Threads in Forum : Installation and Setup of Vista Forum Tools Search this Forum Feed Icon
Vista won't wake properly by Hiawatha Bray
I'm running Vista Ultimate. It's set to the balanced power plan, which means that it puts the computer to sleep after one hour of inactivity. Just one little problem. It won't wake up. When I touch the mouse, I see the login screen, but I can't type anything in it. Eventually, a screen saver starts to run, But the computer will not resume what it was doing, and I'm locked out of it and...
(Multi-page thread 1 2)
February 13th 07 03:36 AM
by Andrei Maraklov Go to last post
14 527
activation of vista or reinstallation of xp by leeroy2k6
Installation of vista all went smoothly untill right at the end, it again asked for the product key, which i promptly typed in. However the product key did not match this version (ultimate) there are no options to activate at a later date or any trial period.I cannot do anything with my computer not even reinstall XP. Can anyone help with steps to activate vista or reinstall XP? If I try to...
February 13th 07 03:06 AM
by Carey Frisch [MVP] Go to last post
1 266
Time Limit? by Flagreen
I have Vista Ultimate build 5840 which I recieved at the launch Tour event along with a product key. When I run winver it does not show an expiration date on this installation. So will I be able to use this indefinitely?
(Multi-page thread 1 2)
February 13th 07 02:55 AM
by Jupiter Jones [MVP] Go to last post
11 467
Vista Ultimate and Asus P5B Deluxe by Bill Davis Jr
Just built a new system with a P5B Deluxe and Vista Ultimate. Had one issue in the setup process but I worked that out. Now I have an issue with running Vista. Every once in awhile when loading a program or moving files around Vista seems to pause. For example say I go to load Word. I click on the Icon then Vista will take about 5 to 10 secs before it even starts to load the program. Like it has...
February 13th 07 02:35 AM
by Bill Davis Jr Go to last post
0 234
Error 70241 by DSt
Here is the message when installing a Vista Business Upgrade: "Upgrading the Vista Business Windows cannot copy files required for installation. The files may be corrupt or missing. Make sure all files for installation are available and restart the installation. Error Code:0x80070241". The system was previously used with Vista Beta RC1 which was perfect. I added 512MB ram and changed...
February 13th 07 02:10 AM
by DSt Go to last post
0 264
Clean install via Virtual Driver? by CrispyLlama
i was wondering if it was possible to do a clean install using a mounted ISO image on a virtual DVD driver. because Im having problems simply upgrading the same way. Also... would this fix the problem where when the installation finishes it goes to a black screen and just sits there? because when i try and upgrade using a virtual driver, thats all i get.
February 13th 07 01:42 AM
by CrispyLlama Go to last post
0 227
IMAP and VISTA by Dezignz
Hello, Regarding my office Dell Dim 8400 PC with fresh Vista install. When I add an IMAP account to mail, then go to the account.. windows mail only downloads 35-40 messages at a time... (there are over 2500 message in just the inbox alone) and the ones it does download I can't open. My laptop connected to the same network using XP and Express works fine. My home PC running Vista, going to...
February 13th 07 01:32 AM
by Dezignz Go to last post
0 245
Hardware and installation (2 questions) by tyler
Hey guys, I have a copy of Vista home premium UPGRADE on the way and had two questions for you. First of all, will Vista run well with the following specs. 1gig PC3200 DDR AMD Athlon 64 3500+ Nvidia Gefore 6600 AGP 256mb Motherboard is a VIA K8T800 Pro I plan to upgrade to 2gigs PC3200 in a month or two
February 13th 07 01:11 AM
by Kerry Brown Go to last post
1 256
nice quote for vista users..... by Seven
Linux is for people who want to know why it works, and don't care. Mac is for people who don't want to know why it works, it just works. DOS is for people who want to know why it does not work. Vista is for people who don't want to know why it does not work, they just want to pay microsoft for keeping them in pain.
