Threads in Forum : Installation and Setup of Vista Forum Tools Search this Forum Feed Icon
Yet another Dual boot question by DaveG
I've been working on this all night and have just about given up... I have 2 NEW SATA hard drives. I have a clean install of Vista Ultimate on one (DISK 0), and a Norton Ghost of my current XP installation on the other (DISK 1). I cannot seem to get my XP installation to boot from the Vista Bootloader menu. They each boot fine when they are on their own. I've tried all I can think of an...
February 11th 07 09:49 PM
by Rock Go to last post
3 201
UPGRADE QUESTION: Do you have to have a version of Windows installed in order to install the Vista upgrade? by JMI
Do you have to have a version of Windows installed on you PC in order to install the Vista upgrade? I recall with Windows XP's upgrade install all you had to do was insert the install disc from a previous version during it's install (Windows 98, ME, 2000). That was enough to supply proof that you owned a previous version of Windows. Has that changed with Vista? Thanks,
February 11th 07 09:30 PM
by Rock Go to last post
3 195
Windows could not update the computer's boot configuration by Kevin
After a great deal of searching, I am still unable to find a resolution to this. I am upgrading WindowsXP to Vista Business...well, at least trying to. Have tried a number of times now after making various changes and still no joy. Have tried the registry fix with PartMgr (but it did not need to be fixed in the first place). At this point, I am ready to put Vista back in the box as it does ...
February 11th 07 09:24 PM
by Kevin Go to last post
4 214
SINCE VISTA UPGARDE, FLASH WILL NOW NOT LOAD.... by Everything after Vista upgrade too wide!
Since my XP to Vista Ultimate upgrade, no Internet site using Flash will load properly. The Macrovision Flash site says Flash 9.0 is loaded, but the users of it cannot get past some kind of blocking. I have Spybot, but the "Immunize" function is turned off. I've faithfully followed the Help and KB fixing ideas and prompts.... to no avail. Thanks in advance.
February 11th 07 09:22 PM
by MICHAEL Go to last post
5 209
Getting "page_fault_in_non_paged_area" error on Vista Ultimate upg by Al
I've tried, unsuccessfully, 5 times to upgrade my XP Media Center Edition to Vista Ultimate. Upgrade runs fine until the final reboot, and then I get the BSOD with the above error about the paging file. Restore back to the old OS, and check that the paging file is system managed. Retry. Same error occurs. It gives a memory error as well, but the screen is there for a second, and then it...
February 11th 07 08:37 PM
by Ron Miller Go to last post
2 187
Dual Boot by MikeA
I have installed Vista Premium on one hard drive and have XP Pro on another. When I try to boot to Pro, the system now thinks I need a password to load. I have never had or used a password. Vista loads OK, it just won't load Pro anymore.
February 11th 07 08:08 PM
by MikeA Go to last post
0 206
Dual Boot Problem by mwalsh
I am currently dual booting with XP on my C: drive and Vista on a V: partition. How can I delete the C: partition and make Vista the entire drive, adn then change the letter to C? No program will let me do this.
February 11th 07 08:05 PM
by Ron Miller Go to last post
4 163
VISTA DISPLAY MAKES FACES TOO FAT! by Everything after Vista upgrade too wide!
I went from XP to Vista on my Toshiba Satellite 17" laptop.... all pictures, all icons etc. are too wide.... stretched so everyone and everything appears fat. I've spent hours in the Help menus.... I'm not smart enough to find the fix (as I only have a Masters in English....) any ideas gratefully received. The display is obviously de-anamorphosing to fit the wider screen, but the...
February 11th 07 07:49 PM
by F r e e Go to last post
4 183
Vista Home Prem. Installation Error by Murix Bob
I downloaded the upgrade advisor and it says my computer is compatiable with vista. So I installed it on my SATA drive, and when it boots up for the first time. I get an installation failed error. It only lets me rollback to XP pro. And in the whole process it screws up my lilo bootloader so I can no longer boot up in linux. My PC configuration is as follows: Custom Built PC. Abit KN8 Socket...
