Threads in Forum : Installation and Setup of Vista Forum Tools Search this Forum Feed Icon
question regarding search by charles cashion
Under XP, I could search for a document containing some string. Today, running Vista Home Premium, I tried to locate a document containing the string "spanish". Where is the box where you enter a search string? Charles
November 3rd 08 10:42 PM
by JerryM Go to last post
3 306
unable to start Vista by Elliot Feldbau
Got a message that a driver was missing/damaged: sys32/drivers/matrixfg.sys I have a Raid 0 array and upgraded from XP professional. No incompatibility issues were found on pre install scan. -- Elliot Feldbau
(Multi-page thread 1 2)
November 3rd 08 08:00 PM
by camybye Go to last post
10 679
Retrieving files after a re-installation of Vista by Scott Tapp
I just re-installed Windows Vista to fix a computer problem. Now it appears that I've erased all of my files and settings. Is there any way for me to retrieve these?
November 3rd 08 05:51 PM
by SIW2 Go to last post
2 287
product recovery cd rom - reinstallation possible with it ?? by Banana Joe
hey, is a reinstallation of windows possible with a "product recovery cd rom"? i had that one to install windows vista. i dont have a pc like from hp, dell or w/e, its a pc i could say wich parts i want and the guys in the shop made it and set something like a part of windows on it, so i only had to install a part of windows, thats why i got a cd instead of a dvd... is a...
November 3rd 08 03:10 PM
by John Barnett MVP[_2_] Go to last post
7 300
Partition problem. by rewindurmind
Hi. I am having problems dual booting both Vista x64 and XP SP2. Vista is currently installed, so I shrank the HDD volume and created a new partition called "E", then formatted to NTFS. But, when I boot off my comp to install XP on this partition, the partition isn't there? Any help is appreciated, thanks. -- rewindurmind
(Multi-page thread 1 2)
November 3rd 08 01:13 PM
by John Barnes[_2_] Go to last post
17 446
Windows Notification Area Issues by Dave Lee
This is possibly related to a recent "System Restore" event that I had to do - but maybe not. I used to have several very useful notification icons in the Taskbar, Notification Area, or System Tray (not sure which is the right name) that was in the lower right hand corner of my Vista Home Premium system (Dell XPS 1530 laptop). This is where the Clock is, etc. Recently (shortly, but not...
November 3rd 08 12:04 PM
by Dave Lee Go to last post
6 291
Vista 64x instal no detecting HD by FznCheese
I am currently in the process of building a new PC. I got it all put together but now I can't get Vista Business Ed. 64bit to install. I run the boot disk and I get to where it asks for where to save. It then does not detect my HD, I try to load drivers for my HD (seagate 160GB) but on their site they do not provide drivers saying that xp and vista have them already build in. I've tried to...
(Multi-page thread 1 2)
November 2nd 08 10:01 PM
by rive0108[_19_] Go to last post
17 427
Vista Catch 22 by Barnacle
Passing through a department store in Geneva I saw an Acer Aspire L100 small desktop PC discounted to circa 50% normal price. Because I needed another PC on impulse I bought it. At home in Berne I started it and, of course, the OEM Vista Home Premium OS was in French - okay, I thought, I could live with that although my French was pretty terrible. Then I saw that included in the CDs was an Acer...
(Multi-page thread 1 2)
November 2nd 08 02:05 PM
by Barnacle[_6_] Go to last post
10 542
Multiple Vista boot options by Ed Sowell
As I was stumbling around installing Vista Ultimate 32 I made some mistakes causing me to start over. The second installation went fine and the machine is runnin great. The only problem, really just an iritation, is when it boots up there is a multi-boot screen offering me two Vistas to choose from. Fortunately, the first one seems to be the good one so it will go ahead and boot without...
(Multi-page thread 1 2)
November 2nd 08 12:21 PM
by John Barnes[_2_] Go to last post
14 572
Vista Ultimate 32 Upgrade Problems by WalkinMtn
I tried to install Vista Ultimate and it crashed twice during install, so I grabed Vista Business and installed it and it works fine. I am trying to figure out what is different between the 2 that would let Biz install and not Ultimate. Any Ideas? --
November 1st 08 10:27 PM
by roraniel[_7_] Go to last post
2 261
Problems Dual booting. by rewindurmind
I have 4 harddrives. 2 SATA 2 and 2 IDE. 1 is my primary with Vista 64 Ultimate. The second is the one that holds my License codes (I don't ever want to touch this drive). My third is blank (IDE). 4th is a back up of everything. I want to install Win XP SP2 on my second drive. I can't describe how much I love XP. Anyway, I disconnected all drives apart from #3. I formatted and then installed...
