Threads in Forum : Installation and Setup of Vista Forum Tools Search this Forum Feed Icon
latest strange Vista problem by A
I empty the Recycle Bin and the icon disappears from my desktop. the only way i can get it back is to choose Personalize and re-check the icon box again. These are the most bizarre and interesting problems I've ever seen. I'd expect the kinds of problems I'm having in a beta version. -- Thanks, John
March 16th 07 11:43 PM
by sellevine Go to last post
8 183
OneCare firewall blocks me connecting to the internet by A
I have to turn it off and turn Windows Firewall on to get through. I upgraded that after installing Vista, so what's the deal and how do I fix it? Thanks, John
(Multi-page thread 1 2 3)
February 8th 07 02:47 AM
by Chris Hagler Go to last post
24 524
another hassle by A
now i can't use outlook or save files in word; says i don't have authorization. what the H is that all about? John
February 3rd 07 08:12 AM
by A Go to last post
2 102
broke Office by A
Outlook now says it can't find extend.dat and some other files, and I don't have authorization to use Outlook. So I uninstalled 2007 Trial and reinstalled 2003. Same problem. This upgrade has been a real disappointment and continual headaches. Does anyone know how I can get Office working again? Sorry for the crossposting but didn't know who'd have my answers.
February 23rd 07 02:38 PM
by Arun Go to last post
3 168
feisty problem by A
When I upgraded to Home Premium from Media Center 2005, setup added some sort of phantom user to my login page. Same name, but no passwords in existence work and I have to switch users to get to the one that does log me in. How do I get rid of the bogus one? I'm tired of having to go through the extra steps every time I start my puter. Thanks. John
February 3rd 07 03:24 PM
by A Go to last post
0 132
access denied by A
I tried setting up Meeting Space and got a message that i'm denied access. I'm the only one on my computer and upgraded from XP SP2 where I ran as an administrator. I"ve checked and have administrative rights in User Accounts, so how do I end this bogus stuff? So far, Vista trashed the network connection between my laptop and desktop via my wireless router, given me glitches I've never had...
February 4th 07 01:30 PM
by A Go to last post
2 136
turns 5.1 sound into 2-speaker sound only by A
This is getting frustrating. My integreated AC 97 Realtek sound built into the motherboard was "updated" by Vista on install of the OS. But it's turned it into 2-speaker sound instead of 5.1, even after uninstalling and reinstalling several times. It MAY (doesn't always) show up as 5.1 speakers when I try to configure them, but sound is only delivered through the right and left front...
February 8th 07 07:24 PM
by A Go to last post
5 224
Key is incorrect by A Bocanegra
I purchased a laptop about a month ago, and haven't been able to write the correct product key. I have tryied so many times that the system already gave me an error message. When I write the product key, when promted by the office programs, I write the product key that appears at the bottom of the laptop, and after it automatically gives me the following messge: The key is incorrect. Verify...
October 21st 07 06:04 PM
by Bruce Chambers Go to last post
2 133
Reinstalling Vista Business Upgrade by A Burness
Due to a hard drive failure I'm having to reinstall Vista. I have a valid copy of XP, however that is failing to install (I have left a query on the XP newsgroup relating to that.) Previous Upgrade versions of windows allowed you to insert a CD from a previous version to prove to the install that you could legitimately use it. Unfortunately there seems to be no option to do this within the...
February 23rd 08 05:23 PM
by John Barnes Go to last post
3 143
Creating partitions on Vista Home by A for [pine]Apple
Hi, I've a 320 GB HDD on my Dell - Inspiron 1525. Vista comes company installed and there are only two drives on it. C carrying OS and of 285 GB while a recovery drive D of around 20 space. I want to create 3 more drives on my system. When I shrink the Volume of C drive using Storage in Disk management console, I get only 90 GB as free available volume for shrinking. How can I get more...
