Threads in Forum : Networking with Windows Vista Forum Tools Search this Forum Feed Icon
Documents and settings is not accessible. Access is denied. by Jimmy Brush
Hello, If you have disabled the hiding of operating system files, you will see what appear to be system folders with familiar names like "Documents and Settings" and "My Music". They are shown with a transparent icon and a shortcut arrow. These are not really folders and contain no data. They are only there to assist some old programs. Windows Vista has moved or renamed many familiar locations.
October 16th 08 01:08 AM
by Jimmy Brush Go to last post
0 307
about Vista & xp access & share problem by sfmmwl
my english is very poor 1.Vista can access XP computer & share file, XP can not access Vista computer & share file 2.XP can find Vista computer in LAN 3.XP can not ping Vista
October 15th 08 11:11 PM
by Timothy Daniels[_5_] Go to last post
4 352
Roaming Profile by Paul Kuefler
I have a Windows Vista Business SP1 that will not load or unload a user profile. I can load and unload other users on the same PC with not problems. I am also able to load and unload the problem user on another Vista PC. I think the problem was created when I logged onto the PC before installing SP1. I have removed the user from the PC and deleted the profile and then readd the user but I am...
October 15th 08 10:10 PM
by Paul Kuefler Go to last post
0 317
IPv6 Registry Setting by JPO
A while back I disabled IPv6 in Vista by editing the registry entry tcpip6/parameters/disabledcomponents(default is 0, enabled). Now I want to enable it again and I am having a problem,it seems every time I enable it and reboot, it disables it again(it keeps setting it back to ff), I'm sure its something simple,what am I missing here. I am doing this under the built in Administrator account.
October 15th 08 09:35 PM
by Andrew Rossmann Go to last post
1 342
Remote desktop can not use XP pro as host by chasgl
My home network is composed of XP pro computers. They are all on my workgroup "Fred". I now have a Vista Home Premium 64 bit machine. I put in on "Fred" too. All the computers can see each other. They can all access each other's shared directories. When I start Remote Desktop on my Vista machine I can browse to the XP computers. But when I get the message "This computer can't connect...
October 15th 08 08:46 PM
by chas Go to last post
8 357
Documents and settings is not accessible. Access is denied. by Wandering[_2_]
In Vista, Documents and Settings is not a folder and you cannot store anything in it. It is a junction point that serves only to send anything on to the proper folder User folder where such things are stored in Vista. I know it looks like a folder, but it is NOT. It is more like a shortcut, and by way of analogy, you know you cannot store anything in a shortcut. It is there so that older...
October 15th 08 07:59 PM
by Wandering[_2_] Go to last post
0 326
Vista and Windows Server 2000 problem. by Piotr
I have network with 4 servers – 3 Windows Server 2003 and one Windows server 2000 (which is only DC). There are 40 workstations with Windows XP and 10 Vista machines. I have problem with connectivity form Vista machines (all are having the same problem) to Windows Server 2000 DC. When I try to ping form any vista PC - server DC it is working for a while and after around 5 minutes stops...
October 15th 08 06:28 PM
by Piotr Go to last post
0 331
Documents and settings is not accessible. Access is denied. by DDW[_3_]
On Wed, 15 Oct 2008 05:52:12 -0700, "ITNews" wrote: As I was trying to browse got the following message: Documents and settings is not accessible. Access is denied. Normal behavior. That's only a shortcut for use by older programs. You want "Documents".
October 15th 08 03:59 PM
by DDW[_3_] Go to last post
0 313
Documents and settings is not accessible. Access is denied. by Malke[_2_]
ITNews wrote: As I was trying to browse got the following message: Documents and settings is not accessible. Access is denied. Cannot browse the folder even after I took the ownership. Any help will be appreciated!
