Threads in Forum : Networking with Windows Vista Forum Tools Search this Forum Feed Icon
Automatic connect to network by Mitch
Hello. I just received a Lenovo Ideapad Y430 and everything is working ok-I'm really happy with the notebook. However, I have one issue that is mildly frustrating. Although I have selected to connect automatically when my network is in range and to connect even if the network is not broadcasting (both in Wireless Network Properties), these selected settings do not save if my system goes...
October 13th 08 11:56 PM
by Steve Winograd Go to last post
3 326
people near me: element not found by Franz
Hi, On my Vista Ultimate 32 bit I am not able to start Windows Meeting Spaces. I walked through the steps described in Windows Help (Checking services, IPv6 enabled, ...). But this didn't help. During my investigations I noticed that this seems to be a user specific problem. Using another User it's working. In Control Panel People near me is also not able to start (Element not
October 13th 08 11:30 PM
by Paul Montgomery[_3_] Go to last post
4 323
network printer by netdc
I have a new HP laptop with Vista and am trying to print to a network printer. The printer is attached to a desktop with XP. The laptop recognizes the two printers attached to the desktop, HP officejet and Dell inkjet, but won't connect. Message indicates it needs a driver (INF file?) but can't find it. I downloaded Dell drivers and tried that, but it won't recognize them. Do I need to...
October 13th 08 09:40 PM
by Vista_Sucks Go to last post
3 404
Wireless Networking Notworking (partly) by surfdabbler
I have a few computers on my home network, 2 desktop PCs with wired network, and 1 wireless laptop. Router is a Linksys wag160n. The 2 desktops are running WinXP Pro, and can share files, view each other, both access internet. The laptop is running Vista Business also works fine when plugged in. However, on wireless, the laptop cannot see the network connections of the WinXP computers, and...
October 13th 08 02:54 PM
by Robert L. \(MS-MVP\)[_1162_] Go to last post
1 315
can't print to shared printer by shano
I just got a new desktop running Vista and connected to a printer. Also have a laptop running XP and am trying to get the laptop to recognize the new desktop on the network so I can print from my laptop wirelessly. I've run all the network setup wizards, and while both computers display each others 'names' in the network connection areas, they are not really recognizing each other ( the...
October 13th 08 11:48 AM
by Malke[_2_] Go to last post
1 324
vista seems to disrupt my xp network by Stuart Miller
I have a basic home netwok which has been stable since I set it up for win95/98. There have been a few equipment upgrades, but is now a cable modem, d-link router, linksys wireless accesspoint, linux file/print server, and several tower and laptop machines running xp. I bought a new machine running vista premium. When I first connected it wired, it killed the internet conection every time I...
October 13th 08 05:20 AM
by Paul Montgomery[_3_] Go to last post
4 354
Peer to Peer sharing by Roberto le Cornielle
I need to share a drive in a Peer to Peer situation in Vista Business but get the "access denied" error when trying to browse the folders on it. The Workgroup consists of 4 machines and 3 users, all can view and access the contents of each others public folders, I have set this up without the need to provide a password option in the Network and Sharing ...
October 13th 08 03:40 AM
by Roberto le Cornielle Go to last post
3 325
Vista Wireless network by Urbain Van Gucht
Hi, My home network with a vista behaves strange. I've 1 Vista home premium pc, I've 1 pc winxp prof SP2 and 2 laptops with winxp prof SP2. My router is configured for wired and wireless network. all devices can access internet without a problem. The strange thing is when all pc's are connected wireless, the vista pc can not access shares on the xp machines. The xp machines can access each...
October 12th 08 10:30 AM
by barman58 Go to last post
7 376
network problem. Cannot access files on a 'Vista' PC from an 'XP' PC by Paul Montgomery[_3_]
cross-posted to vista.networking_sharing to get more replies On Sat, 11 Oct 2008 21:54:49 +0200, "Daniel" wrote: Hi everybody, I have a smal soho network consisting of a netgear router, a brand new PC équipped with Vista Ultimate (let's call it Vista PC), and another PC using XP SP 3 (XP PC).
October 11th 08 09:29 PM
by Daniel[_15_] Go to last post
3 355
ISATAP by ED
Hi, Vista SP1 with all updates. In Device Manager under "Network adapters", I have "isatap.zxcv.com". Does anyone know what this is? The driver for it is "tunnel.sys" signed by Microsoft, so what is this zxcv.com reference?
