Threads in Forum : General Vista Help and Support Forum Tools Search this Forum Feed Icon
Missing Autoplay with CD's and DVD's by !kalboBill
I posted this 2 weeks ago and still have no solution. I'm running Vista Home Premium with latest updates installed. "!kalboBill" wrote in message ... This used to work fine but now does not. When I insert a CD or DVD, no dialog pops up. If I try to read the CD, everthing is fine. If I right click on it, I can run...
May 3rd 10 01:38 PM
by Mr. Arnold Go to last post
1 217
Media Center error 80040155 by #CB#
I'm running the RTM version of Vista - upgrade installation. I fired up media player and added the location for my music - all worked fine -misic added. however, when I fired up Media Center I got an error "unable to find ablum..." error 80040155. any thoughts?
November 21st 06 08:03 PM
by #CB# Go to last post
2 193
product key by $aze
My product key didn't work either. I installed without a product key, then entered it from within Vista and it activated fine. Hope this helps!
September 16th 06 04:58 PM
by Colin Grant Go to last post
1 215
Windows Mobile Device Center - Will Not Install by (db)
I've installed a Vista Business 'N' on a PC (new install, old machine) - and attempted to install the Windows Mobile Device Center Driver Update. The installation fails - "The update could not be installed because at least one Windows component required by Windows Mobile Device Center is missing" WTH??? I have read others having the same issue with Vista Business - but not having issues...
November 5th 07 03:32 PM
by FSP Go to last post
2 293
Window Clicks Ignored? by (PeteCresswell)
I replaced the System drive on somebody's Vista box - and things got better response-wise. But now it seems to be slipping into a state where clicks on windows are ignored. Click on a desktop icon, no problem... full functionality. But click on an open window or dialog box to close it, resize it, or just click a "Yes" or "No" button and there is no response...totally dead. This even...
December 30th 16 01:46 PM
by (PeteCresswell) Go to last post
0 873
Command Line As Admin: Endless Clock? by (PeteCresswell)
Got a Vista machine where I suspect either malware or some drive problem. User opens up Outlook, and it just clocks and clocks. The PC is effectively locked up and only a reboot will get it back. I open up a Command Line and no problem: I can Ping, list C: directories, and so-forth. But the Command window wants to be opened with "Elevated Mode", which I
January 31st 15 04:35 PM
by (PeteCresswell) Go to last post
6 693
Ludicrous (?) Number of Page Faults ? by (PeteCresswell)
I am looking at somebody's Vista PC with only 2 gigs of RAM installed. SP-2, AMD Athlon LE-1620 @2.4 ghz. They are having intermittent issues with the thing seeming to freeze up. When I put Process Lasso on it I see what seem like a *lot* of PageFaults. viz: https://picasaweb.google.com/108149798664924808733/Misc02#6221493998639175570
November 27th 15 05:16 AM
by Micky Go to last post
3 490
HP Compaq: DOA - Obvious Things To Check? by (PeteCresswell)
Family members HP Compaq/Older Athlon X2 just went belly-up. Only sign of life is a single green led glowing on the mobo: no power supply fan, no CPU fan, no response to DVD drive's eject button... First thought was power supply, but when I swapped in a known good power supply, no change. Then I figured "Maybe the on/off switch"... so I pulled out the switch and used a knife to jumper the two...
March 17th 16 06:14 AM
by Paul[_2_] Go to last post
1 976
Space Program: % Budget by (PeteCresswell)
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Budget_of_NASA It peaked during the years 1963-1969 with a high of 4.41% of the federal budget. Since then it's been mostly less than 1% of the federal budget. ..5% last year.... -- Pete Cresswell
March 13th 16 09:54 PM
by (PeteCresswell) Go to last post
1 609
Something Seems TB Eating CPU, But What? by (PeteCresswell)
PC is spending most of it's time at 100% CPU, but the heavy hitter seems to be hiding in SVCHOST. viz: http://tinyurl.com/jyr7l3l Response time was (and still is) at a crawl. Ran MalwareBytes and removed a couple of bad actors, ran the Norton uninstall for Comcast's competing anti-virus (Avast already installed).
