Threads in Forum : Networking with Windows Vista Forum Tools Search this Forum Feed Icon
internet gets disconnected frequently by dsathya1985
Hello, I have a Dell inspiron 1545(vista 32-bit) and the internet connectivity is really annoying..!! It gets disconnected frequently showing limited connnectivity and then gets connected automatically in a few seconds. i tried to unbind the ipv6..but still no good results.. i am not tech savvy... :( pls help me
(Multi-page thread 1 2)
February 21st 10 11:42 AM
by dsathya1985[_3_] Go to last post
10 656
Ephemeral ports by Karthik Balaguru
Hi, While looking for some valid port configurations, i came across that in Solaris 2.2 by default the ephemeral ports for TCP and UDP start at 32768. Just eager to know the reason of why does it start at 32768 (2 to the power of 15) ? And i wonder why does it not follow the IANA range ? Interestingly, many linux kernels also use the same and why do not they stick towards IANA range ?
February 21st 10 09:58 AM
by David Schwartz[_3_] Go to last post
5 449
How to prevent from automatically connecting to "default" wireless network and only with specified ones? by AI[_2_]
I'm running Vista Home edition on my laptop and when I use my laptop at home, it keeps on connecting to an unsecured default wireless network, instead of connecting to my home network, which is named and is secured. I guess one of my neighbours decided to just run their wireless network like that. How can I prevent my laptop from connecting to other networks other than the ones I specify? I've...
February 21st 10 05:33 AM
by digz Go to last post
8 487
Vista Home Premium WiFi: Local Access Only by petergoode
If anyone can shed light on a WiFi public network access issue, that assistance would be greatly appreciated. I have just returned from a trip to Jamaica...I was able to connect without problem with GoGo on the flight down, at my resort, but at the Montego Bay airport, my HP Pavilion notebook was able to connect to their WiFi, but only with local access. I tried to jot down as much...
February 20th 10 01:23 PM
by petergoode[_3_] Go to last post
4 460
'netstat' and '-f inet' option by Karthik Balaguru
Hi, I have been trying to use the command of 'netstat -a -n -f inet' to generate a report on all network end points not just the ESTABLISHED (-a option) by printing the IP addresses as dotted-decimal numbers(-n option), but only for TCP and UDP end points(-f inet option). But, strangely, the '-f inet' option does not seem to work in linux.
February 20th 10 12:30 PM
by Karthik Balaguru Go to last post
0 276
Accessing the internet - wireless by Uzidengineer
Hi, Sony Vaio with Vista is connected wirelessly to a HOME network. It can access all other computers. Any one of them can access the Interment. This one does not. At work, this computer CAN access the Internet (while wirelessly connected to the COMPANY network)
February 20th 10 05:28 AM
by Uzidengineer Go to last post
0 309
Delete public files by touch
I'm new to this network stuff. Just got it up and running. I placed 2 files in my Public Download folder. From the second computer I access the folder and copied them to Publie download folder . Now I wsih to delete them from both computers. When I try from each comp. I get same message. " you need permission to perform this action ". What's the deal ? How can I delete them ? Thanks for any...
February 20th 10 04:10 AM
by Bob Go to last post
4 431
How to prevent from automatically connecting to "default" wireless network and only with specified ones? by AI[_2_]
I'm running Vista Home edition on my laptop and when I use my laptop at home, it keeps on connecting to an unsecured default wireless network, instead of connecting to my home network, which is named and is secured. I guess one of my neighbours decided to just run their wireless network like that. How can I prevent my laptop from connecting to other networks other than the ones I specify? I've...
February 19th 10 11:33 PM
by AI[_2_] Go to last post
0 266
Ephemeral ports by Karthik Balaguru
Hi, While looking for some valid port configurations, i came across that in Solaris 2.2 by default the ephemeral ports for TCP and UDP start at 32768. Just eager to know the reason of why does it start at 32768 (2 to the power of 15) ? And i wonder why does it not follow the IANA range ? Interestingly, many linux kernels also use the same and why do not they stick towards IANA range ?
