Threads in Forum : Installation and Setup of Vista Forum Tools Search this Forum Feed Icon
black screen after windows logo with movable cursor by carm077
Hi everyone. My computer is encountering a black screen with a movable cursor after the windows logo on start up and I have no idea what is causing this. When I start from safe mode (safe mode, safe mode with cmd prompt) it does the same thing. One thing that I've noticed is that when I run it in safe mode it stops at crcdisk and continues on to the black screen. I have no idea what could be...
February 19th 10 01:40 PM
by carm077 Go to last post
0 223
opening email attachments by loret
i get this error message when i try to open an attachment: this file does not have a program associated with it for performing this action. create an association in the folder options control panel. can you please help me with this? what does it mean? how do i perform this action? -- loret lynn
February 19th 10 12:58 AM
by Mark Allread Go to last post
6 466
windows setup could not configure windows to run on this computer's hardware by shez1983
I am trying to install vista on my computer but i get that error. My installation process hasnt been smooth so far! What happens is that when i install vista (from usb) It restarts the first time, then it displays the message "vista is starting up for the first time or something" then I go to the next stage but there I get the error in my title. In my bios (DELL) i have only one option to...
February 16th 10 11:51 PM
by TheDuck[_2_] Go to last post
8 366
windows setup could not configure windows to run on this computer's hardware by shez1983
I am trying to install vista on my computer but i get that error. My installation process hasnt been smooth so far! What happens is that when i install vista (from usb) It restarts the first time, then it displays the message "vista is starting up for the first time or something" then I go to the next stage but there I get the error in my title. In my bios (DELL) i have only one option to...
February 15th 10 12:51 PM
by shez1983 Go to last post
0 189
Fresh Vista 64 install & Windows Updates not working by Alice[_8_]
i just instaled vits ultimate 64bit along with some other software and windows update shows update but when i try to in stall them they wont download just sits at 0kb
February 14th 10 09:39 PM
by Alice[_8_] Go to last post
6 375
Grouping Desktop Icons by Jen Boston
Before I had to re-install Windows Vista, I had a function that grouped desktop icons into a vertical 'column' on the left of the screen, with sections headed 'Communicate', 'Office', 'Connect' etc.; by clicking on these top headings, I could access the set of 2 or 3 shortcuts falling under each heading, which was a very handy way of grouping shortcut icons and looked neat. With my newly...
February 14th 10 04:40 AM
by Jen Boston Go to last post
0 191
Fresh Vista 64 install & Windows Updates not working by Alice[_8_]
i just instaled vits ultimate 64bit along with some other software and windows update shows update but when i try to in stall them they wont download just sits at 0kb
February 13th 10 07:02 AM
by Alice[_8_] Go to last post
0 227
Hibernation Vista by Margaret B. \(La.\)
I am using Vista Home Premium 32bit SP1, trying to do a backup to an external drive but computer keeps going into sleep or hibernation (I don't know the difference.) I went to the control panel - Hardware and Sound - Power Options and told it to never turn off display and never go to sleep, but this did not change anything. Instructions I've found tell me to go to start search, type run,...
February 13th 10 01:22 AM
by Margaret B. \(La.\) Go to last post
0 206
Hibernation Vista by Margaret B. \(La.\)
I am using Vista Home Premium 32bit SP1, trying to do a backup to an external drive but computer keeps going into sleep or hibernation (I don't know the difference.) I went to the control panel - Hardware and Sound - Power Options and told it to never turn off display and never go to sleep, but this did not change anything. Instructions I've found tell me to go to start search, type run,...
February 13th 10 01:22 AM
by Margaret B. \(La.\) Go to last post
0 293
In-place upgrade by kateri4482
I work in technical support for a local college and work a lot on student laptops. I have done many an in-place upgrade for Vista but only from the original CD. Can I do an in-place upgrade from the recovery partition instead? If so, how? Thanks!
February 13th 10 01:02 AM
by Curious[_6_] Go to last post
2 316
In-place upgrade by kateri4482
I work in technical support for a local college and work a lot on student laptops. I have done many an in-place upgrade for Vista but only from the original CD. Can I do an in-place upgrade from the recovery partition instead? If so, how? Thanks!
February 12th 10 09:31 PM
by kateri4482 Go to last post
0 182
Installled additional hard drive, now Vista says ...Evaluation cop by Terry
I recently added 2 gig memory, a new processor and a new hard drive (C) to my Dell XPS 420. I used my "(Dell) Reinstallation DVD" to install Vista to the new hard drive which is now C:. The original Vista is still on the old hard drive (E:). FWIW, during the new HD install I sometimes booted the PC from the new drive and the old drive. At some point, Vista put that "Evaluation copy" at the...
February 12th 10 01:32 AM
by Terry Go to last post
0 174
OEM setup fails by Jbob
Working on a friends system. It's an eMachines system. Comes with an OEM copy of Vista Home Premium. Somewhere along the way she upgraded it to Vista Ultimate which she has the boxed upgrade version with 32 and 64 bit DVDs. For some reason it started asking for license key again so took it from her to reinstall the OS. When I try installing using the OEM DVD it says it only has 30 days...
February 12th 10 01:11 AM
by Jbob Go to last post
0 193
"Bootmrg is missing". when i use the system recovery,i cant find any operating system by joelj09
sombody help, my computer is missing the bootmrg but when i do the steps to fix it using the system recovery to repair, its not finding any operating systems. -- joelj09
February 11th 10 11:16 PM
by R. C. White Go to last post
2 391
"Bootmrg is missing". when i use the system recovery,i cant find any operating system by joelj09
sombody help, my computer is missing the bootmrg but when i do the steps to fix it using the system recovery to repair, its not finding any operating systems. -- joelj09
February 11th 10 01:42 AM
by joelj09 Go to last post
0 246
Adobe Error by weslers
I am able to install all the adobe programmes then i go through the activation it say its complete when i go to use the programmes i get an alert box sayin Adobe Activation " you are not allowed to continue beacuse your account does not have the proper privileges. Please log in using an account with administrator privileges and try again" it work fine on windows xp but will not work since i...
February 10th 10 10:23 PM
by sthurlow Go to last post
4 373
error code 0x80004005 by chriskli21
when i try to run regsvr32 %SystemRoot%\system32\vbscript.dll \ i get the message the module "C:\Windows\system32\vbscript.dll" was loaded but the call to DllRegisterServer failed with error code 0x80004005 how do i fix this?
(Multi-page thread 1 2)
February 6th 10 04:55 PM
by Lee[_10_] Go to last post
17 768
Install IIS on vista by yuezhang448
My machine runs window vista home premium. I want it to become a server. Is it done by installing IIS? After install IIS, can I keep current data on disk? Thanks.
February 5th 10 10:28 PM
by PvdG42 Go to last post
2 341
Ms wondows update............ It wont update!!! by donskoops
rite ive been trying for weeks to update to windows sp2 and the dam thing wont work its keeps saying i have 21 important updates which includes SP2 at the end of the update its always say the same thing "windows updates enountered an unknown error" the 2 error codes aCode 490 and code 80070490 both mean nothing too me, if someone out there could help with this as its driving me a little...
February 5th 10 01:40 AM
by Rick Rogers Go to last post
4 425
Install IIS on vista by yuezhang448
My machine runs window vista home premium. I want it to become a server. Is it done by installing IIS? After install IIS, can I keep current data on disk? Thanks.
February 4th 10 11:16 PM
by yuezhang448 Go to last post

From The