Threads in Forum : Installation and Setup of Vista Forum Tools Search this Forum Feed Icon
  Rating Thread Reverse Sort Order / Thread Starter Last Post Replies Views
Upgrade from XP Home - SP2 to Vista Home Premium Failue by stevesl
I am trying to upgrade my older PC's operating system from XP (Home Edition- service Pack 2) to Vista Home Premium. I've run the Upgrade Advisor and performed all Pre-installation tasks (removed Roxio, disabled virus detection, etc.). The Advisor indicates that Vista will run on the system - although the maximum memory is limited to 512MB. The install / upgrade seemed to progress nomally -...
February 8th 07 01:28 AM
by Rock Go to last post
4 165
Upgrade from XP Home to Ultimate 64 Bit by marshalex
I'm looking at upgrading to vista ultimate using the ultimate steal version of Vista ultimate which is a download. I'm wondering how to make a bootable disc of the downloaded files so that I can do a clean install as obviously its not possible to install 64 bit within XP. Does anyone know how to do this? -- marshalex
January 19th 09 05:55 PM
by Curious[_5_] Go to last post
6 181
Upgrade from XP Home to Vista Home Premium by Walt
I'm planning an XP HomeVista Home Premium upgrade and I'd like to verify my upgrade plan. I verified my PC meets Vista upgrade requirements. XP is currently installed on C: with all other programs and My Documents installed on E: After I back up any IE and Outlook data, I want to format my C drive, make my CD drive rebootable, insert the Vista upgrade, reboot, insert my XP CD to verify I...
June 22nd 07 03:27 AM
by Don Go to last post
7 116
Upgrade from XP Home to Vista Home Premium by Bob Johnston
I have just upgraded from XP Home to Vista Home Premium on a brand new laptop (bought yesterday). Vista is working fine but all the programs from the XP installation are now in a windows.old folder (Office 2003 etc) None of these programs , including all the laptop utilities etc installed. How can I install all the previous software as all I have is the laptop product recovery DVD (Toshiba...
February 4th 07 11:07 PM
by news.microsoft.com Go to last post
2 205
upgrade from xp issues by JCGERLERO
the dvd won't let me upgrade from xp home... it says only a clean installation is possible as my os is written in a different language... any suggestions... i don't want a clean install... I know most of you prefer them but i do not... sugestions please! -- JCGERLERO
September 30th 06 07:47 PM
by Jupiter Jones [MVP] Go to last post
7 252
Upgrade from XP MCE - Possible to Move To A Clean Hard Disk? by Bob H
I've ordered a new PC - which will initially come with MS XP Media Centre Edition, but includes a free update to MS Vista which I will probably receive and install in February. At that time, will it possible to install Vista on a different, cleanly formatted, hard disk. Two reasons - firstly I'll have the XP MCE disk as a back-up in case it goes wrong, and secondly I'd like to transfer it to...
December 13th 06 02:41 AM
by Barry Watzman Go to last post
1 171
Upgrade from XP Pro to Ultimate Error by Paul
Hi, I am having trouble upgrading from XP Pro (SP2) to Vista Ultimate. The install program gets to the final stage (completing installation - 58%), then has a critical error following a driver install: The following file: windows/system32/drivers/wasfsd.sys is missing or corrupted. Status 0xc0000221
May 15th 07 02:47 AM
by Mr. Arnold Go to last post
7 173
Upgrade from XP pro to Vista Home Premium - What next by Lester Stiefel
Hi all, I have a problem with the install of Vista HP. In install of Vista HP Full OEM, I could not wipe the old drive (logical C:). It had the Vanilla XP pro install on it with all current updates. Vista install copied all this to Windows.old folder. Now that Vista Is up and running properly, I would like to delete the XP pro system folder and files. How can I Do this?
April 9th 08 12:55 AM
by John Henderson Go to last post
1 190
Upgrade from xp pro to vista? by Ken
If i perform an upgrade from xp pro which i bought to windows vista upgrade would that make the xp key redundant? I ask this because i read in some microsoft ulah or rules or whatever you call it that it makes your copy that you upgraded from unusable again. If so that means i have to buy the full edition if i want to keep my copy of xp pro or install win2000 first and upgrade from that? Ken
January 4th 07 05:36 AM
by Colin Barnhorst Go to last post
3 235
Upgrade from XP problem by Dan (zizi)
I have tried to install Vista RC1 on my Toshiba Qosmio F30 3 times now - 2 upgrades from XP MCE and 1 clean install. I got a blue screen after the "preparing to start for the first time" screen in each case - "Driver Power State Failure." The setup is then taken back to XP, where I am told that "the upgrade was not successful." It is a Vista capable laptop. I'm guessing it has something to...
