Boot Manager asks what OS to use every time I start up by jeremy7679
I've just had to replace my hard drive on my Dell Inspiron 1721 laptop and now every time I start my computer the Boot Manager asks what Operating System to use. Does anyone know how to remedy this? -- jeremy7679
(Multi-page thread 1 2)
December 24th 08 10:54 AM
by NormCameron Go to last post
17 413
Hard Disk Problem by Jass
My friend got a Hp laptop with windows vista home premium 160 gb hard but today i found out that his laptop is showing only 24 gb hard disk here is a screenshot. '' (http://img504.imageshack.us/my.php?image=57385011by5.jpg) Can anyone please help us out. Thanks
December 24th 08 12:21 AM
by Rick Rogers Go to last post
1 211
No sound by atwood
Hmm. well I have been trying to sort this out for days. I just reformatted from XP to Vista: P5k-E (MB), which had SoundMax on it. I don't know what I am doing so have followed forum directions to disable these drivers. I installed a sound card (Creative X-Fi) and the computer won't detect it. Took it to a shop and they were more useless than I am. It's not in a PCI-E slot and the card itself is...
December 23rd 08 04:23 PM
by Clark[_3_] Go to last post
1 219
Harddrive Noise by Clayton
Sometimes when I am copying files or opening files I get a pause (nothing happens) then my harddrive clicks once and away I go, I have already replaced 2 hard drives under warranty which were WD Raptors and decided to go with Seagate. I have created a Seagate diagnosic CD but everytime I boot to it nothing happens I only get a message saying something about getfat failed, I know the CD is...
(Multi-page thread 1 2)
December 23rd 08 01:10 PM
by Tom Ferguson Go to last post
11 334
CD/DVD Drives don't recognize discs by netfairy23
Here's the deal... I got a new Gateway FX530XM with Vista Home Premium (32bit). It has two double-layer multi-format DVD writers (DVD+/R+RW/CD-R/RW). It's not recognizing the discs that I put in (Audio, Software or DVD's). I put a disc in, it spins. When I go to my computer, it shows all the drives, but it doesn't show that a disc is in either drive. If I try to access what it on the...
December 23rd 08 03:45 AM
by spamme0[_2_] Go to last post
4 200
No Sound or Applications in Mixer by SMeddows
I've had this issue for quite a while. i've installed sound driver after sound driver and I still can't get sound. When I open the mixer, I don't see the default "Windows Sound" or any of the applications that are open. Also, when I try to play an MP3 in Winamp I get this error message, "Bad DirectSound driver. please install proper drivers or select another device in configuration....
December 23rd 08 02:04 AM
by SMeddows Go to last post
0 191
DVD/CD drive by pmh532
I read the posts regarding the lost drive, and I have somewhat of the same problem. Mine disappears, but if I restart my computer, it is there again. I am not at all comfortable in editing the registry. Is there some other, easier solution, or will I just have to restart it each time this happens? I am using Vista Premium on a 5 month old Dell.
December 22nd 08 03:43 PM
by PvdG42 Go to last post
1 216
Windows- no disk by jacktheripper
i started getting this message that a few ppl have been getting and been solved. however my no disk message has a different code that i have not seen other ppl experience. i even checked google and yahoo to search and i get no results. i started getting this message when i was trying to install photoshop. i deleted the program all together and restarted my computer. the message never came back on...
December 21st 08 07:08 PM
by jacktheripper Go to last post
2 215
Is there a way to uninitialize a just initialized drive without formatting? by Typhoon859
I initialized the HDD I was using for my PS3 with Disc Management so that Windows can read it when I right away realized that it wasn't such a great idea. Is there any way whatsoever that I can undo that so the PS3 can read it again? -- Typhoon859
December 21st 08 06:37 PM
by Typhoon859 Go to last post
1 172
Laptop Mouse Problems Big Time! by nancichappy
Could you please tell me how to fix this before I throw my laptop out the window??? Out of the blue my mouse on my laptop (using the mousepad) has been constantly dropping menus so that the only way I can get it to stop is to keep hitting the escape key! I tried downloading newer drivers for it and even did a restore to no avail. The only thing that seems to work is to use a wireless...
December 21st 08 04:26 PM
by nancichappy Go to last post
2 174
USB external drivers by johkaz
Hi to all, I am a newbie here on this forum, and I am wondering if anyone can help me with this problem? I have asked the same question on another forum, but I have received no answer about it. I have a 80GB hard drive in a USB enclosure, and I am trying to get it to work with Vista 64 bit. But every time I try to connect it to my computer, I keep getting a screen asking for a driver for the USB...
