Threads in Forum : Networking with Windows Vista Forum Tools Search this Forum Feed Icon
DhcpGetClientInfo and Error 1783 in Vista by VladZ
Hello, Sample Code below always returns error code 1783 in Vista (SP1) but works fine in Windows XP (SP3). Is it bug or my mistake? I'm use: 1) Windows Software Development Kit (SDK) for Windows Server 2008 and .NET Framework 3.5 2) VS2005 (SP1)
September 2nd 08 05:06 PM
by VladZ Go to last post
2 258
Vista and security identification by Mark
Hi, I have just bought a new pc with vista. My ld pc ran xp. I have purchased a netgear wireless adapter to connect to my work supplier router. the router is set up with WPA-PSK and TKIP security, and is set not to broadcast. I have set up a network account with the correct details. My system does connect to the network, however, in the network screen the network is shown as "incorrect...
(Multi-page thread 1 2)
September 2nd 08 02:47 PM
by Robert L. \(MS-MVP\)[_1103_] Go to last post
10 415
BlueScreen when connecting to VPN, with Vista ServicePack1 by Haris
Hello, Before installing SP1 for Vista 64bit , my VPN connection was perfectly working. After installing SP1 , every time I try to connect to my officeVPN, (...at connection window..credentials...) I receive a BLUESCREEN. Not any helpfull EventLog entries written. Problems Reports and Solutions returns nothing....
September 2nd 08 02:39 PM
by Robert L. \(MS-MVP\)[_1102_] Go to last post
7 648
shared printers on an xp/vista wireless network by ferro
Hi I have an XP main computer with a a Canon 2355 printer attached. A belkin wireless router is attached and I run a vista laptop from another room. The wireless network works well and I can access the XP PC from the laptop and access the internet. The Canon printer is shared and showing up on the laptop as shared and as the default printer. However I cannot print to the Canon from the laptop....
September 2nd 08 12:17 AM
by Quaoar[_2_] Go to last post
5 237
Document shows in print queue but doesn't print by blue-eyed-tink
Running a Vista laptop and XP desktop connected to an HP 5500 OfficeJet. When a document is printed from the laptop it shows in the laptop queue and the desktop queue, but does not print. I can print documents from the XP desktop. Help!!!
September 1st 08 11:09 PM
by Malke[_2_] Go to last post
1 2
Can only access certain files in a shared folder. by lkptjeff
Some of the photos in my shared folder on my XP PC give my the error message "photo gallery can't open this picture because you do not have permission to access the file location" when I try to open them from my Vista laptop. Other photos in the same folder are fine. If I go to the XP machine and cut them out of that folder then paste them back in it works fine but this is tedious. Anyone...
September 1st 08 09:41 PM
by lkptjeff Go to last post
0 218
Vista's equivalent of "My Network places"? by Michael Moser
What's Vista's equivalent of "My Network Places"? I want to define a couple of links to misc. shares on other systems. On XP I used to go to the "My Network Places" and defined a new "Network Place". How do I do that on Vista? Is there a place where all these references are collected? Michael
September 1st 08 12:41 AM
by Jack \(MVP-Networking\). Go to last post
2 222
shared ethernet port for Internet browsing by J[_8_]
we have 20 new PCs being setup in a conference room. We have only 5 jacks in the room wired to our ethernet switch in the wiring closet. The powers that be want to just buy a 24 port switch, plug the new PCs into the switch and use 1 port on the switch connected to 1 of the existing jack that goes back to the switch in the wiring closet. The switch in the wiring closet is connected to a router...
September 1st 08 12:14 AM
by Anando Go to last post
2 212
Network printer fine on XP but not Vista by John Hoog
Network printer (Brother 2040 laser) is on an IOGear single-port wireless print server. The whole setup worked at one time for both XP machines and the single Vista laptop I had at my previous home. Dismantled and reinstalled at new digs, the print server and printer work fine with my XP machines but not for my Vista laptop (a second Vista machine newly added to the network). The print queue...
