Threads in Forum : Networking with Windows Vista Forum Tools Search this Forum Feed Icon
Page Not Found Problem by mistafadedglory
Hello, Just installed Vista 64, i'm connecting to the internet using a Linksys WRT54G Ver. 8 router. Pretty vanilla. What i'm finding is that when visiting a site that I haven't visited before, there is a 5-10 second delay to pull up the page OR it times out. I'm not talking about some podunk page, but something like microsoft.com or yahoo.com. Once the page is cached,then theres no problem....
September 30th 08 07:42 PM
by Gordon[_5_] Go to last post
4 336
Losing wireless connection to specific wireless network by AnnieB
Hi All, I have a Vaio VGN-SZ430N notebook with Vista business pre-installed. I use the notebook at work and home. At work I mainly utilize the wired LAN but occasionally make use of one of the wireless networks and I have no problems. Home is another story. I cannot stay connected to our home network for any extended periods of time, like an hour max and then I get kicked off. Sometimes it...
September 30th 08 07:42 PM
by Gordon[_5_] Go to last post
4 311
FTP Program by Martin Racette
Hi, Can anyone suggest a good but free FTP program -- Thank You in Advance Merci a l'avance Martin
September 30th 08 04:41 PM
by Jay Somerset Go to last post
3 329
Vista doesnt connect to Linksys wireless network by Zap
ugh! All of a suden my kid's Vista Dell laptop can not connect to our home network. It used to work fine. It wouldn't connect, we recycled the router a number of times and all of a sudden it connected. It won't connect this morning again. Here's the details. Please help...ed Laptop connects fine to her school wireless network Linksys WR54GS router Router firmware updated to latest...
September 30th 08 12:44 PM
by Zap Go to last post
6 321
How many pc's can be hosted on a Vista home network? by pjg
Windows XP allows 10 connections on a peer to peer network. Does anyone know the total allowed connections for a network running Vista Business? Thanks PJG
September 30th 08 05:34 AM
by LVTravel[_2_] Go to last post
3 297
Windows Vista prompts for network share password on every boot by SlackerBoy
I have an office with multple Vista Business machines installed. Each computer has a share called SharedFiles. Each machine is setup with an account called 'Shared' that is given access to this folder. When a user maps this share from another computer, they use reconnect on login and login using different user name (using the 'shared' account credentials). Typically only one of the computers...
September 29th 08 04:56 PM
by SlackerBoy Go to last post
2 300
XP access Vista but Vista can't access XP by Dazman
Okay, I bought a laptop with Vista Home Premium and I've set everything up to work on a network. My desktop computer runs XP and is connected (hard wired) to the internet through my D-Link 655 router. The laptop can see the desktop computer, but can't access it via wireless. The internet access works though. Both have different computer names; Both have the same workgroup name;
September 29th 08 04:30 PM
by SJAIN Go to last post
9 390
Vista remote desktop certificate management by Steve Morgan
Hi All I've managed to get RDP working over the internet between 2 vista Ultimate SP1 machines. I've configured NLA but unsure how this relates (or replces) the need for a server certificate to authenticate I am actually connecting to my target machine. I've looked in the msc certificate management snap-in but cant find anything
September 29th 08 12:57 PM
by Steve Morgan Go to last post
0 324
Failed to connect to a windows service by Torbjørn Pettersen
Running Vista Basic and get this error message on startup. "Windows could not connect to the System Event Notification Service service. This problem prevents limited users from logging on o the system. As an administrative user, you can review the System Event Log for details about why the service didn't respond." Can't start the Event Viewer as it says the Event Log service is unavailable.
September 28th 08 11:41 AM
by prrrao Go to last post
9 707
Problems Sharing HP Printer in Vista by Vista_32bit
I have been trying to share my printer for a while but my laptops just can't recognize them. I have went through all the instructions on how to set it up but my laptops just won't recognize it. WHY?!?!?! -- Vista_32bit
September 28th 08 12:08 AM
by Malke[_2_] Go to last post
1 393
error 5: access denied by andy arledge
i have been running vista on my laptop and server which are networked for over 1 year. i just bought a tablet and am syncing the tablet and the laptop. i can sync to the tablet ok, but i can't sync back to the laptop. i have full rights and am logged in as administrator on both machines. i have sp1 on both.
