Threads in Forum : Networking with Windows Vista Forum Tools Search this Forum Feed Icon
desktop sharing by Te Wilson
Can i control my xp home desktop using my windows vista home? How can i do it?
May 19th 10 04:08 PM
by dvmitchell Go to last post
6 775
how to delete defunct profiles in the connect to a network box by Alex McFarlane[_2_]
Dear All, I have a small wireless network at home. It used to be unsecured with MAC address filtering but once I found that MAC addresses could be cloned, I replaced all my WAPs to be able to use WPA-2 encryption. Now vista retains the old unsecured profiles (even though it recognises them to be defunct) in the connect to a network box which appears when I move around the house and change the...
May 19th 10 02:44 PM
by Alex McFarlane[_2_] Go to last post
0 348
Printer Sharing - Pause Issues... by ksay85
All machines that I am working on are Vista. When I try and print to a shared printer the job always shows up in the print queue as 'paused'. If I right click and select 'resume printing' it prints fine. I have tried several printer driver options all with the same results. Any ideas?
May 19th 10 07:01 AM
by edwardswamp Go to last post
2 720
sharing the printer on an XP windows with laptop with VIsta by Abdul Rehman
Ther printers is printing but is not printing the correct contents of the file, it prints charachters like box or symbols etc.. Can you please help
May 19th 10 06:54 AM
by edwardswamp Go to last post
2 693
Printer Sharing by Earl Partridge[_2_]
Not Vista, but both sides... XP and Windows 7. This is the only "Sharing" place found. On the 7 machine I have a printer that is shared, but it can not be seen by the XP machine. On the XP machine I do a Add Printer, the 7 machine name is found but there are no printers there to select. Both machines are in the same workgroup.
May 19th 10 06:49 AM
by edwardswamp Go to last post
4 732
Recovering hard drive files by Onofrio
Hi all; I have a divx reader with hard disk connected by a wireless network to my PC: while I was renaming some folders the network went down and the folders become files, so now are unreadable. Now, when I connect the network drive, in the left column I have 8 folders (instead of the 10 that I had before) and two files of 0kb. Before this problem these two files were two folders containing...
May 19th 10 06:41 AM
by edwardswamp Go to last post
4 824
Xbox Connection rage by the wilson
Hi I have been trying to connect my pc to xbox 360 through a wireless network for weeks, the xbox finds my pc when the pc is plugged into it with an ethernet but cannot find it through wireless. all my housemates pc's connect fine through wireless. vista can find the xbox on the network map. -- the wilson
May 19th 10 06:36 AM
by edwardswamp Go to last post
2 713
Share one way by CJ[_2_]
Hi Groupies I am no network guru! I have a basic network in my home. I can see a shared folder on my laptop and a shared folder on my tower. However, I can only drag and drop data from the tower to the laptop but not from the laptop to the tower. I believe that I had granted full permission between the two and I thought I had set up everything the same but obviously something is missing.
May 18th 10 02:46 PM
by CJ[_2_] Go to last post
1 378
New System - Vista Home Premium - Not able to browse microsoft sites- able to browse other sites. by [email protected]
Hi, I got a new pc with Vista home premium. With my broadband connection, I am able to borwse internet sites, except microsoft sites (hotmail, msn). Also certail applications do not recognize the internrt connection - Any clue what is the problem?
May 18th 10 10:47 AM
by hein Go to last post
4 627
Win 98 cannot access vista shares by WillyG
Hi, I have have 4 computers on one network. Two of them are running XP Pro SP3, 1 is running Win 98SE and the other is running Vista X64 Home Premium SP2. All of the PCs can see each other on the network. All of the PCs can access each others shares except for the win98 machine. It can access the XPs but cannot access the Vista. All of the PCs show up in Network Neighborhood, but when I...
May 17th 10 09:19 PM
by James Egan Go to last post
4 575
Win 98 cannot access vista shares by WillyG
Hi, I have have 4 computers on one network. Two of them are running XP Pro SP3, 1 is running Win 98SE and the other is running Vista X64 Home Premium SP2. All of the PCs can see each other on the network. All of the PCs can access each others shares except for the win98 machine. It can access the XPs but cannot access the Vista. All of the PCs show up in Network Neighborhood, but when I...
