Threads in Forum : Installation and Setup of Vista Forum Tools Search this Forum Feed Icon
Installing Vista Home Premium 64bit OEM problems by yonaboy
My Specs First: Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Quad CPU Q6700 @ 2.66GHz (4 CPUs) Memory: 2046MB RAM Hard Drive: 500 GB Video Card: NVIDIA GeForce 9600 GSO Desk Operating System:Windows XP Home Edition Service Pack 2 Motherboard: EVGA 780I 3xSLI Motherboard Problem: when I try to install Windows Vista Home Premium 64bit I get
September 17th 08 07:54 PM
by Mick Murphy Go to last post
4 273
Vista freezing on boot up. by Skekses
My computer isn't more than a month old. This has only happened twice, but it shouldn't happen at all. I booted my PC and it freezes at the boot screen. First time is was at the black screen and second it was at the green bar waiting for vista to boot. I restart it and the computer says there was a software or hardware issue and to insert the install disc and click repair, and if there was a...
September 17th 08 07:45 PM
by Paul Montgomery[_3_] Go to last post
2 256
System services stopped & Event 10 errors... by Howard Woodard
I just did a clean install of Vista Ultimate sp1 on a new system -- see specs below. It now has a couple of errors that show up when I start it and occasionally reboots for no apparent rhyme or reason. Applying the Windows updates after the install was a royal pain. Many of the updates failed on the first attempt but would then report success on subsequent attempts. I just kept running...
September 17th 08 05:25 PM
by Howard Woodard Go to last post
0 238
Which to use ImageInstall or WindowsDeploymentServices? by smiley
These two items in the Microsoft-Windows-Setup componenet seem to have the same information, so which one should I use?
September 17th 08 03:53 PM
by smiley Go to last post
0 304
moving Vista ultimate to new SATA drive (added as second HDD) by tommyg
I'm sure the answer to this is already here. Somewhere. But can't find it. So I'm simply looking to move my current install of Vista Ultimate to a second new SATA drive I will add to my PC. So can I simply make an image file of the current C drive, then load that image on the SATA and make it the primary partition? Mainly, will there be any authentication/validation issues since I've moved...
September 17th 08 02:46 PM
by Mister ZigZag Go to last post
5 281
Install XP Pro after Vista for Dual Boot by FrOsTbYtE
I have a PC with a SATA Raid Primary Partition running Windows Vista just fine. However, I need to use the Nortel Contivity VPN Client and neither Microsoft not Nortel have a Vista compatible version publicly available. So, I was wondering if I could install Windows XP Pro on a second IDE Hard Drive and configure Vista to dual boot? I have found many instructions on how to install Vista on...
September 17th 08 03:13 AM
by Ramesh Kumar MVP[_32_] Go to last post
4 293
Installing Vista Home Premium 64 bit Upgrade by eraser33
Ok, First off, I purchased Vista Home Premium 64 bit Upgrade from Windows Marketplace, without knowing that I needed a 64 bit OS currently to run the setup. So, after I got that cleared up, I thought, maybe by getting the DVD I can clean install. Well, apparently you can clean install with the upgrade versions by bypassing the product key step in the beginning and tricking it into thinking you...
September 16th 08 11:13 PM
by SIW2 Go to last post
5 353
Install windows 2008 on to 2nd partition and use it as D: drive? by Bill Kearney
Is it possible to get the Windows 2008 install DVD to use the 2nd partition of a drive as D:? I've tried, really, I have. But it just does not want to recognize the partition as anything other than C: Regardless of whether the first partition is present, or how any of them are formatted. I cannot, for the life of me, get the installer to set up an install the way I want it.
September 16th 08 01:21 AM
by Darrell Gorter[MSFT] Go to last post
7 445
Reinstalling on corrupt drive. by Dpad86
My main hard drive went down thanks to a bad SP1 download and now I have to wipe it and reload windows. For some reason I can't find the product key. My drive is currently hooked up to another PC in my house as a secondary. I've read about the programs that will recover your product key from the registry, but I can't get them to tell me what it is on my corrupt drive just the main one. ...
(Multi-page thread 1 2)
September 16th 08 12:58 AM
by SIW2 Go to last post
11 565
vista administrator privilages nightmare! by leapfrog vista
this is crazy! it was working a few days ago and Im not sure what happened. All I want to do is to restore thumbnails for pdf files with adobe reader 9 in windows explorer. after installing - uninstalling and fiddling with reader 9, I have come to the conclusion that the problem arises from some administrative privileges on the registry. I however am administrator, I try to register...