September 27th 08 11:43 PM
by andy arledge Go to last post
0 300
Laptop connects to internet but can't access computers on home network by jm2267
I have a home network consisting of two desktops and two laptops connected via a D-link 655 Wireless N router. My laptop runs Vista Home Premium. My wife's laptop runs XP. We all connect to the internet just fine. There is a printer connected to one of the desktops and we use it to print from the laptops. My wife's XP laptop has no problem printing. I can't print or access the shared files on...
September 27th 08 11:34 PM
by Jack \(MVP-Networking\). Go to last post
1 296
Printer Sharing by Alex_M
New Vista machine, Old 2000 machine. Both on private net at home. Can share and see files across net just fine in both directions. Two printers hooked up to Vista box. Originally connected successfully to them on 2000 machine, printed pages ok. Now, 2000 box hangs on any app that is looking for printer: Word, Notepad, even Printers folder. Can't even get to Printers Folder anymore on...
September 27th 08 03:32 PM
by Alex_M Go to last post
2 340
Remote Desktop port problem by Arif Khokar
I recently installed Vista Enterprise. I haven't had any success enabling remote desktop. First off, under the System Properties Remote tab page, I've selected "Allow connections from computers running any version of Remote Desktop (less secure)." Second, I made sure that I enabled the Remote Desktop exception to Windows firewall. Third, all Terminal Services related services are...
September 27th 08 07:38 AM
by Arif Khokar Go to last post
4 295
Remote Desktop Connection has stopped working Error by Lila Godel
I just upgraded from XP Pro to Vista Business and I can no longer establish a remote desktop connection to my office XP Pro computer. After I click on the new VPN shortcut I get a successful VPN connection. Then when I click on the modified RDP file I get a log on prompt. At that point when I enter by password I get the following error: Remote Desktop Connection has stopped...
(Multi-page thread 1 2)
September 26th 08 09:06 PM
by grantx5 Go to last post
10 504
vista client pc on domain cannot access networked attached storage by -keevill-[_3_]
I have a windows 2003 active dir domain and most of the clients pcs are winxp. I have now introduced a new vista pc and whilst it can join the domain ok and can access most resources, there is an issue with a NAS box . I am using windows AD permissions for the NAS and all the XP clients can login without any trouble. However, when I login using the Vista pc , a login box appears to input the...
September 25th 08 11:53 PM
by -keevill-[_3_] Go to last post
4 426
Can't Open NAS Sub-folders by r1ck111
I recently purchased a network drive and created two shared folders on it one with a password one without. I have one XP machine and one Vista on the network, the drive works perfectly with XP, I can get straight onto the password protected folder no problem. I could access the unprotected folder in Vista but not the pass-worded one, I found out this was to do with the NTLM 2 protocol so I...
September 25th 08 07:19 PM
by r1ck111 Go to last post
0 322
Single Sign On with 802.1x wireless authentication by Mat
Hi, I am trying 802.1x authentication ( PEAP with EAP-MSCHAP V2) in our wireless network. I have installed IAS RADIUS for wireless authentication. All our clients are windows vista.I have read VISTA supports Single Sign On wireless profiles to connect to protected networks before domain logon. I have set ssoMode as preLogon, but my experience is that it works with only cached profiles. But...
September 25th 08 04:31 PM
by Holly Westell Go to last post
5 388
What causes this network loss? by j lunis
Vista Home Premium Every 2-3 days I lose my internet access - get a browser message 'this page can not be displayed' and email fails. I have learned I can unplug my cable modem and router for about 1-2 minutes, plug the modem in, plug the router in, and access is restored. It works, but is annoying. Any ideas on the cause and how to resolve the problem? PC and modem are plugged in to the...
September 25th 08 01:20 PM
by j lunis Go to last post
5 316
How to disable access to my neighbour's wireless network? by [email protected]
Hi all... here is the deal: I have a router which is programmed to allow my kids to roam the internet wirelessly at certain times of the day. That part works like a charm, unfortunately there is a number of neighbours in my area with open wireless connections. As you might imagine, once my router starts preventing them from using the net, all they have to do is discover a ton of open access...
September 25th 08 10:10 AM
by Sooner Al [MVP] Go to last post

From The