November 4th 06 12:20 AM
by Eric_Draven06 Go to last post
1 119
Upgrade from XP Professional to Vista Ultimate by Daddyo74
I get the message "This disc contains a "UDF" file system and requires an operating system that supports the ISO-13346 "UDF" file system specification." when I insert the upgrade disk for my computer. I am running an HP 840X DVD Writer thats new in the system. How do I correct this issue to continue the install?
February 20th 07 11:34 PM
by Ian R Go to last post
1 254
Upgrade from XP to Vista by Matthew[_2_]
Hi all, My company is planning to upgrade all the desktop computers from Winxp to Windows Vista, but I would like to know if I need to preapre anything before the upgrade? Because I heard somebody stating that the organization have to prepare something like license server in order to activiate the Windows. We are now using select license key for Windows XP installation, just wanna know if...
September 10th 07 12:36 PM
by kctobyjoe Go to last post
5 128
Upgrade from XP to Vista error by Vin80
While upgrading to Vista, I received this error msg after about 2% of installation :" Windows cannot copy files required for installation. Make sure all files required for installation are available, then restart the installation. Error code : 0x80070001". Can anyone help me on this? Is it the DVD problem??
May 29th 07 10:21 AM
by Rick Rogers Go to last post
1 144
Upgrade from XP to Vista failed by David
I just bought Vista Home Premium to replace my Windows XP Home OS, 32 bit. When I tried to upgrade the system (after 3-4 hours of downloading and trying to upgrade) it tells me that it cannot upgrade the OS and is reverting back to the old OS. Why is that happening? I tried twice with the same results. I ran the Vista compatability program and it told me no issues were there to prevent me...
January 4th 08 07:59 PM
by ulTRAX Go to last post
3 164
Upgrade from XP to Vista failed by Barry N. Perkins
Hi, Upgrade from XP to Vista failed. I think I understand why, but Vista setup won't boot. I am still able to work on the laptop on XP. How do I remove the failed Vista installation so I can make a clean start once I've resolve the base issue? I'm assuming this is how I must proceed. Alternatively, is there a way to restart the upgrade process? Right now, the failed upgrade took so much disk...
January 17th 08 10:40 AM
by Rick Rogers Go to last post
1 132
Upgrade from XP to Vista Ultimate failed by lostoften
I am trying to upgrade from XP SP3 to vista ultimate 32 bit. I got the software from my school, and unfortunately they only offer an upgrade not the full version. I have tried several times and it keeps failing at the first reboot, after 21% of the way through "expanding files". It brings up a BSOD that leaves the stop error: Stop 0x0000007B. However I have followed the steps on the BSOD and have...
January 3rd 09 12:34 PM
by lostoften Go to last post
9 210
Upgrade from XPSP2 by Or Tsemah
The upgrade button is grayed out and i get an error saying: "The upgrade complience Checks could not be performed" Build: RC1 AV Disabled Anyone? Or.
October 3rd 06 05:46 AM
by Or Tsemah Go to last post
7 438
Upgrade has been disabled by Bryan Case
I get the following message when tryhing to upgrade my Acer Aspire 5100 notebook computer from XP to VISTA. Upgrade has been disabled. The upgrade compliance checks could not be performed. Your computer cannot be upgraded. The upgrade advisor tells me everything is a go. I am starting the upgrade from Windows not, booting from the CD. My file system has been changed to NFTS. Can anyone...
May 15th 07 02:32 AM
by Mr. Arnold Go to last post
2 152
Upgrade has been disabled: upgrading from Vista Home Basic to Ulti by MG
Want to upgrade from Vista Home Basic (32bit) to the Vista Ultimate version and getting the following weird information: "Upgrade has been disabled. The upgrade could not be started. To upgrade, you must be running Windows XP with service pack (SP2), or Windows Vista." And I'm running Vista Home Basic version - could somebody tell me what is going on?
(Multi-page thread 1 2)
January 3rd 07 05:24 PM
by JW Go to last post
18 318
Upgrade Home Prem. to Ultimate by ghodges
I have a HP Touchsmart with 64 bit Home Prem installed. I bought a Vista Ultimate 64 bit retail upgrade. When I attempt the upgrade it does not allow an upgrade. The message is: The upgrade cannot be started. To upgrade, cancel the installation and then choose to upgrade to a version that is more recent than the version you are currently running. Again upgrading from Home Preminum to...
January 15th 09 02:47 PM
by ghodges Go to last post

From The