February 19th 10 07:16 PM
by Karthik Balaguru Go to last post
0 241
internet gets disconnected frequently by dsathya1985
Hello, I have a Dell inspiron 1545(vista 32-bit) and the internet connectivity is really annoying..!! It gets disconnected frequently showing limited connnectivity and then gets connected automatically in a few seconds. i tried to unbind the ipv6..but still no good results.. i am not tech savvy... :( pls help me
February 19th 10 12:57 PM
by dsathya1985 Go to last post
0 266
February 19th 10 12:50 PM
by touch Go to last post
0 435
February 19th 10 12:50 PM
by touch Go to last post
0 287
Delete public files by touch
I'm new to this network stuff. Just got it up and running. I placed 2 files in my Public Download folder. From the second computer I access the folder and copied them to Publie download folder . Now I wsih to delete them from both computers. When I try from each comp. I get same message. " you need permission to perform this action ". What's the deal ? How can I delete them ? Thanks for any...
February 18th 10 11:01 PM
by touch Go to last post
0 237
Vista Home Premium WiFi: Local Access Only by petergoode
If anyone can shed light on a WiFi public network access issue, that assistance would be greatly appreciated. I have just returned from a trip to Jamaica...I was able to connect without problem with GoGo on the flight down, at my resort, but at the Montego Bay airport, my HP Pavilion notebook was able to connect to their WiFi, but only with local access. I tried to jot down as much...
February 18th 10 08:30 PM
by petergoode Go to last post
0 250
Vista32 Bit OS PC cannot see Vista64bit os pc shares. by Daniel
I have setup a home networking with 2 vista machines. One is 32bit OS and the other one is 64bit OS. I set up the workgroup, turned on File & Print Sharing, created shares on both PC's and gave permissions. From the 64bit Vista PC, it's working perfectly fine. I can see, connect and use the files. But from the 32bit os pc, I can see the 64bit pc and the "Network". But I cannot explore nor...
(Multi-page thread 1 2)
February 18th 10 02:02 AM
by Daniel Go to last post
10 808
Cant connect to internet after reinstalling Vista by Gism0
I have an HP EliteBook 8530p. Vista Business 32-bit. i ve formatted it and reinstalled the OS from the manufacturers recovery option. Before the format the internet connection was working fine but now i cant make it work. All the drivers are working as all the devices as well. (Wired LAN connection). i ve already talked with an hp techician that told me its the ISP problem and the laptop is fine...
February 18th 10 01:29 AM
by Michael W Ryder Go to last post
1 299
Remote desktop again by Johnny E. Jensen
Hello NG From my Vista Home Premium i remoting a computer using VPN. I open the Visual Studio programming environment. When i type the {, }, keys the environment thinks i am pressing the alt key Can anyone help?
February 17th 10 07:28 PM
by Johnny E. Jensen Go to last post
0 323
Remote desktop again by Johnny E. Jensen
Hello NG From my Vista Home Premium i remoting a computer using VPN. I open the Visual Studio programming environment. When i type the {, }, keys the environment thinks i am pressing the alt key Can anyone help?
February 17th 10 07:28 PM
by Johnny E. Jensen Go to last post
0 387
Backups over Network by Zach
When running the Vista Backups wizard, I select "Network" for the destination of the backups, I select the target folder (XP PC's shared folder), I get prompted for user ID and pswd and enter both (formatted user ID as XPCOMPUTERNAME\USER ID). I get message back "No mapping between account names and security IDs was done (0x80070534)". However, I have no problem just copying files using...
(Multi-page thread 1 2)
February 17th 10 10:30 AM
by cafeolai Go to last post
11 663
VPN constant disconnects by Styles
Hello All, I'm at a loss with this one, I hope someone has some ideas. Besides a format c:\ install Linux Trying to help a user out with VPN issues, here is what is happening according to him. Hi,
February 16th 10 10:13 PM
by Bob Lin \(MS-MVP\) Go to last post

From The