Threads in Forum : Networking with Windows Vista Forum Tools Search this Forum Feed Icon
Restoring files from changed names & locations by Michael from Mountains
Somehow I lost files & folders. Their names, locations, connections & shortcuts are gone. I System Restored yet i have duplicates and empty folders. I chatted with the techs online but not much help. They are great and this is an HP TouchSmart IQ846 TouchScreen 25.5" Desktop computer that is smarter than I am. I also have called and written for the free upgrade for Windows 7 - but alas - i...
November 28th 09 12:12 AM
by Michael from Mountains Go to last post
0 167
Restoring files from changed names & locations by Michael from Mountains
Somehow I lost files & folders. Their names, locations, connections & shortcuts are gone. I System Restored yet i have duplicates and empty folders. I chatted with the techs online but not much help. They are great and this is an HP TouchSmart IQ846 TouchScreen 25.5" Desktop computer that is smarter than I am. I also have called and written for the free upgrade for Windows 7 - but alas - i...
November 28th 09 12:12 AM
by Michael from Mountains Go to last post
0 281
Multiple Network Cards and Networks by Richard
Hi, My home PC has 2 network cards in it: 1. Wireless network card that is used for accessing my wireless ADSL router. THis is the primary neto9wrk interface I use to connect to the internet 2. An on board ethernet NIC that I am trying to use as a private network. This is connected to a netgear switch on my desk, which I use as a private network that I plug my laptop into. The problem
(Multi-page thread 1 2)
November 27th 09 11:57 AM
by Wron Go to last post
14 476
Media Streaming by Endulini
Hi Everyone, I am using a NAS for storing all my media files (photos, DVDs, music etc) and was interested in the possibilty of using this drive to stream the info around my house but all the systems I can find rely on a PC to at least facilitate this. Are there any systems that would be able to read the NAS directly on need the PC to be on? Also are there any systems that would take the...
November 26th 09 10:32 PM
by Endulini Go to last post
0 183
I think I need a NAT solution... right??? by MrGibbage
I am on Cox HS internet, using DynDNS. WRT54G router. I have a PC that stays on 24/7 (windows XP). I am trying to set up some IP webcams for home security and they have built in webservers, but they can only run on port 80. Cox blocks port 80. The only solution I can think of is to set up a port forwarding rule in the router to forward requests such as mydyndns.org:12341 for camera one or...
(Multi-page thread 1 2)
November 26th 09 03:11 PM
by Bill Kearney Go to last post
12 429
Vista 64 Home Wireless Router: New Problem by petergoode
If anyone has any thoughts on the following, would be much appreciated. Over the past week, I have noted a new problem using my HP Pavillion notebook running Vista Home Premium 64 bit on a home network. Specifically, when I initially boot up, I am encountering frequent occasions whereby the wireless device identifies the name of my Linksys home router, but cannot connect for either local...
November 26th 09 12:34 AM
by petergoode Go to last post
0 198
Vista 64 Home Wireless Router: New Problem by petergoode
If anyone has any thoughts on the following, would be much appreciated. Over the past week, I have noted a new problem using my HP Pavillion notebook running Vista Home Premium 64 bit on a home network. Specifically, when I initially boot up, I am encountering frequent occasions whereby the wireless device identifies the name of my Linksys home router, but cannot connect for either local...
November 26th 09 12:34 AM
by petergoode Go to last post
0 206
Connection Keeps Dropping and Network Discovery turns itself off by Endulini
Hi All, My connection keeps dropping every once in a while and my computer keeps turning off network discovery. I'm not sure that the two events are linked but it smells kind of fishy to me. On an IT colleague's suggestion I tried disabling the uPnP setting on my router although this doesn't seem to have helped. The dodgy connection I thought might be due to the microfilters but I'm not...
November 25th 09 04:55 PM
by igotsaurus Go to last post
4 267
Using Vista/Win7 common roaming profiles by Guy[_5_]
Our school environment is currently on XP. We find with roaming profiles and multiple users sharing the login (student class logins), you end up with too many corrupt profiles left on machines all around causing all sorts of problems. To get around this, I have a single user profile that accounts only have read only access too when they log on. When they log off no changes they make can...
November 24th 09 10:59 PM
by Guy[_5_] Go to last post
0 210
Using Vista/Win7 common roaming profiles by Guy[_5_]
Our school environment is currently on XP. We find with roaming profiles and multiple users sharing the login (student class logins), you end up with too many corrupt profiles left on machines all around causing all sorts of problems. To get around this, I have a single user profile that accounts only have read only access too when they log on. When they log off no changes they make can...
