Threads in Forum : Installation and Setup of Vista Forum Tools Search this Forum Feed Icon
Vista x64 dual boot WinXP with RAID-5 ICH8R messes up RAID array by xgraph
I have a new pc (2 months old) with Windows XP and 3 500GB discs in RAID-5 (total of 950GByte available). I'm using the on-board Intel ICH8R chip with Intel drivers. Now I tried to install Vista x64 on a seperate partition of 100GByte (on the RAID-5). I thought this new shiny Vista DVD would have all the drivers needed for the latest and finest hardware. So I just started the PC from DVD....
February 19th 07 05:25 AM
by --roy-- Go to last post
1 283
Vista won't upgrade even after Services for Unix 3.5 is removed by JD Cooper
Hi , I'm trying to upgrade to Vista ultimate, but the machine i'm upgrading HAD Services for Unix 3.5 on it, Vista complained it couldn't complete the upgrade until this was removed, so I ran the un-install from add/remove programs and supposedly un-installed it and rebooted. Then I re-ran the vista install and tried to upgrade again and the damn thing still thing Services for Unix 3.5 is...
February 19th 07 04:50 AM
by JD Cooper Go to last post
0 227
comment out lines from unattended xml files - SIM? by Tone
Is there a way to comment out lines from the XML file that can still be read by System Image Manager? Thanks,
February 19th 07 03:50 AM
by Tone Go to last post
0 242
Can I do a clean install using the Retail Upgrade DVD by arknu
I have read in various places (including here) that the retail upgrade Vista DVD won't allow me to do a clean install (a real clean install where I format the hard drive). I simply cannot believe that this should be true. Am I supposed to sit around and wait for 1.5 hours for XP to install just to immediately replace that installation with Vista? I allways do a clean install of my OS - and...
(Multi-page thread 1 2 3)
February 19th 07 02:58 AM
by Browser Go to last post
23 707
Tuner uninstal by George
I ran media center set up with my tuner and found I like Beyond-TV better. Does anyone have experience with "unassociating a tuner" from media center? With it associated, it won't allow NTSC reception through Beyond-TV. Thanks in advance!
February 19th 07 02:24 AM
by George Go to last post
0 243
Vista 32 bit and ATI 550 Pro TV Tuner Setup by BobS
Here's one for the books. Been trying to find out if my ATI Theater 550 Pro tuner (on-board decoder) will work in Vista. Email to ATI resulted in a link to a page that essentially said that a driver would not be ready until mid 2007. I've also read here that others could not get it to work.... Tonight I noticed that there was an MS update for the ATI - so I downloaded it. Later I clicked...
February 19th 07 02:11 AM
by BobS Go to last post
1 201
Upgraded from XP to Windows Vista Ultimate by Jimbo
I had to choose the custom option for the install. It saved my old files in a folder called windows.old. The PC is working fine (except I cannot restart or shutdown without using the power button on my PC). Can I safely delete this folder now? (windows.old)
February 19th 07 01:09 AM
by neverforget Go to last post
4 265
Activation Code for a localnetwork. by Netto
i have 2 PC's in my home, and 1 copy of Vista home basic. i can activate 1 PC but not the other what i can do?
February 19th 07 01:07 AM
by Conor Go to last post
4 234
HELP! Need to uninstall Vista Beta by Sean23UK
I need to un-install the Vista beta from this P.C and put XP back on, the problem is I used an upgrade disk to install XP in the first place. When I got to install the XP again it asks me for a windows 2000, ME, 98, 95 or NT disk, which I don't have anymore! I don't want to be stuck with Vista on here as there is too many compatibiltiy issues at the moment! Help would be very much...
February 19th 07 12:48 AM
by Rock Go to last post
3 212
Bought the wrong Vista Edition by SteveB
I have an IBM Thinkpad with XP Pro. It passed all the hardware checks in the Vista Upgrade Advisor and IBM/Lenovo has upgraded drivers and Vista instructions. I bought a retail version of Vista Home Premium. IBM/Lenovos upgrade instructions are to do an upgrade but during the install Vista said I'd need Business or Ultimate to upgrade from XP Pro. I went ahead and made a fresh install. ...