May 14th 16 12:45 AM
by (PeteCresswell) Go to last post
2 992
Help! Intermittent mouse/cursor misalignment. by *(actualsize)
I have a brand new Dell XPS 420 running Vista, and I have an infuriating intermittent problem. At first, I though the left-hand mouse button was broken, because sometimes (only sometimes,) I'd hover the arrow over a box I wanted to click and nothing would happen. Not only would it not "click," the box wouldn't even highlight. After awhile I figured out that the mouse worked fine, but I had...
April 4th 08 07:57 AM
by [email protected] Go to last post
9 192
64bit vista? by ***** charles[_2_]
Hi all, Are there any programs out there that require and are designed for the 64 bit version of Vista and won't even install on the 32 bit version? thanks, charles....
October 25th 07 06:47 PM
by joel406[_43_] Go to last post
3 283
Older programs will not install? by ***** charles[_2_]
Hi all, I have a new Vista Basic 64 machine running on a quad core cpu. It runs Poser 7 great but when I try to add any/all of my other programs, it just ignores me. Some programs like an older Bible program generated an error message that said the program was 16 bit and the install died. So here are my questions: 1. how do I get Vista to run older programs, say 32 bit? 2. could this be a...
October 22nd 07 07:54 PM
by John Go to last post
5 191
Vista Basic justs reboots? by ***** charles[_2_]
Hi all, I have a Vista Basic machine that just reboots after I put in my password. I have been able to go into safe mode but several programs seem to "hog" the cpu time. I am not sure if my problem is an invasion from the Internet or a corrupted driver or what. I can boot up into command prompt safe mode cleanly but at that point I don't know what to do to determine what the problem is. Is...
September 3rd 07 04:50 PM
by John Barnes Go to last post
9 226
ATI CCC and Multiple Displays + TV by **__MIKE__**
Has anyone had any luck getting catalyst control center to work properly with profiles for different displays being turned on/off in RTM? I'm using the latest (beta) driver and having problems. Several were solved by turning off UAC, but still, when I try to switch to having only the CRT output on, the TV ends up being the only thing on; No matter what I try, CCC won't let me disable all...
November 30th 06 05:35 AM
by **__MIKE__** Go to last post
0 166
router connection by **__MIKE__**
From Windows Help: What happened to HyperTerminal? HyperTerminal is no longer part of Windows. However, you can use Telnet. It's a simple, text-based program that you can use to connect to another computer over the Internet. If you previously used HyperTerminal to troubleshoot modem problems, use Phone and Modem Options instead:
October 22nd 06 09:02 PM
by PaulB Go to last post
4 192
Rhapsody 4.0 Working in RC2 by **__MIKE__**
Rhapsody version 4.0 has been released and is working fine here in RC2!! -Mike
October 16th 06 04:43 AM
by **__MIKE__** Go to last post
0 178
Program Blacklist Location by **__Mike__**
Does anyone know where the program blacklist (for programs blocked due to compatibility issues) is stored? I want to use a blacklisted program (but only a small portion of it, which I believe is not part of the problem). I've have a Ghost image of a fresh install, so if it destroys the install when I run it it will only take 5 minutes to get back to a working system. Thanks, Mike
September 16th 06 03:52 AM
by **__Mike__** Go to last post
1 210
operation cancelled due to restrictions in effect on this computer by **__Mike__**
I get the following pop up error message when clicking on any link in any email in Outlook 2007 Beta 2: "operation cancelled due to restrictions in effect on this computer" I don't see any Outlook settings for it, plus the message makes it sound like Vista is blocking it. Anyone familiar with this? Thanks, Mike
September 15th 06 02:43 PM
by **__Mike__** Go to last post
5 186
Anytime Upgrade for MSDNAA by **__Mike__**
I'm a CS student and get MSDNAA; they've always made XP Home & Pro available but not MediaCenter. I assume they'll follow this trend with the versions of Vista they make available. Anyone know if anytime upgrade will work with an MSDNAA license. Also, are the anytime upgrade prices (for retail versions, not MSDNAA) posted or known?\ -Mike
September 2nd 06 05:02 PM
by Colin Barnhorst Go to last post

From The