Threads in Forum : Networking with Windows Vista Forum Tools Search this Forum Feed Icon
Vista cannot connet to the internet by Alan
My computer have a problem that my computer cannot connet to the internet, At "connet to" it said it is fine, but at the right botton conor, there is a red cross on the computer icon.
April 28th 08 06:41 PM
by Jack \(MVP-Networking\). Go to last post
1 199
Vista laptop "forgets" how to share printer by Alan Biddle
Hi, I have an HP Desktop running XP Pro (SP3) and a Dell laptop running Vista Business (SP1) with a Linksys home wireless network. The printer in question is an HP 932c attached to the desktop. Both computers have the same current version of Norton Internet Security running. (I know, I know, no lectures please. grin) Using the tips here, I have no problem getting the laptop to share...
August 23rd 08 10:39 PM
by Alan Biddle Go to last post
8 292
LLTD by Alan C
Does anyone know if MS are going to provide a version of the LLTD responder for windows servers? I, and a lot of others, are p*****d off with MS -yet again - bolting down networking so that previous OS's are invisible or difficult to connect to, especially as they are MS's own. -- ------------------------------------------------------------------------------- This message has been checked...
November 21st 07 02:47 AM
by Jeffrey Randow Go to last post
1 441
VPN to SBS2k3 from VBus by Alan C
I have been trying to set up a VPN connection to our SBS2k3 server from Vista Business pc. At first I was getting error 741 and found KB929857 which refers to this error. I used method 2. Now when I try to connect I either get error 800 or " 'server' is not set up to accept a connection to port 'pptp' from this computer" No errors are logged in applics or system logs at either end. VPN...
May 19th 08 03:10 AM
by john_cena Go to last post
5 300
VPN to SBS2k3 from VBus - Update by Alan C
Thanks to everyone for suggestions, etc. The problem was caused by RASMAN.DLL on the server being corrupt. I replaced it from the source CD and now VPN works fine from both my Vista and XP boxes. Problem solved. (crosspost to both microsoft.public.windows.vista.networking_sharing and microsoft.public.windows.server.sbs)
May 20th 08 03:20 AM
by john_cena Go to last post
2 277
VPN & Mapping by Alan C
I am trying to connect my Vista Home Premium laptop to my company Server2k3 network via VPN. I can connect successfully to the server/domain, but am unable to map any network shares. If I try to map to \\pdc\share I get 'Network path not found'. I found a KB article about DNS suffix that advised adding the domain to the ipv4 config, but this didn't work.
November 19th 07 07:48 PM
by Mark Newman Go to last post
5 271
Vista Ultimate, Fails to get IP address upon bootup by Alan Gravelle - RJS
I have a new computer with Vista Ultimate. Upon startup the network / Internet Explorer doesn't work. If I go into Network, access = local only (not internet). If I do "view status" and choose "Diagnose", I can reset the IP address. I am not sure why it is behaving this way.
January 31st 07 11:35 PM
by seattlebk Go to last post
1 181
Vista not sending email by Alan Hardy
I have a W2K server network with 2 win 98se and 4 XP pro clients - all working fine the 3 Vista machines on the network perform ok except that they will not send emails (they receive ok). I cannot Telnet out on port 25 from the Vista pc's even though antivirus and firewall are disabled. What is it that is different about the Vista machines that could cause this? The Vista units are running...
July 23rd 07 03:16 PM
by Alan Hardy Go to last post
0 150
Offline Files strange folder names by Alan Marryat
Running Vista Ultimate SP1 Offline files to a Synology DS108J as well as a WD-Netcenter. I have several offline files folders set up on the Synology. (The WD-Netcenter had the same problems, so I will keep my description to the Synology from now on). After working on folders in these network shares, occasionally a new folder will appear with a strange name. It appears that this folder is...
January 6th 09 06:53 PM
by Alan Marryat Go to last post
0 183
Offline files strange/weird folder names by Alan Marryat
When I use offline files, some strange folder names appear which seem to be aliases for existing legitimate folders. IE if I were to delete one of these folders, eg. PO~M4M23.0, it would delete the other folder as well. The only way I can get rid of these folders is to disable offline files in the Control Panel and reboot. This was not an issue with XP Pro, but it is with my Vista Ultimate 32...
