Threads in Forum : Installation and Setup of Vista Forum Tools Search this Forum Feed Icon
  Rating Thread Reverse Sort Order / Thread Starter Last Post Replies Views
"Recently Opened Programs" list and "Search for program" fail by Jelle Kooi
I upgraded from Windows XP Tablet PC Edition to Windows Vista Business. In Start Menu Properties under Privacy, I selected the (default) option "Store and display a list of recently opened programs". After having opened a program through "All programs", it is added to the list, but it seems to be impossible to start programs from this list. Using right click + Open does not help either....
February 13th 07 11:10 AM
by Jelle Kooi Go to last post
0 243
"recommeded program" by [email protected]
I right-clicked an MP4 file, clicked OPEN WITH|CHOOSE DEFAULT PROGRAM... but inadvertently chose Adobe Reader 7, which now appears in the "recommended programs" list. How can that item be removed from the list? Have searched REGEDIT for... MP4 OPEN WITH ADOBE READER 7.0 RECOMMENDED PROGRAMS
December 9th 07 12:12 PM
by dev[_2_] Go to last post
2 154
"Repair is disabled" by Luvpeaceguru
Trying to run a repair installation of Vista 32 Ultimate and it tells me that "repair is disabled". I've done it once before without any problem. Anyone know how to enable or get round this problem please? -- Luvpeaceguru
April 2nd 08 04:14 PM
by Brink Go to last post
5 175
"Repair your computer" option fails by shantd
I realize the resident experts must be sick to death of telling yet another guy how to solve their dual boot issues, but this is genuinely a problem I can't seem to find discussions on anywhere. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Anyway, to make this short, I had Vista ultimate x64 installed. I repartitioned the drive and installed XP (32 bit) fully expecting my vista installation to...
August 22nd 08 09:24 PM
by Brink Go to last post
9 239
"Required driver could not be installed" message preventing beta 2 by Keith T.
I am unable to upgrade from Vista Beta 2 to RC1 because of the following error message that cancels the install: Windows installation cannot continue because a required driver could not be installed. I have done everything from unplugging all USB devices and physicially removing all unnecessary PCI cards with no success. Any thoughts?
September 30th 06 07:50 PM
by zanderqin Go to last post
1 239
"Setup cannot determine if this computer supprts installation." by Jonathan Dewar
Greeatings, I downloaded RC1, got an email (finally) with my key, and when I try to run the setup I get the following error: "Setup cannot determine if this computer support this version of Windows." And then exits. Anyone know what causes this and if there's a way around it?
(Multi-page thread 1 2)
September 12th 06 01:06 AM
by AJR Go to last post
10 313
"Show window preview" greyed-out in Taskbar appearance menu by GB in Plano
Somehow, the ability to show window preview in the taskbar disappeared. When I go to the "Taskbar and Start Menu Properties", the option for "Show Menu Preview" is unchecked and greyed-out. Aero menus are operating correctly. Any ideas how to turn on the "Show window preview"?
May 25th 07 01:41 AM
by GB in Plano Go to last post
3 234
"Slipstreaming" Updates into Vista Images by brichter45
I was wondering if there is an easy way to install updates to Images on our servers without having to pull the images down every time, run the updates, and then image it back up to the server. I know in Office 2007 you can just add the updates to an updates folder that way you don't have to update office after it installs. We are currently using Ghost images, not WIM files. I know we edit...
October 10th 07 05:58 PM
by Joseph Conway [MSFT] Go to last post
1 112
"special folder" option for vista installation by Steven Wabik
i think this would be a great seggestion for any one who has used the Tweak UI tool to move the "special folders" around in XP. i even move around the my music, my pictures, and my videos folders around as well. i even move the favorites folder around as well. i have even moved the others around as well. so, here is my idea. to make it easier for use advanced users who like to move the...
September 17th 06 03:14 PM
by Steven Wabik Go to last post
0 122
"special folder" option for vista installation by Steven Wabik
i think this would be a great seggestion for any one who has used the Tweak UI tool to move the "special folders" around in XP. i even move around the my music, my pictures, and my videos folders around as well. i even move the favorites folder around as well. i have even moved the others around as well. so, here is my idea. to make it easier for use advanced users who like to move the...
