Floppy caching? by Bill Leary
I put in a 3.5" 1.44M floppy and view it's directory (usually via a command line, but also with explorer). Now, eject the disk and put in another one. I get the same directory. This despite considerable activity by the drive (light goes on, head moves around). How do I get this thing to read the actual drive rather than what appears to be it's cached version?
April 8th 07 08:01 PM
by Bill Leary Go to last post
4 235
Erratic mouse by Bill Leary
Windows Vista Ultimate, 32 bit version. All updates installed. I've been using a basic Microsoft USB wireless mouse the entire time I've had Vista on this machine. About a week back it started having some problems. Wouldn't always scroll when the scroll wheel was turned, didn't always select when a button was clicked, even though I heard the switch in the mouse click, and didn't move...
October 30th 09 12:09 PM
by Bill Leary Go to last post
0 116
ATI 1650 BSOD by Bill Leary
I've just installed an ATI 1650 AGP w/512MB memory under Vista Ultimate with ATI's 7.2 drivers. Whenever the system tries to do anything full screen (play a DVD, start Media Center) it goes Blue screen. The display isn't up long enough to read properly. About the only thing I've really caught is that it involves atikmdag.sys. I saw a message thread elsewhere which said it was necessary to...
March 8th 07 02:26 AM
by Bill Leary Go to last post
0 117
bootmanager by bill n tulsa
my hp pavilion dv9000 now says no bootmanager found after a friend made some not needed changes now it will not start (vista)
July 22nd 07 05:50 PM
by dean-dean Go to last post
1 126
All In One Recommendation, Please by Bill Pomeroy
May I have some recommendations for All In One devices that are certified and/or work with Vista? TIA BillP
February 16th 07 04:53 PM
by Dan Go to last post
2 222
Is Dell 8250 compatible with Vista? by Bill Rankin
Has anyone tried to install Vista on a Dell 8250 with the Intel 850E chipset and the 8280 1BA Ultra ATA Controller? The earlier Windows Vista Upgrade Advisor said that the system was not compatible with Vista because the Primary and Secondary IDE Channels were not compatible. The current WVUA says that the system is compatible but that it has no information about the IDE Channel devices...
November 12th 06 06:18 AM
by Bill Rankin Go to last post
1 115
default folder by Bill Sauve'
Hi, I want to know how to change the default folder location of Windows Media player to the "Public Music" folder under the Public folder. The reason being is that I have multiple users on one computer, but we all would like to share the music I've downloaded to my library. I'm interested in setting the default download folder to "Public Music" then copy everything I have so far over...
November 14th 09 03:48 AM
by Bob Go to last post
2 277
default folder by Bill Sauve'
Hi, I want to know how to change the default folder location of Windows Media player to the "Public Music" folder under the Public folder. The reason being is that I have multiple users on one computer, but we all would like to share the music I've downloaded to my library. I'm interested in setting the default download folder to "Public Music" then copy everything I have so far over...
November 13th 09 10:55 PM
by Bill Sauve' Go to last post
0 157
Ideas about port configuration? by Bill Starbuck
I cannot persuade Windows Vista to allow me to configure the printer port. I have been using Win XP and my Epson printer works fine with it. But I just received a new Thinkpad X61 that uses Vista. I downloaded the Vista driver from Epson's website. I have a D-Link DI-824VUP router, which comes with a USB print server. I installed the D-Link printer server. D-Link says thay have tested this...
August 28th 07 12:39 PM
by Bill Starbuck Go to last post
0 98
Tuner card opinions - Vista by Bill U
I don't believe that ATI intends to support my AIW card so I'm looking for a TV tuner/capture card. Nvidia has a dual tuner card as well as Hauppage. Both seem to be supported in Vista. Any comments about either of these cards (or others) and the quality of the Vista support? Do they come with reasonable software for viewing/capturing, or is Media Center the only option? Is it a...
February 22nd 07 01:02 AM
by Bill U Go to last post
3 249
ATI All In Wonder tuner question by Bill U
I've been waiting for ATI to come out with Multi Media Center for Vista so I could use the TV tuner on my ATI video card. Today I found a notice on ATI's site that there is a known problem with the 1800XL (my card), that under Vista, users will get a "Tuner not found" error. Could another AIW user please tell me if their TV tuner/capture works with Vista? Was the tuner driver installed...
