename in the same folder. When examining the file properties, it seems that there is a difference between the objectname and the...
October 18th 12 09:40 PM
by kev815panatkevinpanzkedotcom Go to last post
1 1,127
Internet Explorer has stopped working correctly by webster72n
Because my browser froze while windows was loading, I wound up doing a System Restore with an undo, since Internet Explorer, Health & Support and my Weather Bug Desktop stopped working correctly, due to a problem. How do I know what kind of a problem and how to fix it? So far I was always able to do it, but this one is beyond. Apparently System restore caused my current situation. I am on...
(Multi-page thread 1 2)
October 18th 12 09:37 PM
by kev815panatkevinpanzkedotcom Go to last post
16 1,247
Resize partition in Vista make me crazy! by Rambytes[_4_]
Hi, I try to resize a little bit my C: partition and I use the resize option inside Vista himself. After i've resize my C: partition from 50Gb to 40Gb, i reboot and Vista refuse to boot-up again, ask me 2 choices: try to repair (recommended) or boot normal. If I choose the "Try to repair", after few second, the computer reboot,
October 18th 12 09:26 PM
by kev815panatkevinpanzkedotcom Go to last post
6 753
The Application Failed to Initialize properly (0xc0000022) Click Ok to Terminate the by wadeb_21
For some reason I am getting this error code (Explorer.exe The Application Failed to Initialize properly (0xc0000022). Click Ok to Terminate the Application) whenever I try to log into my computer. I put in my password and then this message comes up and nothing happens it wont go to my desktop or anything. I then restarted and logged into my machine through safe mode and everything works. I tried...
(Multi-page thread 1 2 3 ... Last Page)
October 18th 12 09:23 PM
by kev815panatkevinpanzkedotcom Go to last post
52 2,569

From The