October 15th 08 02:57 PM
by Malke[_2_] Go to last post
0 314
Documents and settings is not accessible. Access is denied. by Jon Wallace
Hi, On Vista, C:\Documents and Settings is not actually a folder, it's a symbolic link. The folder containing the user data is C:\Users... Where C:\Documents and Settings\John Doe would have existed, it's not C:\Users\John Doe - the Docs and Settings link is provided for backward compatibility for applications... Hope this helps,
October 15th 08 02:21 PM
by Jon Wallace Go to last post
0 304
Documents and settings is not accessible. Access is denied. by R. C. White
Hi, ITNews. Documents and settings is a folder in WinXP and prior. It does not exist in Vista, except as a "Junction Point" for the benefit of legacy programs that have not been updated to work in Vista. In Vista, look in each user's Documents folder. By default, find each one in: C:\Users\username\Documents
October 15th 08 01:51 PM
by R. C. White Go to last post
0 287
Documents and settings is not accessible. Access is denied. by Dave[_29_]
In Vista, it's not a folder. Vista uses a different file structure than XP does/did. Those familiar folder names you may be used to, like "My Documents", "Documents & Settings", etc. are not folders in Vista. They are junction points, and are used for legacy programs which were written to utilize the XP file structure. They will redirect the programs to use the equivalent Vista folders. If...
October 15th 08 01:06 PM
by Dave[_29_] Go to last post
0 255
Vista SP1 forgets and/or loses WiFi connection by aK
Read a couple of dozen postings on wireless networking issues with Vista both here and other boards, haven't found an answer. Running Vista Enterprise x86 SP1 with all updates applied as per Windows Update. Machine is a HP 6910p with Intel Wifi Link 4965AGN. All power saving disabled where possible; power management running max performance. Router is Linksys WRT54GS v2 with latest firmware...
October 14th 08 11:24 PM
by Elan Hasson[_2_] Go to last post
6 397
the ease of networking by Carlen L. Williams
I've been using Vista now for 9 months and I'm loving it. I find the ease to connect multi-computers through it. Not just computers are easy to connect but printers. This was proved when I was in Iraq and we had one printer and 5 Vista computer printing to it over our network, and we did this in less than 10 mins.. Where as when I got home and tried to do the same thing to a XP computer...
October 14th 08 09:48 PM
by Jack \(MVP-Networking\). Go to last post
4 294
User password required when backing up to network folder by Lu Powell[_2_]
I have a home LAN with two Vista-computers. When trying to backup the newest computer to a Buslink drive on the other computer, I am blocked because a user name and password is not provided for access to the folder. The machine having the external drive is running Vista Home Premium 64 bit. The newer one is running the 32 bit version. I tried to set sharing permissions to full control, and...
October 14th 08 09:05 PM
by Lu Powell[_2_] Go to last post
2 289
Local Area Connection cable unplugged??? by Al
I have a desktop computer on broadband and when I connect to the internet the red cross turns has been turning into a blue circle to indicate I'm connected. However for the past week I'm not getting the blue circle, the red cross remains & when I click on it, it says I'm not connected to any networks so have clicked on repair and it consistently says I have a Local Area Connection cable...
October 14th 08 04:35 PM
by Al Go to last post
6 324
Good DHCP server for Vista? by Henson Sturgill
I need to give several computers access to an Internet connection through my laptop tomorrow evening. Is the Internet Connection Sharing built into Vista Home Basic sufficient enough to do this, or would you recommend a good DHCP client? As far as I could find, the only Microsoft DHCP clients are built into Windows Server. What would be the best (and free?) way to go about this? Thanks!
October 14th 08 01:13 PM
by sanoh Go to last post
2 302
vista network browsing by Bill
It appears that on several Vista machines it takes an unusually long time to enumerate the computer on the network and domain. I read that Link Layer Topology Discovery can be applied to XP boxes, but I think that only applies to the graphical mapper. I'm only trying to view a list of computers in the network folder in the control panel. Has anyone experienced a similar issue and found a...
October 14th 08 12:42 PM
by Bill Go to last post
2 336
No Internet on Vista Computer by sadiqhassan
This morning when I turned on my computer, my home wireless network was showing up as "unidentified" with local access only. I tried connecting to the router with an Ethernet cable but that connection, too, said "local only." The major change I have made to my computer since yesterday and today was that I un-installed Symantec Anti Virus (it made my computer unusably slow). I looked online and...
October 14th 08 12:32 PM
by Scott Roberson Go to last post
2 331
Newbie. Questions on file sharing by Daniel[_15_]
Hi everybody I have a smal soho network consisting of a netgear router, a brand new PC equipped with Vista Ultimate (let's call it Vista PC), and another PC using XP SP 3 (XP PC). The mapping of the network is OK. after struggling a bit and thanks to the help of great people on such newsgroup, my network is now operational.
October 14th 08 09:08 AM
by Daniel[_16_] Go to last post

From The