May 17th 10 11:46 AM
by WillyG Go to last post
0 327
do het weth me by DANNY M.
May 16th 10 09:54 PM
by DANNY M. Go to last post
0 383
Win 7 / Vista Sharing Problem by Angstromm[_3_]
My desktop is a Win7 Ultimate system and laptop is Vista Ultimate. I've tired setting all the permissions for accessing certain drives on my Desktop (and laptop) but can't seem to access anything except the the usual Publich folders. At first, I was able to access an external, USB 1.5 TB drive, but as soon as I formatted from a FAT32 filesystem to NTFS, I could no longer access it--get an...
May 15th 10 01:30 AM
by Angstromm[_3_] Go to last post
6 607
XP vs. Vista by Bill H.
Have a small network consisting of one Win XP Media Center Ed. and one Vista home premium (and an Internet router). The Vista crashed and was restored to factory and apps reinstalled, etc. Each computer has dedicated IP address, and each runs a version of Norton Internet Security. They are in the same workgroup. Prior to the Vista problem, all was generall well. Now, the XP seems to...
(Multi-page thread 1 2)
May 14th 10 08:56 AM
by robinson[_2_] Go to last post
18 966
Vista - I must wait 4 minutes before I can connect to the internet by rpgs rock dvds
When Vista's desktop appears, I can't connect to the internet for about 4 minutes. If I click on IE or Outlook Express, these applications don't appear on the desktop. Also, the Avast anti-virus icon in the system tray says: "you're not fully protected". After about 4 minutes of this idleness, the system shudders in to life, and I can then use IE & Outlook Express and connect to the...
May 13th 10 04:18 PM
by Jack [MVP-Networking] Go to last post
6 592
Vista - I must wait 4 minutes before I can connect to the internet by rpgs rock dvds
When Vista's desktop appears, I can't connect to the internet for about 4 minutes. If I click on IE or Outlook Express, these applications don't appear on the desktop. Also, the Avast anti-virus icon in the system tray says: "you're not fully protected". After about 4 minutes of this idleness, the system shudders in to life, and I can then use IE & Outlook Express and connect to the...
May 13th 10 07:25 AM
by rpgs rock dvds Go to last post
0 325
The dependency service or group failed to start by Roolet
You'll probably think I shouldn't complain about this, because my Dell Vosto laptop connects perfectly via my Netgear router. But the icon in the System Tray has a red cross through it, and the message it displays is: Connection Status Unknown: The Dependency Service or Group Failed to Start. I use Trend Micro Internet Security for anti-virus and firewall, so tried turning them off. Still no...
May 12th 10 09:06 AM
by BarryJG Go to last post
5 480
Web pages don't always load, but usually do when refreshed by £Jim
Hi, Click on a Web link and get a page not found error (in IE or Firefox). Click retry/reload and it usually goes through. System log shows multiple copies of this message, "Your computer was successfully assigned an address from the network, and it can now connect to other computers" although it is asigned an IP by a Windows server on the LAN with a long expiration. Known issue? Any fixes? --
May 12th 10 02:42 AM
by Dirtylarry444 Go to last post
3 515
website not set up to establish connection with WWW service (HTTP) by spoo
just got a new laptop with vista on. Connects to wireless network router but won't go the further step to connect to the internet. I get a message in diagnose connection problems like this: "www.microsoft.com" is not set up to establish a connection on port "World Wide Web service (HTTP)" with this computer. what do i do, i'm no expert. please help me
(Multi-page thread 1 2)
May 11th 10 05:29 PM
by thestroke Go to last post
13 760
Vista Windows Update breaks Cisco Client! by shauny
Hi I was running the Cisco VPN version 5.0.00.0090 happily (as administrator) until I did a windows update yesterday. Now the VPN connection gives me a 442 error (Failed to enable virtual adapter). I have added the UseLegacyIKEPort=0 line to my profile, but it still errors. Any ideas?
(Multi-page thread 1 2)
May 10th 10 03:15 PM
by sapphirenut Go to last post
19 1,065