Inspiron 8600 - No screen shutoff on lid close by Will Eriov
Hi all - I have a Dell Inspiron 8600 which I've been using with XP for years but just upgraded to Vista Business Edition last week. The OS has been running smoothly so far, but I'm having one specific problem: when I close the lid on the notebook, the screen no longer shuts off. I don't want the computer to go to sleep--I just want it to shut off the LCD. Any ideas what might be going...
December 1st 07 06:07 PM
by Will Eriov Go to last post
0 192
HP laptop screen is black!! by will45
i turn my hp laptop on, but the screen is black! it's running but nothing appears. already had hp tech support replace the hard drive and worked for a few months then all of a sudden this similar situation happens. not sure what to do and just need some advice! hp wants $140 to fix it supposedly they can do it all over the phone? --...
July 20th 09 03:48 AM
by LVTravel Go to last post
3 249
dvd writer no longer recognised as writer by Willem
Initially my dvd writer on my Acer Aspire notebook works fine, but when I active media center on Vista it is no longer recongised as a writer. It shows an error "no burner attached'. In de device manager it shows as a CD-Rom and reports errors with the driver but when I try to update the driver it reports I already have the latest version. I had to go back to factory reset to get it working...
February 28th 07 07:53 AM
by Linda Beverton Go to last post
3 272
Vista Ultimate 64x and USB Memory Problems by [email protected]
I used to have no problem with my various usb memory products and vista apart from slow file copying but now whenever I insert anything usb memory related I get the format question and if I do accept to format then it just freezes and never completes. I have a 2GB SD card that works fine on Windows XP and my Treo but will not work with Vista and experience the format question everytime it is...
November 24th 07 10:10 PM
by [email protected] Go to last post
2 108
Creative Audigy + RC1 = not working! by Willgart
Hi, the creative drivers for my Audigy 2 works fine under pre-rc1 but not under RC1 I'm using RC1 x64 version versus x32 for the pre-rc1 release. anyone as the same issue?
(Multi-page thread 1 2)
October 3rd 06 02:33 AM
by super_canard Go to last post
12 643
can't establish Bluetooth connection to my mobile device by Willi
Hi! I'm using Vista Home Premium with an internal Broadcom Bluetooth device. When I'm trying to send a file to my mobile phone, the phone can be found, I am asked to set a key for the transmission (on Windows), but then nothing happens, and I get the error message "The process can't be executed because the user is not authenticated" (Maybe it's not really that message in English, I...
October 19th 07 07:35 AM
by Willi Go to last post
6 151
help cd's wont play by william
hi guys i have just bought a new acer aspire 5310 and tryed to load a music cd in to the drive and it wont play i have tryed auto play and been into media player had a look but cant see n e thing can you please help??? -- thank you willy
September 22nd 07 08:50 PM
by william Go to last post
0 113
Always prompted to update NVIDIA RAID Drivers by william
My boot partition is RAID 5 array on Gigabyte MB with NVIDIA 590 SLI chipset. OS is Vista Home Premium 64-bit. Everytime I boot computer it says Windows has detected new hardware and tries to install new RAID drivers that computer found via Windows Update. This hgas been happening for six weeks. I am given three choices by Vista prompt. I can install drivers, wait til next bootup or don't...
August 2nd 07 02:52 PM
by william Go to last post
2 144
wireless motorola v3m modom by William
how do i speed up the tranfer rate? need to have broadband. got broadband servive in my area. transfer rate is now at 96 thanks william
July 17th 07 09:52 AM
by Richard G. Harper Go to last post
2 147
Second Monitor troubles with Vista Home Premium by William
I have recently purchased a new HP Pavilion Notebook with Vista Home Premium on it. I have a second Monitor, color, made by Trinitron in 1998. It worked fine as a second monitor on my old laptop running XP. When I connected it to my new laptop, it works fine while it is booting up, showing everything fine. Shortly after it reaches the point where my desktop has appeared, the picture starts...