September 15th 08 05:21 PM
by Paul Montgumdrop Go to last post
5 458
MS Office Enterprise 2007 internal Error 2203 by Zeeman
while installing office 2007 i receive internal error 2203. after checking various discussion group I found its due to TEMP folder permission not being sufficient. or path not set properly in environment variables. System account not having enough controll on destination folder. but i have tried everything mentioned on website to get rid of this error still having internal error 2203
September 15th 08 05:18 PM
by Peter Foldes Go to last post
1 355
help: EventViewer snap-in does not work/run by Joe Wong
hi there for some reason, my eventViewer snap-in does not run anymore, it show below error in the MMC instead I search the internet for similar issue, but they all suggested to uninstall win2003 server resource kit... which i do not have. any other suggestion ? thanks in advance
September 15th 08 04:12 PM
by Joe Wong Go to last post
5 356
Playing DVDs on Vista by dougt53
My new PC with Vista Business edition will not play DVD's on Media Player as I was told it would do. I get an error message saying no encoder installed. The help search said go to options and enable encoder. It still doesn't play. Do I need some kind of encoder?
September 15th 08 03:38 PM
by YouandI Go to last post
6 409
Problem with Word by southron_98[_2_]
:::: *::I run “Word” 2007 on VISTA and have a small problem I cannot correct. I messed up the default settings and cannot recover or set the page to where I want. I want the cursor to start at where the “heading” or inside address would begin. I think that is roughly 2 and ˝ inches down and 1 inch from the left side then I want the first tab at where the indention would begin; the right...
September 15th 08 10:39 AM
by Rick Rogers Go to last post
1 263
Outlook 2003 Contacts Transfer to Outlook 2007 by BJ
I just purchased a new HP Media center PC with Vista Home Premium. The older PC is a Dell with XP home and Outlook 2003 - on which I have ~ 150 contacts. How do I transfer these 150 contacts to the new PC with Outlook 2007?
September 15th 08 08:45 AM
by Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook][_2_] Go to last post
7 219
change attributes in Vista? by charles cashion
directory C:\users\myname\AppData behaves like a hidden directory. It appears that the "attribute" command is not part of Vista. So two questions: (1) How can I remove the hidden attribute? (2) Am I going to create a new problem when (if) I remove that attribute? Thanks, Charles
September 15th 08 01:48 AM
by Rick Rogers Go to last post
1 295
help: EventViewer snap-in does not work/run by Joe Wong
hi there for some reason, my eventViewer snap-in does not run anymore, it show below error in the MMC instead I search the internet for similar issue, but they all suggested to uninstall win2003 server resource kit... which i do not have. any other suggestion ? thanks in advance
September 15th 08 12:38 AM
by Joe Wong Go to last post
0 267
windows installer 4.5 by plipno
i have a windows vista premium 32bit and whenever i try to install or uninstall something, this message would show. "The Windows Installer Service could not be accessed. This can occur if you are running Windows in safe mode, or if the Windows Installer is not correctly installed. Contact your support personnel for assistance." i tried downloading windows installer...
September 14th 08 09:57 PM
by Curious[_4_] Go to last post
1 270
Installer Cleanup Utility hangs during install by Jon[_14_]
Hi Folks, fresh Vista Ultimate with all updates and I'm trying to install the Installer Cleanup Utility (msicuu2.exe) but it keeps hanging during install at the place where it says that it's checking my disk space requirements. There shouldn't be problem there (640gb drive). Ideas? How can I diagnose? I've tried installing as administrator and running cmd as administrator and installing...
September 14th 08 04:00 PM
by Jon[_14_] Go to last post
0 261
License question by Dave[_30_]
I am running Vista 64-bit on my home PC (Retail Ultimate). I use VMWare to allow me to run multiple OS's simultaneously. I have 32-bit XP running (originally came with the computer). Can I install 32-bit Vista from my Ultimate DVD in VMWare and use the same license key? I know the technical answer is yes, but as I develop commercial software, I need to make sure I am covered legally as...
September 14th 08 11:58 AM
by John Barnett MVP[_3_] Go to last post

From The