November 14th 06 10:19 AM
by Tom Lake Go to last post
4 183
ATI Support for AIW cards ?? by Bill U
People in this forum have mentioned that ATI will be supporting recent AIW video cards. I see the list of supported hardware on the ATI/AMD site, however support seems to mean providing graphics drivers. Can anyone point me to a spot on the ATI/AMD website (or elsewhere) that states their (ATI) intentions for providing capture/tuner drivers that work for the All In Wonder cards and Vista? ...
February 5th 07 04:17 AM
by bill Go to last post
1 216
tun miniport conflict by Bill W
I'm running Vista Home Premium over a wireless home network. Device Manager/Network Adapters shows 2 entries for Tun Miniport Adapter (#2 and #3). Both have the yellow ! next to them showing a conflict. I don't want to just delete one of them not knowing exactly what they are. Is there anything I can do to resolve this conflict? Thank you.
October 20th 09 12:56 PM
by DL[_3_] Go to last post
1 159
Problems with iTUNES and iPOD sync. by Bill Walter
Is anyone running iTunes and have you seen any of the problems listed below? I am running iTunes 7.0.2.16 and iPod 60G version 1.2.1. If I leave iTunes open and not playing any content for several hours I will get a pop-up window C++ Runtime Error with no additional information. When I close the pop-up iTunes will close. When I plug my iPod into the USB port I get an error...
February 1st 07 02:43 AM
by Quin Bonner Go to last post
1 165
What is the current status of Windows Mobile Device Center? by Bill Walter
I installed VISTA Ultimate back at the first of November when it came out. There was no Windows Mobile Device Center (WMDC) on the DVD image so I downloaded and installed Beta 3 WMDC from Microsoft downloads. It sort of works but seems to have a lot of problems: Dell and HP devices cannot be upgraded with a ROM upgrade. The upgrade starts and get far enough to kill all the device content and...
January 31st 07 01:34 PM
by Bill Walter Go to last post
0 176
SATAII drives drop off in VISTA 32-bit and 64-bit by Bill-K
I starting having problems when I upgraded Windows XP to Vista 32-bit. My SATA II Western Digital 160GB would make noise like the heads were dropping. The OS would freeze and then come back. It got to the point where I could do no work. So I loaded another SATA II Western Digital 160GB with Vista 64-bit and now am experiencing the same problem. When I run diagnostics or let the computer run...
July 31st 07 01:07 PM
by JW Go to last post
1 156
Should I get a RAID hard drive? by bill.boylan
I'm buying a new computer with Vista installed. One of the options I can specify is a "DataSafe" hard drive which is really three hard drives: two drives for the RAID 0 and one drive to backup the whole thing. I'm getting cold feet on this. If anybody reading this has had RAID experience, please give me some advice. Would I be happy with the RAID or am I just asking for trouble? Bill Boylan
April 27th 07 04:01 AM
by motarola2 Go to last post
3 121
vista don't recongize 4 gigs of system memory by billbrasky
Same deal here. My BIOS and Linux both see all 4GB of RAM, but Vista (x86) only sees 3GB of it. I'm also experiencing lots of BSODs with "MEMORY MANAGEMENT" errors. If I remove 2GB, everything works just fine... "geo85706" wrote: Vista does not see the extra gig of memory, i have 4 1 gig ddr400 memory installed and the motherboard sees it but vista don't.
September 20th 06 01:08 AM
by billbrasky Go to last post
0 118
vista don't recongize 4 gigs of system memory by billbrasky
Same deal here. My BIOS and Linux both see all 4GB of RAM, but Vista (x86) only sees 3GB of it. I'm also experiencing lots of BSODs with "MEMORY MANAGEMENT" errors. If I remove 2GB, everything works just fine... "geo85706" wrote: Vista does not see the extra gig of memory, i have 4 1 gig ddr400 memory installed and the motherboard sees it but vista don't. -- geo
September 20th 06 01:08 AM
by billbrasky Go to last post
0 112
Miisreporint video memory by BillClark
I have a brand new laptop w/ Vista Ultimate. I have the nVidia 8600GS w/ 512mb RAM on the card, Vista only reports it as being 256mb. What is going on? I've seen the same thing on a Dell laptop with a slightly different video card and being misreported too. Any ideas? I have the lastest Vista drivers for the card. Bill
July 5th 07 04:05 PM
by Bill Clark Go to last post

From The