August 31st 08 09:42 PM
by John Hoog Go to last post
4 239
Home network problem by Mick Murphy
Networking XP and vista info. http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb727037.aspx Have a read of the above link re Vista File and Printer Sharing. Permissions/Share info is there as well. If using Norton, McAfee, Trend Micro I.S., make sure file and printer sharing is enabled in THEIR firewall (or LAN allowed, depending on how their Exceptions are worded in their Firewall)
August 31st 08 08:58 PM
by Mick Murphy Go to last post
0 255
Unable to share folder from Vista Home premium to XP Home SP3 mach by G
The xp home machine can see the public folders from my vista home prem machine. I can only get it to see the files from my vista personal account called (G) if i set the security on the particular folder to everyone. This means that anyone can access this folder then, which i do not want. If I remove everyone the error I get when trying to get into the folder from my xp machine is YOU MIGHT...
August 31st 08 07:34 PM
by G Go to last post
4 219
Home network problem by oscar
Hi Michael, Starting from scratch try this: 1. Click Start. 2. Click Control Panel. 3. Click Network and Internet. 4. Click Network and Sharing Center. 5. Select the settings that you would like to use. I suggest these basic settings for Vista:
August 31st 08 07:00 PM
by oscar Go to last post
0 226
Vista network inconsistent by tilleyb
I have a hp laptop with windows vista home and a desktop with windows vista home. My problem is sometimes I can see and access the network and other times I can't see it. If I reboot sometimes the network is accessible sometimes it isn't. This is terribly frustrating since my desktop also is connected to my printer. I've been reading alot of posts about this and can't find a solution....
August 31st 08 02:11 AM
by tickelstheivorys Go to last post
6 350
Network Printing by John
I have a three pc network, one Vista, two 2000. The priniter is hooked up to the Vista pc via USB. I have printer sharing on, but it says password required. When I try to add the printer to the 2000 pc's I get access denied error. Setting up sharing in Vista, it never asked to set a password for the other pc's to access the printer.
August 30th 08 05:02 PM
by Malke[_2_] Go to last post
1 213
Main desktop sees other computers on network - but still wont conn by lujlp
I have everything turned on in the netwrok and sharing center except the password protection feature - that goes for all my computers. I have an actiontec GT701-WG wireless router that is connected to my desptop thru an ethernet connection. I can see all the computers on the network map from every computer, all the laptops can open each other's public file, all the laptops can open the...
August 30th 08 11:32 AM
by Malke[_2_] Go to last post
1 229
Is there a simple published solution? by DC[_2_]
I'm running XP on my desktop and Vista on my laptop. Both are connected to the wireless network, and the printer is connected via USB to the desktop. However, the laptop can't find the printer or shared folders (although it finds the internet connection). If I decide just to start over again from scratch and reboot the router, are there instructions printed somewhere that will walk me through...
August 30th 08 07:52 AM
by Mick Murphy Go to last post
5 257
Replacing an XP home network wi8th aVista network. by Eric Seig...
I had set up a home network on an XP PC a while ago. I now have a new Vista PC which I would like to set up a home network on. How do I delete the old network from my XP PC before setting up a new home network on my new PC? I have several PCs (including the old one used to set up the old network) connected wired and wireless to the router. -- Eric S.
August 30th 08 07:52 AM
by Mick Murphy Go to last post
2 253
How can anything be this bad? by Nogginsaked
I open an Excel spreadsheet stored on one Vista machine on a second. I cannot save the document because first it says it is read only (the original is NOT read only). I can not save the document back on the first machine with a different name (e.g. vista sucks) because it says I do not have permission. However the sharing on the first machine says I have full privileges for opening and...
(Multi-page thread 1 2)
August 29th 08 08:56 PM
by Darrick West Go to last post
19 603
VPN connection disconnects automatically on Vista by T. Schissler
Hi I have Vista x64 on my notebook and I have a problem. I connect via VPN connection and the connection is established sucessfully. But after a few minutes the connection is lost and a redail is executed automatically. If I reboot the computer completely, it woorks better, but when I hybernate my notebook and restarte it from hybernate state I allways have th described problems. Not sure if...
August 29th 08 07:53 PM
by T. Schissler Go to last post
0 205
Suddenly "working offline" by Robert Aldwinckle
(cross-post added to Vista Networking) "Amanda" wrote in message ... Sometimes when I navigate to a web page, a window pops up, a dialog box titled "dial up connection" and it asks to "select the service you want to connect to" and has drop down boxes for broadband, dial up etc. This is not the way I...
August 29th 08 04:29 PM
by Donald Anadell Go to last post

From The