December 30th 08 01:50 AM
by Mark H[_2_] Go to last post
7 223
Dual boot from separate drives by A J Ricaud
I have XP and Vista as dual boot on a single drive. I want to put Vista on a second drive and dual boot, preferably w/o having to select the boot drive from the BIOS. I was planning to: 1. Copy the Vista files to a new drive using the Seagate utility; 2. Delete Vista from the XP (old) drive and expand XP to the whole drive. Any problems w/this scenario? If this is OK, how do I dual boot w/o...
February 24th 08 02:30 AM
by peter Go to last post
1 151
Dual Boot problem by A J Ricaud
I have had XP Pro installed for a while. I used DISKPART, LIST VOLUME and SHRINK in the Vista Home Premium install process to create a Vista partition and keep XP Pro in a dual boot system. The Vista installation went fine and re-booted a couple of times, giving me the boot option screen foe Vista or an older OS. I selected Vista and eventually got to the point where Vista got 48...
February 16th 08 03:46 PM
by John Barnes Go to last post
2 162
Upgradte Vista homebasic to ultimate by A K Verma
hi there, I recently bought a new laptop which came with Visa Home Basic and i bought the Vista ultimate as well. I tried to run the CD and it didnot show me an option for upgrade all it shows is install. so if i install it would it over write the vista basic or would be install a new ultimate and i wold have 2 os.
March 5th 07 01:28 PM
by Mike Hall - MS MVP Go to last post
3 135
Vista basic and IIS by A K Verma
on Vista basic does it have the IIS, I type http://localhost and it gives me an error message saying error in default web site? i checked in the control panel but i coulnot find the IIS anywhere?
March 5th 07 01:51 PM
by Michael Go to last post
1 129
upgrading from XP causes BSOD in Vista 32 bit by A L
Hello- When I tried to upgrade from Windows XP to the 32 bit Vista RTM, the first boot into Vista BSODs. Does anyone know if I have incompatible hardware? I have: ASUS A8N-E Nvidia NForce 4 based motherboard w/ Athlon 64 3000. 2 GB of RAM Nvidia 6600 based video card Creative Sound Blaster Audigy soundcard (I realize there aren't drivers for this yet)
January 8th 07 03:39 AM
by A L Go to last post
5 180
I own premium, recovered basic by a Tim Holt
I have a license for Windows Vista Home premium. The recovery disks sent with my computer were faulty, so I had to send for new ones. They sent me the wrong version: Home Basic. It'd be more convenient for me if I didn't have to send out for new disks again and go through the entire recovery process once more. Surely there's some place I can simply plug in my Vista Home Premium product key to...
July 24th 08 08:14 AM
by a Tim Holt[_2_] Go to last post
9 276
Why do I want to install these updates? by A-non-i-moose
I have a new computer, installed it about ten days ago. A few minutes ago, a message popped up in the bottom right corner telling me to install Windows updates. I checked and found that Windows wants me to install between 386 and 423 MB of updates -- damn, that's about as much stuff as I have on my HD to start with. These are the updates listed: -- Office 2003 SP1 -- but I don't run Office...
January 31st 09 02:50 PM
by Joe Morris Go to last post
5 248
Adobe Flash Player 10 and Vista by A-non-i-moose
I am trying to install Adobe Flash Player 10. The file seems to install and download properly -- during and after install I get no error messages and the Adobe website tells me installation was successful. However -- when I go to YouTube, I cannot play videos. There is no Flash Player icon on my desktop and, when I go to Start All Programs, I do not see Flash Player as an installed...
February 4th 09 01:51 AM
by R. C. White Go to last post
5 269
Okay, I give up by A-non-i-moose
How do I tell if my Vista Home Premium has SP1 installed?? In Win XP I could go to Control Panel System System Info (or something like that) and see the version of XP. In Vista, the Control Panel shows only a screen filled with confusing icons and labels. And -- what is the latest SP for my system?
February 4th 09 11:35 PM
by Jim Moriarty[_2_] Go to last post
9 302
Product Key for Microsoft Office by A. G.Reid
I have been trying to set upmy computer but I am not able to finf the Product Key for Microsoft Office Could soneone plese help thanks -- AGR
November 2nd 07 10:36 PM
by Jupiter Jones [MVP] Go to last post

From The