Safely removing external HDD that system says is in use by another program by popalong
When I try to remove Drive F at the Computer window, or from the taskbar, it says "can't remove, in use by another program". This became an issue after I ran Windows Backup for the first time. Earlier backup was the Acer version. Acer's version backs up C partition and records on D. Windows backed up C and D and recorded on external drive F. Here is the contents of Shared Folders Share...
August 25th 09 06:58 PM
by popalong Go to last post
0 178
Install SATA/RAID controler after Vista installed? by Jonosin
I have a Intel DG965WH mobo in a system with Vista installed already. I need to have Intel Matrix Storage Technology installed to be able to use the SATA mode (instead of IDE 133). Intel site states this must be installed using F6 method durring OS installation. So, is there a way to do this with Vista installed? If not, can I perform the F6 for 3rd party RAID controlers with a repair...
August 25th 09 11:29 PM
by stevechardy Go to last post
1 153
i8042prt by Jani Ruohomaa
Hi! Does anyone have the same problem: At bootup Vista Home Premium freezes (progress bar stops) and you need to reset the system Usually it works after 1 reset but in the event viewer there is a entry like: The following boot-start or system-start driver(s) failed to load:
August 26th 09 02:26 AM
by QueenofNight Go to last post
3 170
Modem by William J. Lunsford
I'm looking for a PCI or PCIe fax modem with basic fax software that will work with 64-bit Vista Home Premium. I just need a modem and basic software for sending and receiving an occasional fax. I've done some searching, but have found little information regarding software included with modems. Bill
August 26th 09 05:10 AM
by William J. Lunsford Go to last post
5 261
Vista "forgets" USB Device Locations by phillfri
When I plug in the external USB drive I use for backup, Vista recognizes it, can read and write to it, etc. But within a few minutes Vista "forgets" the location of the USB drive. I note that, like most people, I have multiple USB devices plugged in. The error message I get is: ============================================= Could not find this item. This is no longer located in %3...
August 26th 09 11:55 AM
by Karoltgreat Go to last post
8 269
No Hard Disk Found by mike6493
I just finished putting a computer together today, and every time I try to turn it on I get the error message "No hard disk found". Its a new HD and so I've gone through and tried adjusting and trying different things in bios but I just get the same message. Part of what I dont get is that in Bios theres an option to change the boot order of the drives and in that section there it is "WD blah...
(Multi-page thread 1 2)
August 26th 09 05:57 PM
by Frank-FL Go to last post
11 357
Zen Vision: M no longer recognized by Calcitrix
I think it was after I installed Service Pack 3...my Creative Labs Zen Vision M is not recognized by my laptop anymore. It still works on my XP computer at work (but Creative doesn't have software for XP anymore; I can only interact with my Zen as a hard drive, basically) I have upgraded all of the software offered by Creative for Vista and followed many, many recommendations for cleaning,...
August 26th 09 08:34 PM
by Calcitrix Go to last post
0 233
External HDD Plug & Play Problem by pbl
Connected to my notebook via a powered hub are two external drives . I have it configured such that when I return from work I plug in the USB hub open my notebook lid and the external drives are immediately recognised and fire away. I have never had to reboot and it has worked well for 6 months. Then 3 days ago for no apparent reason my notebook would not display either of the drives under...
August 27th 09 02:10 PM
by pbl Go to last post
2 232
How to turn off Speedstep? by akita
Is there any way in Vista (32 bit) to turn off Intel’s Speedstep throttling? Having spend a couple of hours going through Vista’s various and numerous options (power options and so on) as well as spending some time researching this on the net, I simply cannot find a way to turn speedstep off via the GUI. My BIOS gives me two options: “Off” which sure enough turns speedstep off, but...
August 27th 09 07:41 PM
by undisclosed Go to last post
3 210
Xbox Live Vision Camera by DRCL
Well, when I had XP I never actually got the cam to work completely, but it did show up on Messenger as a working camera, but it froze the program when I tried to use it.. I tried installing it on Vista and have looked for solutions, but it won't work with anything. I have used guides to make it work, but I don't come up with the same stuff. When I go to the device manager it has something about...