December 21st 08 02:33 PM
by johkaz Go to last post
3 198
USB memory stick problem by Starlord[_2_]
Hello ! Weird problem, my new machine does not do anything when i feed it with usb memory sticks. All my other usb stuff works nice (keyboard, racing wheel, sony ericsson mobile phone and so on....) Mobo is Asus P6T Deluxe, Vista 32 bit, core i7 920,4 gigs 1333 ddr-3. Newest bios and Vista updated. No overclocking. Have 2 usb-memory sticks, varbatim 8 gig and kingston 2 gig, and those...
December 21st 08 02:27 PM
by Starlord[_2_] Go to last post
2 173
Hard Drive Question by Paper
Hello, (I apologize if this is in the wrong section.) I was browsing the internet for answers to my question, but didn't quite find what I was looking for. It seemed as if you folks could help me. I currently have an HP Pavilion a6110n PC running Windows Vista Home Premium 64bit, believe. I got this computer after my old one seemed to fry, it wouldn't boot up, and still won't. I still have...
December 21st 08 12:14 AM
by Jesse McGurty Go to last post
5 212
Usb Serial Controller by rephil
I have just vtried to use a GPS divce and it says itneeds to install drivers for the divce cant find any nor can i find ansewr at ALK its for Co-Piolt 11 never had this prob with XP an new lap top has vista -- rephil ------------------------------------------------------------------------ rephil's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/members/rephil.htm View this thread:...
December 20th 08 10:58 PM
by LVTravel Go to last post
4 204
Bluetooth by Clayton
I've picked up a Bluetooth headset and now trying without success to play music from Windows media player to the headset but no luck, does my bluetooth dongle need to support BT audio? the bluetooth dongle came with my Dell bluetooth mouse and keyboard.. I can pair it ok would I need another dongle? any suggestions?
December 20th 08 03:54 AM
by Clayton Go to last post
0 193
BSOD.... everywhere i turn by defur the great
i need some help, before i go insane! i'm trying to fix a new laptop for a friend, a new-ish dell xps m1330 with vista home premium x86. i don't know any background to the problem cause the user doesn't have a clue. basically... i get a BSOD no matter what i do. as it is, the laptop won't connect to a wireless network. when i click on the icon on the system tray... BSOD. so i reboot, go into...
December 20th 08 12:10 AM
by Malke[_2_] Go to last post
1 183
USB Drivers Not Being Recognized by otzme
Hello, I have researched and researched. Have done almost everything I can do. I I have a Creative Zen Vision M30g. All of a sudden I noticed that it was not being recognized or sync'd when connect to my pc. I let it go for a while but now I am back at trying to figure this thing out. I went to Zen, they said it was a Native Driver. Whatever this is! I am assuming something to do with the USB...
December 19th 08 11:55 PM
by otzme Go to last post
2 198
Failure to find DVD burner on wakeup from sleep or hibernation by wayneP
I've checked the event log and it seems that every time this happens there is an Event ID 15 cdrom entry. I've done some searching on the web but I don't find a solution. If I restart the computer the DVD burner shows up and works. This drive has had a problem with the tray opening. If there is no media in the drive we have to hit the tray open button several times, but if there is media in...
December 19th 08 10:06 AM
by Chuck[_2_] Go to last post
1 209
Hauppauge HVR-1600 NTSC/ATSC and 64 bit Vista Media Center by billfern
I have it all set up and working fine, but want to plug in composite yellow connector to the TV Hauppauge card through a S-Video plug converter and watch my little X-10 camera. I was able to do this on an old Hauppauge Modlel 40201 using XP and Win TV2000. Worked great. Could use the Hauppauge Win TV program to watch my camera. I can't get the set up in Vista on media center to recognize...
December 19th 08 06:14 AM
by johnK Go to last post
4 216
Lost CD/DVD Drives and Drivers by Rich Greene
After reading this newsgroup, I haven't found a solution. Therefore here goes. My desktop machine recognizes two CD/DVD drives in BIOS, but that's all. They don't show up in the device manager or Windows Explorer. It's as if nothing at all is there. I figure I need to reinstall some drivers but don't know where to grab them. I'm using VISTA ULTIMATE with the latest SP. Short of removing...
December 19th 08 04:09 AM
by kennethmunn Go to last post

From The