Threads in Forum : Networking with Windows Vista Forum Tools Search this Forum Feed Icon
Broadband modem configuration by bob0957
I just bought a new HP computer with Windows Vista. I access the internet via DSL through AT&T. I configured the old DSL modem which worked fine until Friday. AT&T tried to ping the DSL modem and it was determined to be defective. I replaced with an older DSL modem and configured the modem and it worked fine. I had to restart the computer, but the DSL modem was not recognized as the default...
October 8th 08 04:52 PM
by beoweolf Go to last post
2 326
Vista requires line of sight for wireless by lofar
I have a brand new vista laptop, fully patched etc.. When trying to connect it to my wireless network, that has worked fine for several years with WindowsXP i've found that windows vista refuses to work unless it has un-obstructed line of sight to my wireless access point. It will connect and work perfectly, speed tests show download speeds up to 6mbps as long as I maintain line of sight. As...
October 8th 08 04:39 PM
by beoweolf Go to last post
4 317
My PPPoE Vista Internet Connection opens only Googe and GoogleProducts, Nothing Else. by Banago
Hi everyone, I just installed PPPoE internet connection and it opens only Google and Google products such as Gmail, GoogleGroups, Google Reader and so on. No other single page is displayed, it just keeps it loading and nothing happens. This happens in IE, Saffari and in FF, all browsers that I have installed. What is going on in my computer? How can I fix this?
October 8th 08 03:44 PM
by Jack \(MVP-Networking\). Go to last post
2 296
Vista Internet Browsing not working by Newbe0n
I have bought my first Vista based laptop to replace my XP pro laptop. Currently I cannot get the Vista machine to browse the internet although it has connected to my Windows Server 2003 domain and wireless network without problem. The IP range is: 192.168.11.xxx The server IP is: 192.168.11.1 The gateway IP (internet access) is: 192.168.11.3 To get all my...
October 8th 08 10:07 AM
by Newbe0n Go to last post
4 308
Cannot access ADMIN$ on Windows XP Home from Vista Home Premium by deleyd
On my home network of 6 computers, 3 Vista Home Premium and 3 Windows XP Home computers, from my Vista computer I can access ADMIN$ on any other Vista computer, but I can not access ADMIN$ on any of my Windows XP computers. I just get "access is denied". e.g. GARY is a Windows XP computer DOG is a Vista Home Premium computer at a command prompt:
October 8th 08 07:32 AM
by Steve Winograd Go to last post
3 314
Cannot find xbox 360 on the network by effingroovin647
I looked around and havent seem to be able to find this direct issue. I am on a college campus and trying to add my xbox360 as an extender onto my vista computer. I am running windows vista home premium32bit. For some reason i CANNOT see my xbox 360 on the network. I can see the xbox perfectly from other computers on the network running windows xp, but for some reason on my vista computer i...
October 8th 08 01:44 AM
by effingroovin647 Go to last post
0 274
Server driver locks shared folders by akobrin
I create a share on Vista or Windows 2008 SP1. No one accesses this share from network. After some time folder for this share becomes locked. You can see in Process Explorer that System process has opened file handles for each shared folder. I've traced this using Process Monitor and found that srv.sys is making NtOpenFile call. srv.sys is Server driver responsible for file sharing. Here is...
October 7th 08 10:07 PM
by akobrin Go to last post
0 1,052
Netwrok Discovery by [email protected]
Hi All, I am currently trying to use my vista home machine with media player 11 as a upnp server. I have done this in the past with the same machine running xp with no problems. Vista is uptodate as from yesterday with all including optional updates. The problem is when trying to turn on "Network Discovery" I need the
October 7th 08 08:14 PM
by [email protected] Go to last post
0 305
Getting Terminal Services to work by chas
I'm integrating my new Vista 64 bit computer into my home network with XP pro computers on it. All the computers are on a workgroup "Fred". At first my Vista computer could see the XP computers. But it did not see the XP computers as being in the same workgroup. And remote desktop from the Vista to the XP computers did not work by name only by IP address. If I pinged the XP computers...
October 7th 08 01:49 PM
by Kerry Brown Go to last post
5 364
Hackers are here. Where are you??? by Neuerung Technologies
Hi Greetings!!! Hackers are on move stop them before they enter your network. Beat hackers at their own game attend our training and excel in hacking and its counter measures. If you want to stop hackers from invading your network, first you've got to invade their minds.