October 11th 08 05:16 PM
by ED Go to last post
0 380
Wireless authentication settings? by anton
Hi Guys, any help you could offer would be greatly appreciated. I have just bought a new laptop (Toshiba A100/500). This comes fitted with a wireless network card (Intel® PRO/ Wireless 3945 ABG). It came with Windows Vista pre-installed and I am having trouble connecting it to my wireless router (Billion 7401vgp-m). I have disabled all wireless security on my router , turned on SSID broadcast...
October 11th 08 04:58 PM
by Jack \(MVP-Networking\). Go to last post
6 409
Vista Offer Assistance Does Not Work by Terpelding
I am trying to get the Offer Assistance functionality enabled between two Vista Business SP1 that are in a single domain. No firewalls, no VPN, can ping via name and IP address, can connect to remote desktop but when you try to Offer Assistance it says "Your offer to help could not be sent". I have seen dozens of postings with similar issues but no real resolution. Any thoughts?
October 10th 08 10:57 PM
by Terpelding Go to last post
0 274
Unable to connect wireless as "Domain Network" by Morten Ross
Hi, Vista allways defaults a wireless NIC on a domain computer to "Public Network" instead of "Domain Network". On Windows Server 2008 this is allways done correctly. The NIC and driver is identical, and so is the network setup. How do I force Vista to recognize that the computer on which the wireless NIC is attached is a domain computer and must be "Domain network" connected.? Morten
October 10th 08 10:40 PM
by Morten Ross Go to last post
1 285
VMWare and Wireless Internet Connection by news.microsoft.com[_11_]
Hey All, Using my laptop, I'm trying to get internet access from within a newly built virtual machine running Windows Vista. I am using VMWare Workstation 6.5. Currently, I cannot connect and can't see anything on the network. Under 'Settings' from within VMWare, I have selected "Bridged" and "Replicate physical network connection state" for the "Network Adapter". Please advise.
October 10th 08 10:30 PM
by Malke[_2_] Go to last post
1 322
Vista & Server 2003 - slow access on network shares by Jeff
Running Vista SP1 on a few PC's. The file access to network shares is ALOT slower than it was with XP. We are running a specialty application which keeps its data on a network shares (hosted by Server 2003). If I move that data to Server 2008, the speed is back to normal (as it was with XP and Server 2003). Is there known issues with Vista and Server 2003 regarding network shares?
October 10th 08 04:09 AM
by Robert L. \(MS-MVP\)[_1156_] Go to last post
1 314
DHCPv6 showing wrong DNS Suffix Search List by clerum
I'm seeing an issue in Vista SP1 where the computer is getting dns servers and search list through DHCP. If the DHCPv6 server is sending corp.microsoft.com then the actual Vista Client is showing Connection-specific DNS Suffix Search List : corp microsoft com
October 9th 08 08:18 PM
by clerum Go to last post
0 301
Very strange DNS issue by rkelley
I have my laptop that is joined to my AD domain at work which is corp.company.com When I am plugged into the corporate network all dns resolution works fine. now when i connect to a wireless network at home or anywhere else all nslookup queries append corp.company.com onto the hostname or even fqdn that I try to lookup. For instance: nslookup google.com
October 9th 08 03:14 PM
by rkelley Go to last post
2 305
VISTA automatically disable "file and printer sharing for MS netwo by jinshuang
We have a 2003 AD environment. some clients are XPPro, some are VistaBusiness. I recently found, I can't access some Vista's admin share from DC. From my investagation, the reason is the service "File and printer sharing for MS network" (from NIC property) is unchecked. Although I remember they are checked before, I re-checked them again. But after some times, they had been automatically...
October 9th 08 02:23 PM
by Robert L. \(MS-MVP\)[_1152_] Go to last post
3 324
Computer hacked over public network? by yoshimitsuhiro
Hello, I`m a Windows Vista Home Premium 32bit user, and the other day, I connected to an unprotected wireless connection (bad idea... I know...) and had about 20 gigs of files deleted from my hard drive. I was only connected for about an hour at most, and I set the network to public, so nobody should have been able to access my files, let alone delte 20 gigs of data. All together, about ten...
(Multi-page thread 1 2)
October 9th 08 09:51 AM
by yoshimitsuhiro Go to last post
10 493
Why is the word "(preferred)" next to my IP Address? by kevinvinv
MS told me last night that if ipconfig shows the word "Preferred" next to my IP Address... that DHCP was not working right and that this might be affecting my ability to SHARE a folder to another PC. I cannot seem to find any independant corroboration of this... anyone know what it means when "Preferred" is printed next to the IP address? Thanks.
October 9th 08 04:34 AM
by kevinvinv[_3_] Go to last post

From The