(Multi-page thread 1 2)
February 11th 07 07:30 PM
by Michael Jennings Go to last post
11 288
Vista new "security" features more a pain in the butt then anything else by Adam Albright
If I knew which Microsoft Redmond boy wonder wrote the code for improving "security" in Vista I'd have my hands around his throat about now! Just kidding... but damn, in the real world, this is a disaster for anybody that moves files around on their system a lot like I do. Consider: People send me via the Internet or email, video files which I edit and
February 11th 07 05:40 PM
by Adam Albright Go to last post
3 134
Installing XP After Vista? by pewe
Jonj How did you do this? I need to do the same thing. I can open BCDEdit but am not sure which commands to use and how to edit the file. Thanks.
February 11th 07 02:38 PM
by pewe Go to last post
0 153
Installing 64 Bit Vista Ultimate by Gary - Chicago
I want to upgrade to 64 Bit Vista Ultimate. I am running 32 bit XP Pro. Is Vista going to require a clean install? Can a clean install be completed with the upgrade download or do I need to buy the boxed upgrade?
February 11th 07 02:15 PM
by BobS Go to last post
5 173
Uninstalling upgrade and Reinstalling as fresh copy and Activation by jettaben
I purchased the Windows Vista Home Premium Upgrade.. Installed as upgrade from Windows XP - I have run into some snags and would like to Re-Install as a FRESH install (wiping clean - hard drive and so on....) Which can be done w/o a problem but I am concerned if I reinstall a fresh copy that I won't be able to "ACTIVATE" windows.... Will Microsoft see this as trying to install on a second...
February 11th 07 02:09 PM
by MICHAEL Go to last post
6 169
Vista Installation Lesson's Learned by Manuel Nonaca
At 12:00PM I started a Vista Ultimate upgrade which took approximately 2.5 hours, actually it was more like 1.5 hours and the other 1 hour was finding drivers for my Intel SATA raid controller and my 3Com SOHO NIC card. Lessons learned: a.. have drivers ready when ask or you better have another pc up and running to fetch them (.5 hrs lost). b.. if you are un-sure of the type of hardware,...
February 11th 07 02:04 PM
by Sharon F Go to last post
4 151
will this card work with vista by robert A.
my computer as a Nvidia GE Force FX 5500, does anybody know if this card is compatible with vista
February 11th 07 01:16 PM
by JW Go to last post
6 179
Windows experience "page failed to load" XPS M1710 by nrms
Just clean installed Vista ultimate on a Dell XPS M1710. When I try and run Windows Experience (WinSAT) to update the rating after installing NVidia video drivers; all I get is a blank window with "This Page Failed To Load" written across the middle. I have NEVER seen this problem before in much testing from Beta 1 onwards. Is it a Dell M1710 problem, an NVidia problem or a Vista...
February 11th 07 11:44 AM
by nrms Go to last post
0 159
How do I do this - it's driving me crazy by Adam Albright
On Tue, 06 Feb 2007 21:02:38 +0000, Dr Teeth wrote: I have an OEM version of Vista. I want to install it to a clean partition and a) use a third party boot manager and b) not have Vista place any files in my XP partition. Partition Commander 10 from Avanquest does everything Partition Magic does... and its cheaper. I picked up a copy some time back and it...
February 11th 07 11:08 AM
by quakechick Go to last post
7 172
Adobe Reader Setup by S Murder
I can't install Adobe Reader because it says the temp folder is inaccessible and to check to make sure I have write permissions to the temp folder. How do I solve this?
(Multi-page thread 1 2)
February 11th 07 10:06 AM
by Marco Go to last post
11 317
VISTA FIXING A BROKEN EXE ASSOCIATION by JDS_2006
So i was opening up an exe from a download manager and it asked the standard "open with" question - i was so busy clicking around and getting to understand vista that i chose INTERNET EXPLORER by accident. Now i cannot open up any EXE files as it just opens IE over and over again. How do i restore the "application" default back to the EXE file, it is not listed under the file types and...
February 11th 07 10:03 AM
by Michal Kawecki Go to last post
3 179
upgrading between editions by STFW
I want to know if I can buy any version of Vista, and decide later to upgrade to a different edition. It seems to me this was supposed to be a feature, and now that it's out I'm having trouble finding info on this. Say I buy a Dell with Vista Home Basic preinstalled. What if I want ultimate later on? Can I pay Microsoft and unlock the features without having to get new CD media? Same with...
February 11th 07 09:28 AM
by Richard G. Harper Go to last post

From The