March 16th 07 03:32 AM
by William Go to last post
0 91
plug n play devices by William
I am having alot of trouble with my new wireless microsoft mouse and ten key...both are supposedly "plug n play" devices. But neither work. Vista asks me to install drivers on plug n play...HELP!!!! I have gone to the manufacturers site and downloaded both drivers and nothing works. I wish I had stayed with XP. All this trouble is not worth it.
February 27th 07 10:12 AM
by Richard G. Harper Go to last post
3 476
No STOP message - System Freeze then Hard Reset when accessing DVD drive? by William
I am having an issue with Vista(6.0.6000) when i access my DVD drive with my Dell system. (Desktop Dimension 9150, with _NEC DVD+-RW ND-3530A ATA Device) Driver c:\windows\system32\drivers\cdrom.sys (6.0.6000.16386, 65.50 KB (67,072 bytes), 02/11/2006 08:51) The system will lock up (freeze) not responing to any mouse or keyboard input, then eventually reset back to the BIOS.
December 14th 06 01:38 PM
by William Go to last post
2 232
System Freeze then Hard Reset when accessing DVD drive - No STOP message by William
I am having an issue with Vista when i access my DVD drive. The system will lock up (freeze) not responing to any mouse or keyboard input,
December 14th 06 10:12 PM
by Richard G. Harper Go to last post
1 223
USB Flash Drive Boot by William
I know this is kind of off topic, but has anyone tried the install either Linux or Windows on a 4 gb USB Flash drive and then boot their computer from it? If so, what would be the procedure and how would be of a benefit? William
September 2nd 06 04:18 PM
by Mark D. VandenBerg Go to last post
2 513
Dual monitor support on Intel 82852/82855? by William Albert
Has anyone gotten dual-monitor support to work properly? Mine is stuck in cloned display mode, and attempting to extend the desktop onto the second monitor doesn't seem to have any effect. I've tried using the XP drivers, and while the drivers installed, Vista didn't load them, any any further attempts at loading the driver fails with a message saying that a file couldn't be found.
January 20th 07 01:41 PM
by P Cause Go to last post
3 106
Vista help needed by William Beard
Back in the hay day of PCs, Norton's Disk Test would test for bad sectors and, if found, would mark them as bad so Windows would not use them. The Norton test requirements were more stringent than Windows so any sector that passed Norton's test would pass Windows requirements. Is there a Vista supported product on the market today that will do this? All the adverts talk about data...
May 30th 07 09:35 PM
by Tim Go to last post
4 90
Operate BootManager with USB keyboard? by William Biesty
This is a cross-post; I accidentally posted in Installation & Setup. My ASUS A7S333 motherboard recognizes key presses on my Microsoft wireless USB keyboard to enter and modify the BIOS, whether the Legacy USB setting is enabled or disabled. Once the boot manager starts, (I dual boot with XP), I have to use my old legacy PS/2 keyboard to select which OS I want to run. Can you enhance the...
June 3rd 07 08:50 PM
by William Biesty Go to last post
1 131
need status screen for hiberbnate by William Biesty
While playing with the power options, I configured the (is it still called the "Start" menu?) power button to hibernate. When I clicked on it the behavior was the same as Sleep, except key presses beeped and power eventually turned off. Why not a screen that says "Windows is hibernating...." with that colorful "elipsis" bar? Also, which one wins, Sleep or Hibernate in n minutes?
February 26th 07 07:05 PM
by William Biesty Go to last post
0 432
Vista driver by William J. Lunsford
I'm looking for a Vista driver for a USB to Serial adapter cable or a cable that comes with a Vista driver. Bill
May 4th 09 05:33 PM
by Richard Urban Go to last post
3 261
Modem by William J. Lunsford
I'm looking for a PCI or PCIe fax modem with basic fax software that will work with 64-bit Vista Home Premium. I just need a modem and basic software for sending and receiving an occasional fax. I've done some searching, but have found little information regarding software included with modems. Bill
August 26th 09 05:10 AM
by William J. Lunsford Go to last post

From The