February 19th 07 12:48 AM
by SteveB Go to last post
8 244
Letting Windows help you find possible problems by Adam Albright
Assuming you can at least get Vista (or other versions of Windows) to boot yet things don't seem right, here a few places to look that may help you solve your problem. A. Using System Tools Click on the Start button, All Programs, then Accessories, System Tools and finally System information. You'll see a wealth of information about your hardware, drivers, codecs and what if anything is a issue...
February 18th 07 10:39 PM
by BobS Go to last post
1 201
installation problems, vista home premium by Mike
everytime i go to install (upgrade, not clean install) vista home premium, it checks the compatibility, downloads all the updates but as it begins reading the disc to install the files it gives me an error message saying that it cannot copy the install files. i ran the upgrade advisor, unplugged my external dvd-rw (i'm using an internal dvd-rom) and double checked that the disc was...
February 18th 07 10:31 PM
by mikeyhsd Go to last post
1 210
Letting Windows help you find possible problems by Adam Albright
Assuming you can at least get Vista (or other versions of Windows) to boot yet things don't seem right, here a few places to look that may help you solve your problem. A. Using System Tools Click on the Start button, All Programs, then Accessories, System Tools and finally System information. You'll see a wealth of information about your hardware, drivers, codecs and what if anything is a issue...
February 18th 07 10:28 PM
by Adam Albright Go to last post
0 197
2nd Partition Issue by Saqib Khan
Hi, I upgraded my laptop (Dell XPSM1210) from WinXP SP2 to Win Vista Business Edition. Everything went well and I used it for few days but due to some applications incompatibility I reload the WinXP SP2. I used the WinXP SP2 CD and format the C partition as NTFS, but I can't access my 2nd partition D. Msg is saying Access Denied and it shows me as Local Disk D: before it was Data partition...
February 18th 07 07:08 PM
by Saqib Khan Go to last post
4 206
System Settings Not Saving by Aart
Any advice here? I have been trying to save mouse settings, system icon settings (in taskbar notification area. Most of the time they are greyed out anyway and can't be selected, other times they are there and selected, but most of the time they are greyed out and unselected and not on the taskbar) for volume, power, networks, clock, etc. I have tried disabling the UAC (user account...
February 18th 07 06:34 PM
by Aart Go to last post
0 192
Passes Ugrade Advisor, Fails Install by 92869
Trying to install Vista Ultimate upgrade over XP Pro. System is new. Assembled since the first of the year, with the intention of running Vista. Configuration as follows: AMD Athlon 64 X2 5000+, in an ECS NFORCE4M-A motherboard ( CPU and MB purchased as a unit from Fry's), 2GB PC6400 RAM, EVGA e-GeForce 7600 GT video card, 2 ea WD Raptor SATA 74GB 10000 RPM hard drives running in RAID...
February 18th 07 06:20 PM
by Adam Albright Go to last post
3 217
Install Failure On Ultimate by chris gallacher
I get to the part where "running vista for the first time, this will take a few moments" then either I get a crash dump or upon several attempts of install a message that the install was not successful. According to the advisor nothing should stop me from installing vista, except a few proggies that may not run correctly. My box has plenty of horsepower to run this OS Can I install this from...
February 18th 07 05:11 PM
by chris gallacher Go to last post
2 200
Vista installation drive letters by LarryW
I have a system with a primary partition C: and an extended partition with drives D: and E:. I have XP installed on C:. I just did a clean Vista install to my E: drive. I've done multi-boot installs of NT and XP before and when I did, the installation to drive E: left it as drive E: which is what I want. After installing and booting Vista, the last partition (what was E:) is now C:, my...
February 18th 07 04:51 PM
by Fedwayguy Go to last post
9 235
Install Vista by northby
I am doing a clean install with Vista Premium. The pc boots from cd rom, the installation starts, but gets to a point where it says a cd/dvd drive device driver is missing. The Windows hardware advisor claims no problems with my existing hardware. Where can I get a driver?
February 18th 07 03:58 PM
by northby Go to last post
2 211
Double entry in user list by Tirado
When Vista opened for the first time, there were two listings of Thomas, one of George and one guest. Since I am the Thomas, I clicked on my name and was told to enter a PW, which I did...it got me into the program. But, using the same start up page, clicking on the other Thomas coes not require a PS. "Why not eliminate one," you ask? When I go to the users accounts, there is only one...
February 18th 07 03:32 PM
by Tirado Go to last post

From The