Threads in Forum : Networking with Windows Vista Forum Tools Search this Forum Feed Icon
Problems with shares and passwords by Problems with shares and passwords
Hi, I have problems to access to computers that has password on it. I know there is a way to save computer names, user names and passwords of other computers in the one that has Windows Vista on it but I can´t find where to touch and how to touch. Can anybody help me with this? Thanks in advance, cheers !
April 20th 07 10:50 AM
by Problems with shares and passwords Go to last post
0 265
Vista + Win 2000 sharing by GUS
My home network consists of 3 pc's, 2 using 2k Pro and a new pc using Vista Ultimate. All using manual IP's connected to a 4 Origio port router. I have gone though the replies to other queries for win2k here and can now Access my shared drives on my vista pc from my other 2 but still not access those 2 from my vista PC. changes made Netbios allowed over tcp-ip in 2k Pro networking and my...
April 20th 07 01:00 PM
by GUS Go to last post
1 257
Printer sharing by Harry U
I established a network between a laptop running XP and a new desktop runnng Vista. I had been using the HP printer from a USB connection on the laptop. I installed the HP printer on the new desktop. I can view the printer in sharing mode on the network screen on both computers but cannot print remotely from either computer. How can I solve this problem?
April 20th 07 04:56 PM
by Cari \(MS-MVP\) Go to last post
1 268
MAC addressing authentication with Netgear/Vista by saintalan
Just trying Vista for the first time with a friends PC (Home Premium). I have a few XPs on a Netgear router and normally use no WEP just authentication via MAC address. I can only get the Vista PC to work with this turned off. I have input the MAC address but it just wont budge. Is it me or is this a Vista feature? Thamks Alan
April 20th 07 07:58 PM
by wguimb Go to last post
1 264
Vista to XP by CJ
Hi All, I have a small wireless network. 1 PC running XP Pro 1 PC running Vista Pre Both access the internet via the same wireless router From the XP Pro PC under Network connection, I can see the Vista PC (however cannot access it, I'm guessing I have not setup premissions yet for that) However from the vista PC, I cannot even see the XP PC. I can ping, but nothing shows in netowk
April 20th 07 08:08 PM
by wguimb Go to last post
7 349
Can Home Premium join an office Domain? by George
I can't see where this is possible, any help? Thanks, George
April 20th 07 09:31 PM
by Jay Go to last post
4 602
Can portforward with XP but not Vista by paulmyers
Hi Folks, This is my first post so please bear with my long winded explanation... I am currently running a Netcomm NB5Plus4W modem router, with my laptop running Windows XP I have had no problems getting uTorrent to 'green' status. This system is running Zone Alarm, the windows firewall is off, and is connected by usb. The port that I have opened for uTorrent is 14913. The network settings...
April 20th 07 09:34 PM
by Robert L [MVP - Networking] Go to last post
3 286
Consequences of not using a password by Jay
I do not use a password in Vista, so my PC boots up and the desktop appears without me needing to enter a password - I have it this way for convenience. It is networked within my home via Ethernet cable (ie not wireless) to my girlfriend's PC, but I am not worried about her being able to get on my PC either directly or via the network. One thing that I do wonder about is does not having a...
April 20th 07 10:42 PM
by Gary VanderMolen Go to last post
3 241
Cannot share a folder on C: drive by Barry
Hi, I am just setting up VISTA Ultimate. I have the OS and all programme files on drive C:. I have 2 other partitions (D: and I:) on the same physical drive as C: I can share folders on D: and I: with no problem. I cannot share folers on C: (with the exception of PUBLIC). Is this a "Security Feature", or am I missing something simple? Barry
April 21st 07 03:34 AM
by Greg Go to last post
4 298
Why does Vista cut my Internet connection by Executer
I´m unsing Vista now for 2 months and since then I didn´t had much problems. Now for some unknown reason my internet connection stops working from time to time. In the beginning it was only once a day but now it´s about every 20 minutes and it only works again after a reboot. First I thought it was the Router I´m using but as I can ping webserver through the router, use ICQ and as my...