September 17th 06 03:13 PM
by Steven Wabik Go to last post
0 110
"special folders" installation option for vista by Steven Wabik
i think this would be a great seggestion for any one who has used the Tweak UI tool to move the "special folders" around in XP. i even move around the my music, my pictures, and my videos folders around as well. i even move the favorites folder around as well. i have even moved the others around as well. so, here is my idea. to make it easier for use advanced users who like to move the...
September 17th 06 03:16 PM
by Steven Wabik Go to last post
0 115
"string STR_ERR_OS was not found in string table" by demian
when i try to install supercache 2, the message is showing. i guess this problem is caused by not installed .net framework, but i'm not sure. please help me!
March 30th 07 01:26 AM
by Rock Go to last post
1 258
"The product key you typed is already in use" by Gary Spivey
I purchased an upgrade package from Dell for upgrading to Vista from XP. When I activated, I got the message "The product key you typed is already in use". I think this is becuase I briefly used it (few days) and had to swap out the computer underwarranty. Since Dell was swapping the computer out, they loaded an OEM version of Vista on the laptop and told me I could use the upgrade disk on...
January 1st 08 02:06 PM
by John Barnett MVP[_3_] Go to last post
3 152
"The Upgrade Was Not Successful" by Shreveport
Great info in that message.... I am upgrading from xp to ultimate. I have run the upgrade advisor and another MS utility and it tells me I am fine... I always get to the last step and after a boot I get the message, and then rolled back. 1. How do I debug this?
June 10th 07 10:31 AM
by rpossert Go to last post
4 214
"this installation package could not be opened." by Exodus
i have been getting this message: this installation package could not be opened. verify that the package exists and that you can access it, or contact the application vendor to verify that this is a valid windows installer. when im using cmd and type "msiexec -i filename", i can open the file but.... for some of the installation files, you need to open the msi file from the setup.exe...
January 30th 08 01:12 PM
by Exodus Go to last post
1 614
"This installation package could not be opened." by rsmastersjr
I see a lot of threads for the above message but I haven't found a resolution. I can't believe editing the registry is the only way to solve this issue--a Microsoft guy came up with that one and it didn't work for the poster. This happened with iTunes and it happened ith the latest version of Windows Installer. Worst of all, it seems like the people with this problem just fall off the...
January 11th 09 03:25 AM
by chauser1 Go to last post
2 202
"This Version of Office Not Compatible With Your System" by gingerwa
When I bought my last computer (a Gateway, running Windows XP), I also bought MS Office 2003 Basic Edition at the same time (through Gateway, when I purchased the PC) Now I have purchased a new computer, an Acer, running Vista. When I try to install Office 2003 from the original CD I get an error message saying "This Version of Office Not Compatible With Your System". I have tried running...
June 20th 07 02:00 AM
by Bruce Chambers Go to last post
3 115
"Turn Windows features on or off" not working by Mark
The Windows Features does come up and I'm able to select items but when I hit ok and the dialog with the progress bar (indicating it can take a few minutes) comes up but quickly goes away and none of the features are added. I verified the windows process activation service and windows module installer is running but it still isn't working. Can someone please help me with this...
September 26th 07 04:07 AM
by brink[_1234_] Go to last post
1 122
"Unexpected restart" while upgrading from RC2 by ALZ
After leaving the upgrade process of Vista from RC2 to the the latest build found at MSDN overnight, I woke to find that the installer was unable to restart automatically. The installer closed and I restarted the computer. It boots into Windows Setup and continues the installation for a few hours until it encounters "an unexpected error" and has to restart. After restarting, the installer...
(Multi-page thread 1 2)
December 22nd 06 01:45 PM
by R. C. White, MVP Go to last post
12 303
"Unspecified Error" message in The Sims 2... by Sombre.Angel
Please help! I'm running Windows Vista Home Premium, The Sims 2 installed fine but when I try to open it it just says "unspecified error" I have an administrator account so thats not the problem...do I need to install that patch for it to run because I have super slow dial-up and it takes 3 hours and 14 minutes! But it cuts out at around 20% so I can't run the update. Seriously frustrated :)
June 13th 07 10:55 AM
by Rick Rogers Go to last post

From The