October 7th 08 01:06 PM
by mikeyhsd[_4_] Go to last post
2 273
Printer sharing by Pat
Home network,desktop Win Vista HP,Laptop Vista basic.Lynksys wireless router.Name is workgroup on both comp,printer sharing allowed not password protected.Can use printer on desktop installed on laptop as a local printer,changed to port from LPT1 to usb 001 which is the port on the laptop.Cant print test page or anyother page.Cheked tp workonline tried with both win firewall and Norton...
October 7th 08 03:00 AM
by Robert L. \(MS-MVP\)[_1149_] Go to last post
1 267
Mapping to a DFS Root by MtDewMike
I've read several articles about people having issues mapping network drives to DFS shares. My case is a little different... I think. We just recently joined a laptop w/Vista Business to our domain. We have a login script that runs, which maps 3 drives - F, S and T for all users. When logging into the domain from the laptop, S and T map fine, but the F drive does not map. We can map it...
October 6th 08 03:48 PM
by MtDewMike Go to last post
2 288
Vista is slow accessing network shares by bluhbleh
I am running Vista business at work, on a HP laptop. I am experiencing a major problem accessing files on network drives. It takes forever to open a file from the domain's network drive, or somethings it just hangs there (such as I open an excel file, it will just show as "Not Responding"). Surfing the web is very fast, so not sure what's wrong with the network on my computer. I did these...
October 6th 08 02:38 PM
by bluhbleh[_2_] Go to last post
1 299
Vista Windows Explorer display of Entire Network computers by peirogen
Under XP when I clicked on Entire Networks.Microsoft Windows networks I got a display tree that showed all the available domains and workgroups. When I tired the same thing in Vista, I just get all the computers, how can I get them grouped by domain/workgroup? Maybe this is now so obvious that I missed it, so pardon... thanks.
October 6th 08 02:11 PM
by Tom Allen Go to last post
1 260
Vista network sharing problem (access and permissions) by Jannoth
3 PCs are in a workgroup via a router: PC1 = Desktop, running Vista Home Premium, connection = wired. User A/C = JPR but no password. PC2 = Laptop, running Vista Ultimate, connection = wireless. User A/C = ASC with a password. PC3 = Laptop, running Vista Home Premium, connection = wireless. User A/C = JPR with a password.
October 6th 08 09:03 AM
by Jannoth Go to last post
3 271
Unidentified Network Error by JumpNfrog2000
dontk nwo a whole lot about computers or the lingo really... My internet was working fine then all of a sudden it wasn't. I called my internet service provider, the internet service tech people had me go into the control panel, then the networks and some other things and it said "unidentifiable network" they said that it is a glitch with Windows Vista that they couldn't do anything that i needed...
October 6th 08 01:03 AM
by Robert L. \(MS-MVP\)[_1148_] Go to last post
5 289
KB955302 on VISTA by PA Bear [MS MVP]
Did you install Vista SP1 manually or via Windows Update? Unlimited installation and compatibility support for Vista SP1 is available at no charge through 18 Mar-09 • US: http://support.microsoft.com/oas/default.aspx?ln=en-us&prid=11274&gprid=500921 • CA: http://support.microsoft.com/oas/default.aspx?ln=en-ca&prid=11274&gprid=500921
October 5th 08 10:35 PM
by PA Bear [MS MVP] Go to last post
2 312
Cannot Connect to Hotspots After System Restore by bdaythug
i did a system restore to a point of about 3 weeks back, and now i cannot connect to a hotspot. it says i have a availability for a hotspot that ive ALWAYS have been able to connect to, but now when i try, its just unable to connect, even tho it has 2 bars of availability(enough bars as before). ps i have hp entertainment pc and restored for mcafee security problems i installed. PLEASE HELP!
October 5th 08 07:52 PM
by Jack \(MVP-Networking\). Go to last post
3 282
Ad Hoc conection: Internet Connection Sharing disabled by Mata Hari
Beforehand, when i configured an ad hoc connection (it'd ask for the name of the connection and a password) later it would give the option to share the internet. I am not sure why, but that option does not show anymore. Instead, it tell you that you can activate file sharing in the Network and sharing center window. I read the parts of the tech support that refer to ICS and ad hoc...
October 5th 08 04:53 PM
by qweasdqwe Go to last post
4 294
Change DHCP settings based on Wireless Network? by Henson Sturgill
There are a few wireless networks that I connect to that need me to have a static IP address. Is there anyway to specify for a connection (I.e. my Realtek wireless card) to change from DHCP to static IP address based on the SSID of the network it's connecting to? Thanks! - Henson
October 5th 08 01:32 PM
by Robert L. \(MS-MVP\)[_1146_] Go to last post

From The