February 13th 07 01:09 AM
by Seven Go to last post
6 224
Handwriting Bar by jimrx4
A simple query. Whenever I right-click a desktop shortcut to run as administrator I get the aithorization window but also at the top right part of my desktop I get a thin horizontal bar with a pencil at the left side and the word "Handwriting" on it. I click to close but this is annoying. I can't find documentation for this occurance. Anyone else get this?
February 12th 07 11:30 PM
by jimrx4 Go to last post
1 206
Leftover files from XP? by Watki
Take a look at this image: http://home.swipnet.se/quant048/Image1.jpg I was just going through some folders when I noticed that these (and several others on various locations) folders are not accessible also the dates and names seem to be wrong, look like Win. XP folders. The date and time I've pointed out is the date I installed Vista x64, so could these folders have been left on the HDD...
February 12th 07 11:21 PM
by Jane C Go to last post
1 259
USB Flash Drives (thumbdrives) fails to install by TonyR
Recently completed an upgrade from MCE 2005 to Home Premium. I thought the install went well, however, everytime I attempt to use a USB flashdrive it fails to install the correct drivers and I am left unable to use the device (it fails on each attempt, regardless of the flash drive, of which I have attempted to use various capacities and manufactures -- as well as USB 1 and 2. After the...
February 12th 07 09:53 PM
by TonyR Go to last post
0 216
Windows Media Player Question by loki1984
For some reason every time I use WMP11 in Vista, its creating a 'debug.txt' either in my root directory, or c:\temp. Is there any way to make it so that won't do this? I really have no real reason why I don't want it to do it, other than I usually place all my downloads in \temp and having to delete the debug.txt every few days annoys me :)
February 12th 07 09:16 PM
by loki1984 Go to last post
0 234
OEM Clarification - No BS by John C. Iliff
Great post...one point, how about the required 'Retail Version' to purchase up to two additional copies of Home Premium @$50 ea? That still sounds like a good deal to me, with several 'puters, and apparently not available in buying the OEM? John
February 12th 07 09:13 PM
by Adam Albright Go to last post
9 241
Roxio Easy Media Creator 9? by Nigel Molesworth
I've just installed Roxio EMC 9, and I now get a dialog box on reboot saying a "Sonic Solutions" driver has been disabled. Any thoughts? -- Nigel M
February 12th 07 09:03 PM
by Adam Albright Go to last post
3 277
Vista Upgrade within Vista by Distorted Vision
I've read about the using Vista Upgrade edition installing from within Vista. But does this allow you to delete the partition that contains the original Vista installation? Allowing you to create a new partition to install the final Vista installation on. To achieve a completely clean installation.
February 12th 07 08:49 PM
by Rock Go to last post
4 263
windows vista upgrade advisor by harsh
i have recentely installed windows vista upgrade advisor, as soon as i start it after 10-15 seconds it returns to the same screen with no results. I have already purchased a copy of windows vista ultimate. I have a HP laptop with xp home, 1gb ram and 100 gb hard drive, dont know what to do
February 12th 07 08:27 PM
by Vince Go to last post
6 289
How do I change the PSD size by SC
Hello, I set the PSD to 100 MB and found I do not need this amount of space , how do I cange it down from 100 MB to 50 MB? Thanks, SC
February 12th 07 08:04 PM
by Ronnie Vernon MVP Go to last post
1 234
HOW to REMOVE XP after VISTA INSTALLATION? by Nitin
Will the action below, then avoid the startup boot screen where it asks you to choose the OS for startup? Thks Nitin "Jimmy Brush" wrote: Hello,
February 12th 07 06:46 PM
by koze Go to last post
2 223
Upgrade with full version? by Nigel Molesworth
Can you use a full version of Vista to perform an upgrade? What I mean is: will the Product Key work, and will installed programs remain intact? Why do I ask? Having to install XP to do a future install would be a PITA, so I'd rather buy the full version. However, ATM I'd prefer to do an upgrade to keep my existing installed programs. --
February 12th 07 06:07 PM
by Nigel Molesworth Go to last post

From The