Threads in Forum : Installation and Setup of Vista Forum Tools Search this Forum Feed Icon
obsolete USB Scanners and Vista by Vangellis
For those of you who have USB scanners that Vista has reported to be incompatible, do the following. 1- Make sure you have your scanner installation CD 2- Unplug the USB lead from the scanner to the computer. 3- Restart Vista 4- Plug in the USB cable for the scanner to your computer. 5- Vista will state "new hardware found, searching for drivers" let this finish, you will then be prompted for...
October 11th 08 06:19 AM
by Chuck[_2_] Go to last post
8 305
Not all users are "stupid" by Bjoern Sandvik
Hi, I would just like to make a statement to hope for a more streamlined deployment of Microsoft Windows. This would neccessarily apply to the upcoming version. While I am lenient to commend Microsoft on their efforts to make Windows as broadly accessible as well as safe, I have to say that I am greatly dismayed as an IT professional.
October 11th 08 03:59 AM
by Bjoern Sandvik[_2_] Go to last post
5 269
Vista Image Problems by sprocket1066
We are having problems with imaging our Vista laptops. Current setup is, small boot partition then large second partition for Vista C:. This is because we are going to use Bit locker to encrypt the main drive for security so the boot drive (system drive from MS eyes) and Vista partition (Boot drive from MS eyes) cannot be the same. Setup is very similar to systems sent to use by HP or Dell where...
October 10th 08 05:47 PM
by John Barnes[_2_] Go to last post
1 265
Retail Media + OEM serial (both legit) = No activation. by JWhipple
My wife's EMachine PC came with an OEM load of Vista Home Premium installed on it. There was no media included. We had to install XP Pro on the machine because of some classes that she was taking. Now that said classes are over with, she wanted to go back to Vista. Unfortunately now we couldn't do a restore back to the original factory load - something got hosed up when we went to XP.
(Multi-page thread 1 2)
October 10th 08 05:18 PM
by John Barnett MVP[_3_] Go to last post
10 556
Windows Vista Home Premium by tran
My son has messed up his installation of Windows Vista Home Premium (came pre installed on his desktop) and I'm trying to fix it for him. He is currently running Windows Vista Home Premium and every time the desktop loads it comes up with the error message 'Windows Explorer is Not Responding'. Is there anything I can do to fix this?
October 10th 08 09:10 AM
by philo Go to last post
1 287
New Setup Vista SP1? by Peter Schirmer
Hi all, a few days ago I've downloaded Vista SP1 via MSDN. While setup runs I think I've seen a difference to setup without SP1. The screen was black with a white text saying what setup does for the moment. I'm sure that this screen is new. Does anyone know somthing about it? Are there (other) changes in setup? Peter
October 10th 08 09:01 AM
by Peter Schirmer Go to last post
2 258
Vista Home Basic back to Xp Pro by MERCILESSPIT[_3_]
No other threads satisfied this issue. I'm sick of trying to work with Vista. It sucks. I disabled all of the necessary stuff (UAC, Defender, etc.) to try to gain control over my computer so that I don't ever have to see a "You need permission to...(fill in the blank)" dialog box again. Windows apparently thinks that I need protection from myself which is a crock of crap. Not to mention...
October 10th 08 12:30 AM
by MERCILESSPIT[_4_] Go to last post
3 257
How to access denied folders by Luis Ortega
I am pulling my hair out with this OS. I just got a new Dell laptop with Vista Home Premium. Since Dell doesn't provide drivers for win xp for it I am stuck with this OS. I am trying to organize it and set things up like I want but there are lots of folders in Windows Explorer that keep denying me access, even though I am the administrator. How the hell do I gain access to all the folders on...
(Multi-page thread 1 2)
October 9th 08 10:28 PM
by philo Go to last post
13 406
Language Settings for Spell check by Ms MoFo
I am just switching from XP to Vista and have this Windows mail. SOmething as simple as Spell chack, I cannot do as it says... " Language no longer available for Spell Checking, please select another from the Spelling Options dialog. what is going on? -- Ms Mofo
October 9th 08 03:15 PM
by Dave[_29_] Go to last post
1 233
Home Premium to Ultimate Upgrade crashed by DnaDoc
I was trying to upgrade from Vista Home Premium to Ultimate, and during the last step (I think it was "Finishing Upgrade"), it stayed at 78% for a very long time, over 2 hours, but the mouse still worked and the three blinking periods were still scrolling, so the computer had not frozen. At some point (I was out of the room at the time), it must have restarted but when it booted back up I...