February 27th 09 07:46 PM
by Alan Marryat Go to last post
0 177
Offline files strange/weird folder names by Alan Marryat
When I use offline files, some strange folder names appear which seem to be aliases for existing legitimate folders. IE if I were to delete one of these folders, eg. PO~M4M23.0, it would delete the other folder as well. The only way I can get rid of these folders is to disable offline files in the Control Panel and reboot. This was not an issue with XP Pro, but it is with my Vista Ultimate...
February 26th 09 09:09 PM
by Alan Marryat Go to last post
0 193
Printer sharing on wireless network by Alan Muster
I bought a new Vista machine to replace my oldest computer. The new machine is wired to a wireless router and has a USB cable to the HP printer. It prints fine using the built in driver in Vista, but the other 2 machines(both XP) on my wireless network can not "see" the printer to add it as their default printer. This was working fine when the previous XP machine was being used. I did...
February 13th 07 01:14 AM
by Kim [MS] Go to last post
3 250
Unidentified Network - Local Access Only by Alan Robinson
I have been using Vista since the first day it came out, on a wireless network connected to a pc using xp with absolutely no problems at all. A few days ago (same day onecare did a major update - coincidence?) I started to get unidentified Network coming up on my network connection, local access only. Looking and the information I had 2 networks showing at the same time, both set to...
August 6th 07 05:58 PM
by Robert L [MVP - Networking] Go to last post
1 180
SMB problem with Vista by Alan Sanders
I have a problem accessing LanDisk file server mapped as a Network drive. Using xcopy in Command prompt is Ok with \\server\backup address. It is updated with latest firmware. Vista freezes when accessing the drive in Explorer, and once reported a problem with SMB configuration, but only once. I have no problems with passwords/usernames etc, and the drive iis always visible when you go to Map...
September 19th 06 06:02 PM
by Alan Sanders Go to last post
0 553
SMB problem with Vista by Alan Sanders
I have RC1 and a LanDisk fileserver mapped as Network Drive Z:. I can transfer files to it using its server name \\server\public using command prompt and xcopy, and I can view the contents using IE and have no trouble with passwords etc, but Explorer will freeze as it either connects or if it connects it will freeze as I open one of the folders. I have updated the LanDisk to its latest...
September 19th 06 05:58 PM
by Alan Sanders Go to last post
0 620
Vista shows network drive space incorrectly by Alan Scott
Hi, hope someone can help. I have recently bought a 1tb linux based nas. I used my XP machine to load files onto it and it shows that the drive has 750gb of 915gb free. I connected my vista pc to the drive using the same id/password and was able to read the files and delete one. The problem is that the vista pc thinks the drive is only 1mb with 96k free. Any ideas on how to get vista to show...
December 9th 08 02:26 AM
by Jack \(MVP-Networking\). Go to last post
2 245
LAPTOP CANT CONNECT TO PC by Alan Whimp
HI ALL i am havin trouble connecting my pc to my laptop and the other way around there both got Vista home priemal installed but if i try n ping them it wont reply i have turned the firewall off on both pc but with no luck. I dont know how to get them to talking to each other i even cant map a drive there in the same work group im confussed can some one help me Cheers alan W
October 12th 07 12:40 PM
by Mick Murphy Go to last post
1 159
Vista Networking by Alan W[_2_]
I have three PC's networked via a Router - two running Vista Ultimate, and one running Windows XP. If i have all three machines running then all have access to Internet and all have full networking capability between machines. If I switch the XP Machine off - then both Vista PC's have access to the Internet - but lose all networking capability between each other. Anyone have any ideas
October 26th 08 07:01 AM
by ForrestInFallbrook Go to last post
3 379
Intermittent internet speed by alan3985
I have just installed ADSL BT Broadband internet onto a new PC running windows Vista. The same connection works perfectly on my old XP machine. However, with Vista some webpages, such as bbc.co.uk load instantly, yet others take a long time to load - these load quickly on the old machine. Is there any way to fix this problem? Clicking the diagnose and repair box shows that Vista recognises...
April 7th 07 06:56 PM
by alan3985 Go to last post
2 157
xp-vista visibility by alant
hi all, please excuse me in advance, but the problems I am experiencing appear(to me) very basic. I have a desktop (XP pro) and a laptop (Vista ultimate) and am trying to wirelessly network them with a belkin G router. My physical layout is as follows: internet comes in via broadband cable(virgin) modem then through the router to the RJ45 conn at the rear of my desktop.(note:I also have a...
October 16th 07 10:03 AM
by Mick Murphy Go to last post

From The