Serial Ports, Com Ports and USB by Phil
I am trying to connect a device that has a serial port connector to a Vista computer. I got a converter to plug it into a USB port. When I plug it in I get a message that it recognizes the device(converter) and has installed the drivers. When I try to use the hardware that uses the serial port I get a message that it cannot find a com port. I have tried to manually connect it to every...
January 28th 09 11:03 AM
by Nate Grossman Go to last post
7 216
Nvidia Drivers by Phil
Why are the Nvidia graphic card drivers on windows update older than on the Nvidia website & yet windows update always recommends the older one they have?, I don't know which one to use, Phil.
September 28th 08 06:36 AM
by Phil Go to last post
9 354
Upgrade Hard Disk in Vista by Phil
Hi. I want to replace my existing main internal hdd with a faster, higher capacity model. I'm aware there are likely to be be licencing problems after a disk clone. Will someone please give me a link for the micorosoft recommended process to follow. Thanks
(Multi-page thread 1 2)
April 30th 10 08:08 PM
by LVTravel Go to last post
14 939
all cd's don't work, but dvd's still work by Phil
i bought this new toshiba labtop with a Pioneer DVD-RW DVR-K17A ATA Device, 3 months ago. it worked good for the first two months. now it just doesn't read cd's any more. when i try to play a cd it just kicks it back out. i don't get any error codes. all it says is to insert a disk. i also tried to install a webcam software too. it couldn't read that as well. seems like the only thing that...
May 18th 07 02:35 PM
by Phil Go to last post
2 100
Acer 620U drivers by Phil
Hi, I have an Acer 620U Prisa scanner that I would like to use on my Windows Vista laptop. Does anyone know if there are drivers for this scanner? I tried all over on the web and didn't find anything. The Acer website was no use at all!!!!! Thanks, -- Phil
March 29th 07 07:11 PM
by Cari \(MS-MVP\) Go to last post
1 110
Problem reassigning special function keys IntelliType Pro by Phil
All programs or files I've assigned to the special function keys on my keyboard start (open) --but are not "active" (have to Alt+Tab before I can use them) Any suggestions? IntelliType Pro 6.30.183 Microsoft USB Comfort Curve 2000 Vista Business SP1
February 1st 09 08:29 PM
by Phil Go to last post
0 157
device detector by Phil 12345
when vista is booting up,I get the message ''device detector is not working'' .. Windows cannot find a solution to the problem.Any ideas?
December 23rd 07 10:38 PM
by drmayeda Go to last post
4 121
CD installshield wizzard software not working. Help! by phil ace
I have vista home premium. Upon placing a CD (game) into the drive the installshield wizzard starts up. HOWEVER, as soon as it starts to transfer the game onto hard drive (C) it stops abruptly telling me the the setup has been interrupted and after which it closes. This has never happened before no matter how old the game. Any body any ideas on how to correct this fault? -- I Thank you all...
February 21st 08 12:43 PM
by Colin Barnhorst[_2_] Go to last post
4 120
Parallel to USB Cable Installation by phil allen
I am trying to use a SYBA USB to Parallel Cable to support my Color LaserJet 5 printer underVISTA. I checked SYNA and they stated support for only SPP mode but don't know where to change to SPP mode. Also, is there a special driver to change theinterface from Parallel to USB? I also tried using the installed Manhattan Parallel Port card but the result is always the same - data is loaded...
March 10th 08 02:43 PM
by jimrx4 Go to last post
4 181
How to Hide Drive in Vista and Still Be Able to Use it. by Phil B.
In XP I could use TweakUI to hide a disk drive from the kids and was still able to use the hidden drive. There is no TweakUI for Vista and I've tried to hide a drive with registry tweaks(HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Explorer) and via command prompt (using diskpart). The problem is that both ways leave hidden drives that are not usable. It's as if...
November 1st 09 05:58 PM
by Bob Go to last post
8 241
Which graphics card for Aero? by Phil Chapman
Hi all, I have Windows Vista Ultimate on my PC, but the graphics card does not support Aero. I'm not interested in playing 3D games - all I want is to watch DVD films and use Media Centre and Aero features. Can anyone suggest a suitable AGP graphics card? My computer has 1280MB RAM and an Asus A7A266 motherboard - I purchased it in 2001.