November 24th 09 10:59 PM
by Guy[_5_] Go to last post
0 124
Connection Keeps Dropping and Network Discovery turns itself off by Endulini
Hi All, My connection keeps dropping every once in a while and my computer keeps turning off network discovery. I'm not sure that the two events are linked but it smells kind of fishy to me. On an IT colleague's suggestion I tried disabling the uPnP setting on my router although this doesn't seem to have helped. The dodgy connection I thought might be due to the microfilters but I'm not...
November 24th 09 09:52 PM
by Endulini Go to last post
0 155
local area 2 connection - Windows Vista Home Premium 32 bit by naldymay
Did a PC Factory Restore on Dell Inspiron 530 running Home Premium Vista 32 Bit due to file corruption issues. No connectivity problems - In middle of Dell PC Factory restore the home lost Comcast Internet Service due to "line interference" - according to Comcast. This then casued problems with completion of factory restore on the computer due to connectivity problems and having to validate...
November 24th 09 05:41 PM
by naldymay Go to last post
4 247
I think I need a NAT solution... right??? by MrGibbage
I am on Cox HS internet, using DynDNS. WRT54G router. I have a PC that stays on 24/7 (windows XP). I am trying to set up some IP webcams for home security and they have built in webservers, but they can only run on port 80. Cox blocks port 80. The only solution I can think of is to set up a port forwarding rule in the router to forward requests such as mydyndns.org:12341 for camera one or...
November 24th 09 04:03 PM
by MrGibbage Go to last post
0 150
Ics not working with ad hoc wireless network by slagnman
I'M HAVING THE SAME PROBLEM AS EVERYONE ELSE ON HERE!!! I've experienced this with two different computers not, I'm trying to share through a friends laptop to my mac. Each computer worked at first, but then the internet sharing button disappears when you create the network, it last for a few connections and then it's gone. You can still connect to the network but no internet. When I follow the...
November 24th 09 10:14 AM
by avelis26 Go to last post
4 290
Firewall Service Cannot Start When Not Connected to Domain by W[_2_]
We have a Vista Ultimate installation with all service packs installed. Both the local security policy and the domain policy after joining a domain have the reserved accounts NETWORK SERVICE and LOCAL SERVICE configured to start as a service. If we disconnect the notebook from the domain and restart it, the Windows Firewall service refuses to start. All attempts to manage the firewall...
November 24th 09 03:26 AM
by W[_2_] Go to last post
8 255
disable automatic search for shared printers by tricky300
Hi, Thanks in advance to anyone who can help. On Win XP there was a tick box under folder options view tab to enable/disable automatic searching for network folders and printers. I cannot find the equivalent for this in Vista Business or Vista Ultimate. Does anyone know how to do this in Vista?
(Multi-page thread 1 2)
November 24th 09 01:46 AM
by ddd vgfldldl fllldldl vc[_2_] Go to last post
14 434
Sharing issue by Barb
I want to be able to move a file across my home network (both PCs are Vista). I have shared the destination folder with "Everyone" to be a co-owner. I do not have passwords set up. I can "see" the destination folder across the network and can open documents in it, but it will not allow me to move files into it. The weird thing is, I encountered this for the first time a couple of days...
(Multi-page thread 1 2)
November 23rd 09 04:13 PM
by Barb Go to last post
10 442
How to logout-relogin wiht new user name by TedT
I am using a Vista computer as a file server in our office. I have a few log in names, but once I am logged in, everytime I go to the server it automatically grants access, so I never get a chance to change my logout or log in under another name. I need to reboot my computer before it will again ask me for a login name and password. How can I log out of the server or force the server to...
November 23rd 09 12:35 PM
by ddd vgfldldl fllldldl vc[_2_] Go to last post
8 265
local area 2 connection - Windows Vista Home Premium 32 bit by naldymay
Did a PC Factory Restore on Dell Inspiron 530 running Home Premium Vista 32 Bit due to file corruption issues. No connectivity problems - In middle of Dell PC Factory restore the home lost Comcast Internet Service due to "line interference" - according to Comcast. This then casued problems with completion of factory restore on the computer due to connectivity problems and having to validate...
November 22nd 09 07:28 PM
by naldymay Go to last post
0 153
Firewall Service Cannot Start When Not Connected to Domain by W[_2_]
We have a Vista Ultimate installation with all service packs installed. Both the local security policy and the domain policy after joining a domain have the reserved accounts NETWORK SERVICE and LOCAL SERVICE configured to start as a service. If we disconnect the notebook from the domain and restart it, the Windows Firewall service refuses to start. All attempts to manage the firewall...
November 21st 09 05:25 AM
by W[_2_] Go to last post

From The