November 1st 08 12:04 PM
by Ed Sowell Go to last post
3 289
Upgrade Error: Could Not Update Boot Configuration by Lance
Upgrading from XP Pro SP2 to Vista Business VLK terminated with the following error: "Windows could not update the computer's boot configuration. Installation cannot proceed" Reviewing the setupact.log reveals the following error (hard to find but search is your friend): 2007-02-06 16:02:59, Info IBS
November 1st 08 08:59 AM
by Mikey[_6_] Go to last post
8 669
Error 2303 installing Office 2007 by Erik[_3_]
Vista SP1 x64 While trying to install Office 2007 Ultimate, I got the error message 2303: Internal error has occurred c:\windows\installer\4120be.pie Please help. Thanks.
November 1st 08 03:04 AM
by Peter Foldes Go to last post
1 252
SoundMax drivers and sysprep -- better workaround? by Steve Maser
So, if you have a machine with SoundMax drivers on it, you have to uninstall them before you run sysprep. If you forget to do this (I have, unfortunately), you hose your Vista install and need to start over. Has anybody figured out a better way to deal with machines that have these drivers in them?
October 31st 08 09:39 PM
by Big D[_2_] Go to last post
7 285
Vista 32 vis Vista 64 format by jannerhank[_2_]
I formatted my hard drives in Vista 64-bit, now when I try to use them on Vista 32 they can not be found (other than in the BIOS). Someone has told me that the disk format between Vista 32-bit and Vista 64 bit is different? They also said that the format in Vista 64 is not reversable (like in the old 16-bit and 32-bit file formats). This does seem strange to me as I can't run FDISK and the only...
October 31st 08 08:06 PM
by philo Go to last post
1 239
Clean Vista Install reboots and starts over by suggamomma1121
GRRRRR --- HELP I'm searching all over the net and have tried everything to no avail 1 year old dell inspirion 1750 - came with vista - got a virus Have reformatted, repartitioned, installed drivers at correct spot and install clean Vista - Dell had me swap some things around in BIOS etc to no avail ... I go fine thru the clean install until I get to the "completing installation" and then it...
October 31st 08 06:37 PM
by Richie Hardwick Go to last post
5 259
Vista Microsoft Installer corrupt by Auron
this isn't a problem with installing Windows Vista, but rather Microsoft Installer has become corrupt. You know the one. It uses .msi files now-a-days. whenever I try to install anything that requires the use of Windows Installer, it crashes out with an error. there are many ways for installing a program, and every program uses one installer or another. the ones that use a third party...
October 31st 08 03:11 PM
by Auron Go to last post
4 306
Anytime Upgrade from Vista Home Basic to Home Premium by PA Bear [MS MVP]
Garibaldi wrote: When attempting to use Windows Anytime Upgrade (WAU), I get the 'Upgrade is disabled' error message, please could somebody tell me why ?. i thought that i'd purchased an unused WAU DVD but does this message prove otherwise ? My C: drive is NTFS, so that is not the problem. Please help, thanks
October 31st 08 01:56 PM
by Mark H[_2_] Go to last post
3 267
"Windows is Toast" - Just Want to Be Sure by Dave Lee
Without warning on my Dell XPS 1530 laptop (Vista Home Premium - pretty much up to date) I found that my system would no longer boot. I could get to the User Select step, but it was just a Blue Screen from that point forward. I sent some time today with a Dell tech and we tried to run a Restore (F8 on boot - Repair your Computer - System Restore) on a couple of different restore points. They...
(Multi-page thread 1 2)
October 30th 08 11:02 PM
by Rick Rogers Go to last post
15 475
OCR software issue. (Text recognition software) by John Freeze
I have an old system with Win98SE2 on it and installed an All in one printer. I was able to scan paperwork into MSWord with no problems. I now have a new system with Windows Home basic and using the same printer, I can no longer do this. Any ideas? Thanks in advance.
October 30th 08 09:15 PM
by John Freeze Go to last post

From The