(Multi-page thread 1 2)
January 29th 07 02:47 AM
by Graham Hickson Go to last post
14 194
Avermedia AverTV DVB-T card by Phil Purling
Has anyone had success running the AverTv application in Vista (32bit)? The card is the A761 model and while the XP drivers (not BDA compatable - Avermedia have not provided BDA drivers for this card)) install correctly and the Avermedia Hardware Test application runs successfully (apart from DXVA support) the AverTV application fails to run (Windows reports it as not responding) and has to...
February 3rd 07 12:52 AM
by Phil Purling Go to last post
0 200
How to I get Vista to recognise my new HDD? (Newbie Question) by Phil Smith
Problem : Vista thinks my new HDD is the same device and size as the old one. How do I get Vista to recognize that I have replaced it with a different model? Process followed: 1. Connected new 500GB SATA HDD (Samsung HD501LJ). 2. Coped C: to E: using Norton Ghost 12 and shutdown. 3. Swapped SATA cable from old C: (Maxtor 6V250F0) to the new Samsung. 4. Rebooted.
September 23rd 07 02:30 PM
by Richard Urban Go to last post
4 155
HDD Upgrade of C: Drive - How to claim additional space... by Phil Smith[_2_]
Hi, I installed a new 500GB Samsung SATA drive to replace my 250GB Maxtor SATA. I used Norton Ghost 12 to image copy the original disk to the new Samsung and then swapped them over physically. The new disk works fine but I obviously chose the wrong options when creating the image backup since Vista thinks the new disk is a Maxtor and only 250GB in size.
December 23rd 07 09:01 PM
by PurdueEngr[_2_] Go to last post
4 135
Vista won't boot after installing extra ram by PhilB
Hi everyone, I have a problem that i have encountered with a dual boot machine.First i will give the details of my computer: ECS NF650iSLIT-A motherboard Intel Core 2 CPU 2gb Ram (2xGeil Ultra 1gb DDR2 PC6400) 2xNvidia GeForce 8500GT graphics cards both with 1gb on board) 700w jeantech modular PSU Sound Blaster X-Fi Xtreme Audio Sound card Windows XP Home on 120gb HDD...
(Multi-page thread 1 2)
January 30th 08 02:31 PM
by Colin Barnhorst[_2_] Go to last post
14 277
External HD by PhilC
I have a external HD that shows as offline on my Vista Home premium desktop. However i could import it on my Vista Ultimate Laptop. The desktop is a new Dell Dimension and the Laptop is a year old Dell D820 Latitude
June 6th 07 04:34 AM
by PhilC Go to last post
0 163
shell32.dll problem by philhuntjr
When I turn on my computer a box pops up asking to run a cpl elevated. My only options are continue or cancel. I always cancel, but i would like to solve the problem. There is a details box and when i click it i get the following: "C:\windows\system32\runlegacycplelevated.exe" shell32.dll, control_rundll "stacgui.cpl" page=portmap Does anyone know why this happens and how to make it stop? i...
October 28th 07 10:41 AM
by Rick Rogers Go to last post
4 133
Vista will not install - Help please. by Philip
Hello guys. I recieved my original Vista Ultimate 64bit yesterday, and I have been trying to install it ever since.. It says I need a driver, for my cd/dvd. But I dont have any of that kind. cd/dvd Benq D60 Setup Core 2 Duo E6600 Asus P5W Dh Deluxe Nvidia Geforce 7950GX2 Western Digital Raptor 150gb (sata)
(Multi-page thread 1 2)
January 26th 07 04:31 PM
by Jim Black Go to last post
13 273
WINDOWS VISTA AND WINDOWS MOBILE by Philip Britton
I am new to Windows Vista and I want to synchromnize my Dopod C800 PDA with my notebook. I want to synchronize Outlook etc. as I did with Active Synch and Windows XP, but I cannot do so in the Sync Centre. It just wants me to synchronize music and other media ! I am using Windows Vista Ultimate. Any ideas ? Many Thanks -- Philip
March 27th 08 01:22 PM
by Philip Britton Go to last post
0 257
LEXMARK by Philip Saunders
Hi, Anybody know where I can get VISTA drivers for LEXMARK X2350 all in one. There's nothing on there site. For RC2 I'm shocked at lack of support on the driver front. Regards Phil
October 20th 06 01:11 AM
by Arge Go to last post

From The