April 21st 07 03:51 AM
by William Hayes Go to last post
1 274
backup utility does not see my backup drive by captainak
Please help!!! When I try to backup computer using Backup and Restore, I get the message that "Windows cannot find backup devices on your computer. The requested system device cannot be found." However, I can see my backup drive in Internet Explorer, can open it, and can copy files to it. I also can back up files to it using the Backup and Restore. Why does my computer find my backup drive...
April 21st 07 03:42 PM
by vecnah Go to last post
8 282
Network between 2 Vista computers by cb
Hi. I have 2 comouters with Windows Vista Business installed (comp1 and comp2). Comp1 has two ethernet boards: One of them receives Internet (ADSL), and the other should supply Internet to comp2. However, that doesn't happen. I've shared the connection of the ethernet board that links the 2 computers: Comp1 has the static IP 192.168.0.1, and Comp2 has the static IP 192.168.0.2 and as...
April 21st 07 03:56 PM
by Eric Cross [MVP] Go to last post
8 279
Network Communication by kornfan71
Hi, I just have a question. I have a laptop running Vista and a desktop running XP. The laptop is hooked up to a wireless network with the desktop. I just want to know, is there a way to communicate between the two, but NOT using the Internet, just the wireless network connection? Thanks.
April 21st 07 09:26 PM
by kornfan71 Go to last post
7 284
Wireless can't access Internet but can ping out. by Jeremey
Hello, I am setting up multiple Laptops and have them connected to wireless. The wireless is a 3com system with open access but restricted by MAC Address. All three of the Vista (Business) machines connect to the wireless, pull an IP address, can ping sites in the Internet, but not a single one of them can access or browse web pages. I am stumped on this because if it is the fact that it...
April 21st 07 10:00 PM
by Jeremey Go to last post
6 257
Vista Business client to XP ICS by Doug
I have a client with a one-way satellite Internet connection, which uses USB. That host PCs NIC is connected to a Belkin Wireless router and 3 other PCS use wireless cards for the network and Internet. All sharing and working correctly. The client has now brought in his Vista Business notebook. It will ping the ICS host. It will translate DNS through the ICS host. It will map a drive...
April 21st 07 10:44 PM
by Doug Go to last post
2 251
Can't Start Network Discovery by Dr. Edison
Had a BSOD yesterday and ever since then, Network Discovery won't start. Also, MS SQL won't start & I think these two problems are related. I enabled all services, just to see if something was wrong there but that did not help. I can browse the net, send/receive email and other computers on my network can see this one (running Vista Ultimate). I think I need to re-install part of the...
April 22nd 07 01:48 AM
by Dr. Edison Go to last post
2 250
Backup to Network Storage System by Ghery
I've got an Intel SS-4000E Network Storage System that I use to backup a number of my computers. The three machines running XP have no difficulty using the software provided with the NSS. The software will not load on Vista. Claims it's too OLD a version of Windows. :-) So, how about the backup utility in Vista? It can find the share I've set up on the NSS, but when I try to use it to...
April 22nd 07 04:20 AM
by Ghery Go to last post
0 280
problems with wireless ebay signing in "Internet Explorer cannot display the web by mrchev
Hi can sombody please help i am at my witts end here goes I bought a new laptop on thursday that has vista home prem installed with ie7 i have a dlink wireless i can get onto the internet from my laptop but when i go to ebay i get to the sign in page and thats as far as it goes i states i am signed in but will not let me go any further it either freezes or i get an error message that says...
April 22nd 07 11:40 AM
by LindaAnn Go to last post
5 326
Vista does not display workgroup by Cedric
i got a weird one for you. I have a home network with 1 Mac OS 10.4.9, 2 XP machines SP2, one with LLTD patch, other without and a Vista Business. Router is a speedstream 6520 modem/router. Problem: When i go to view network map, i only see the XP box with LLTD. Yesterday, and this occured a few days back as well, i could see everything, all the machines but at the bottom of the view...
April 22nd 07 11:54 AM
by LindaAnn Go to last post
2 261
After setting up offline files can't access files in other compute by GregPerk
I have a XP Pro desktop that I use to store all of my files in. I set up access with my new notebook with Vista to these files for offline content. Now when I try to access the files from the desktop it tells me that I can't open them becase they are in a briefcase syncronized in a other computer. I can't delete the sync partnership from the sync center. How can I get control of my files...
April 22nd 07 01:04 PM
by GregPerk Go to last post

From The