October 9th 08 11:30 AM
by DnaDoc Go to last post
3 225
vista basic sp1 - recovery disc by raja
I have lenovo with vista home basic sp1 and they don't give me the recovery disk and gives the option one key recovery ( not so good ), and i am using dual booting with linux, when i want to remove the linux it asks for recovery disk to clean the boot sector, -- so please help me how to get recovery disk from vista sp1 and also help how to increase the size of the primary partition i.e C it...
October 9th 08 11:08 AM
by SIW2 Go to last post
2 468
Upgrade Win Xp to Vista Home Premium by Pat Garard
G'Day All, I see I need to do a clean install and then reinstall my Apps - Ok! In Xp I have most Apps in C:/Program Files and a few in D:/Program Files. Do I need to reinstall the ones on D:/Program Files? If so, do I need to use WET on drive D, or are the settings on C?
October 9th 08 08:50 AM
by Pat Garard Go to last post
8 266
Weird graphics after fresh install by Wonderbugg
I just installed Vista Ultimate on a Compaq Presario. It never asked me about any compatibility issues, just started installing. Everything seemed to work properly until after it ran its initial 'Performance' check. After the restart, all it does is have what appears to be ASCII characters flashing different colors. I have to shut the computer down. When I start it back up, I get...
(Multi-page thread 1 2)
October 8th 08 11:15 PM
by lizalias - Go to last post
16 398
Vista X64 on Asus A8N-E by Van G
I'm doing my prep work for installation of Vista X64 Ultimate on my Asus A8N-E board. Since it is an older board (nForce 4 chipset) I have a few quick questions as to driver installation: - Should I download and install the newest nForce 4 driver package from nVidia (15.23) or do I simply use the drivers included with Vista? * If using the nVidia package, when should I install them? - Same...
October 8th 08 05:48 PM
by philo Go to last post
2 244
Install Vista with HP Recovery disk by AceX
I recently tried to use the Vista repair tools to format the laptop back to factory conditions. I'd done the process before, so I was familiar. I backed up files (music and pictures and such) and continued with the restoration, but it hung up mid-process and gave me the nice error message that said something about some boot files missing. Well anyways, I called them and they said it was HD...
October 8th 08 05:45 PM
by SIW2 Go to last post
3 265
Change language by Nicolas Macarez
Hi ! My desktop is running Windows VISTA Business. It is running an English language version and I wish to change the language to French. Is it really possible, or do I really need to upgrade my version to VISTA Ultimate or VISTA Enterprise? I wish it exists another way... Help appreciated. Regards
(Multi-page thread 1 2)
October 8th 08 10:27 AM
by Richard Urban Go to last post
11 450
Screen Resolution Messed up i admin acount only by Nafisa123
:cry: I have Windows Vista Ultimate, I'm having a problem with my Screen Resolution on the Admin Account, The resolution is fine on the 2 guest accounts i have but in my own admin account, the screen resolution is fine when i first sign on and then 10 seconds later it goes to the lowest resolution and bit. I have changed it several times and then restarted my computer but that doesnt help. Any...
October 8th 08 02:51 AM
by Nafisa123 Go to last post
0 257
Generic Non-PnP Monitor, Emprex LM-1904 by tardedcat
Since i got a new PC and put a nvidia GFX card in it i have had lots of problems with my screen resolution. I have an Emprex LM-1904 Widescreen TFT Monitor, and a NVIDIA Geforce 8500 GT. Firstly, the 1440x900 res which it should support will not fit on my screen properly. I have a menu button on the monitor and it says 'Auto Adjust' this really ruined the layout of the screen when i accidentally...
October 7th 08 11:55 PM
by Mike Hall - MVP[_3_] Go to last post
3 259
KMS and Vista error C004f02a by Patrick Ambuhl
Hello, We are using KMS for our Vista desktops and I see a scaring problem, I installed a PC 30 days ago and I can see in the KMS logs that it registered with it at that time. But it appears only that day and not anymore in the logs. Today the user got the message about "this copy is not activated" and when I try to re-enter the ke ....2V3X8 I get an error c004f02a, the problem is that I...
October 7th 08 10:55 PM
by Joe Morris Go to last post
3 341
Should I be using Vista 64-bit by KCav
I have Vista Ultimate 32-but edition running on a notebook PC that has an Intel T7500 processor. I am running Office 2007. Do I need Vista 64-bit? -- KC
(Multi-page thread 1 2)
October 7th 08 08:01 PM
by Vangellis[_2_] Go to last post

From The