August 28th 09 10:20 AM
by DRCL Go to last post
2 173
lost DVD drive by lizmike
When using windows DVD maker it would not finish disc. I clicked on cancel and when it finished the drawer would not open and the drive is no longer recognised in device manager. It is still rcognised in the bios. I did a system restore to a point before using DVD maker but to no avail. Help please. -- lizmike
August 28th 09 06:39 PM
by Peter Foldes Go to last post
3 189
Olympus VN-4100PC and Vista 64bit? by DrKleiner
Hi, First of all, hello. I just started working with my new Vista 64 bit System and apart from the usual 'getting used to it' issues all is well. Apart from one thing: I have an Olympus VN4100PC Digital Voice Recorder, which doesn't support any 64bit OS. Is there any way around that, emulation or whatever... Is there a way I can use it? I still don't know my way around in Vista, sorry... Thanks...
August 28th 09 07:09 PM
by DrKleiner Go to last post
0 187
Strange IDE connection wont allow internet acces by peanuthead
Hi, I have been working with vista x64 for several months now and everything seemed to work just fine up until recently when something really strange started happening. I have 3 physical HDDs 2 SATA and 1 IDE, vista is installed on the smallest SATA drive which is about 80gb and has no secondary partitions, the other SATA is 300gb and is split in half and the IDE drive is also split in half but...
August 30th 09 05:30 AM
by Tom Ferguson Go to last post
2 136
Netbooks with Windows 7? by mac
Are we expecting netbooks running Windows 7?
August 30th 09 01:25 PM
by mac Go to last post
0 198
Monitor won't sleep by captfbgnet
SECOND POST: Hoping for an answer... All worked well until I upgraded to the EVGA 9500GT 512 mb Nvidia card and latest nvida drivers. No problems with card or software install (other than a quick message about hibernation not working or something similar). All power options checked and rechecked and also advanced power settings checked and rechecked. Have re-installed monitor and updated...
August 30th 09 02:02 PM
by captfbgnet[_2_] Go to last post
2 202
cd/dvd drive corrupted after recent vista update (or something els by Adje-s
anybody experience this too and suggestions on how to correct /replace them there seem to be 3 drivers involved with my HP compaq presario cq70 optical device no qlue further than that. just no response with any disk action slimtype dvd A DS8A2L-A ATA device message: configuratiindata in register incomplete or damaged. (Code 19)
August 30th 09 02:41 PM
by Peter Foldes Go to last post
2 191
Slow keyboard after upgrade to Vista/IE8 by ladybug13
After upgrading to Vista X64 from XP, as well as to IE8, my keyboard can't keep up. Worse on some websites (like banking website) than others. Any ideas? Thanks. -- ladybug13
August 30th 09 08:58 PM
by Curious[_4_] Go to last post
6 176
Netbooks with Windows 7? by mac
Are we expecting netbooks running Windows 7?
August 30th 09 09:11 PM
by Richard G. Harper Go to last post
2 169
Running Vista Home Premium by JohnT
I have a Toshiba Satellite A205. Is there a way to disable the caps lock key? I usually just take the key off but was hoping I could do it another way. I'm not a great typist and sometimes I inadvertently hit that key when reaching for an "A" and usually don't realize it until a few words have been typed and then I have to tyoe them over again. Any help is most appreciated.
September 1st 09 12:37 AM
by John Galt Go to last post
1 159
Flash Drive Question by The Magnet
Hi, I have a program on CD. I need to boot from it. The clients notebook is one of these tiny things with no CD drive and 2 USB ports. I'm trying to see how to make an ISO of the CD I need to boot from, put it onto the flash drive, and then boot from that. Can anyone help me? How do I burn the ISO onto the flash drive so it will boot INTO the program, as it would if it was on CD?
September 1st 09 08:32 PM
by jeh_it[_2_] Go to last post

From The