Threads in Forum : Networking with Windows Vista Forum Tools Search this Forum Feed Icon
Network & Internet by phani kumar
I am using Windows Vista Business edition. Recently I am facing problems with Local network when connected to the Internet. Unable to browse network when connected to internet. When I reboot after getting disconnected to internet, I have no problem browsing local network. My internet is broadband connection on a separate LAN card & local area network is on-board LAN (intel motherboard)....
May 5th 07 08:03 AM
by phani kumar Go to last post
2 273
Offline Files problems... by Rob Pelletier
I am working with a client's Vista Business laptop and want to make a folder on his SBS 2003 server available offline. When I do so, I get HUNDREDS of errors: "The process cannot access the file because it is being used by another process." (Just over 500 of them now, and counting...) I know there is nobody else using these files - this user is the only one with rights to the folder. ...
May 5th 07 03:16 AM
by Rob Pelletier Go to last post
4 277
Vista and sharepoint by muaddib32
Having lots of problems with sharepoint. Running WSS2.0 on my SBS server, and WSS3.0 on a networked W2K3 server. I can map a drive to a sharepoint document library. However, next time I log in there is a big red cross through the shortcut and it doesn't work. Doesn't ask for authentication and just refuses access because "the user has not been authenticated". I can create a new network...
May 5th 07 12:37 AM
by muaddib32 Go to last post
0 255
Vista and XP file sharing problem on wired LAN by Duo64
Hi, I realize that there are already a ton of threads on Vista/XP file sharing problems but I have did a search and non of them addresses my specific problem, nor does it contain the same case that I have. My setup consists of a new HP laptop dv6375us with vista home premium and a desktop running xp pro. Both computers are connected to a D-Link wireless router, with the desktop always on wired...
May 4th 07 10:33 PM
by Robert L [MVP - Networking] Go to last post
1 284
Can XP and Vista computers co-exist in the same workgroup? by makerofgirls
After installing my 3rd Vista computerat home, I can no longer see the old XP computers from my Vista computers and viceversa (up to the 2nd one I could..). The Vista ones can see each other, but the XP cannot any longer... I have defined again the workgroup name to no avail... Does anybody have any idea what I did wrong and how to reverse it? Many thanks...
May 4th 07 06:02 PM
by Dana Cline - MVP Go to last post
2 258
networkmagic by Ed Chait
I have no affiliation to this company, but it has solved all my networking and file and printer sharing issues between Vista and XP. www.networkmagic.com I highly recommend this program. My wireless network is now exactly how I want it and I also have web access to all my shared folders. Ed Chait
May 4th 07 05:45 PM
by Kim [MS] Go to last post
4 271
wireless not connecting by Craig
Hi i have been trying to connect to my wireless wifi, but i am just getting a local connection? how do i fix this to show the internet aswell, my friends laptop who uses xp can connect fine, i have WEP security set, what do i need to do, to get this working?
May 4th 07 03:56 PM
by Kim [MS] Go to last post
4 267
Vista and Win ME - Internet Sharing by mike888
Hi, I have a DLink Router DI604 (wired). How do I share the internet connection between Vista and WIN ME? I tried connecting both to the router, only the vista connection works but not the ME. Please advise.
May 4th 07 03:40 PM
by Kim [MS] Go to last post
3 275
dropping internet connection by Bob H
Have had a Dell XPS 410 running Vista Ultimate for 2 months and it still is dropping my Internet connection 14 or more times a day. Have to restart to connect again. I have a wired connection to a AT&T 2wire router and DSL. The dropped connections seem to occur more often when I start up (from overnight shutdown) in the morning. Then during the day the connection will hold sometimes for 3...
May 4th 07 03:28 PM
by Bob H Go to last post
1 281
Unable to Connect to Network Storage Device by Kiran
HI, I have Windows Vista Home Premium. I've attached my Network Storage Device(buffallo link station) to my wireless router. But i am unable to discover/detect the device, where as i could do the same with my other laptop which is XP Professional. At last i connected by giving \\192.168.1.5 with credentials, but unable to see the protected folders. I am unable to connect to protected shared...
May 4th 07 03:24 PM
by [email protected] Go to last post
3 262
VPN Help by skiptroll
I am trying to VPN to my office. i have vista 64 bit ultimate on my laptop. when i use my wireless modem card i can connect to the internet. when i go to connect to the vpn it connects and registers my computer on the network. it says i am connected, but i lose internet connection cause it sees 2 networks. when internet connection is lost i can't see my network computers. when i...
May 4th 07 03:06 PM
by skiptroll Go to last post
5 281
Manage Wireless Networks by Mark
I have two wireless networks stored on my new laptop. One for home and one for work. Before I upgraded to Ultimate from Premier, I would not have any issues connecting to my Work or Home Access Point. However, since upgraded to Ultimate, I can only connect to the Access Points if I choose to "Diagnose and Repair" or shut down my wireless network modem and turn it back on, on my laptop. ...
May 4th 07 02:23 PM
by Kim [MS] Go to last post
1 253
Two network profiles by baxiabhishek
I use my Windows Vista at home with a broadband connection with static IP and at work with a dynamic IP. At work, I also use a proxy. I need to change the IP and proxy settings everymorning at work and in evening at home for all applications like IE. Is there a way where I can define two network profiles, home and work, and choose one without changing all settings everytime I move. Abhishek...
May 4th 07 01:35 PM
by Sooner Al [MVP] Go to last post
1 243
Securing wireless connections by DSL Tech
I do several thing to secure wireless connections for my customers, however one of the key features I use is turning off the Broadcast ID ( SSID ) to hide the name of the WLAN along with other security measures, however the wireless network adapter/controler will not keep the Broadcast ID connection as it does in XP. When you turn off the Vista computer/ laptop it forgets the ID it belongs...
May 4th 07 01:07 PM
by DSL Tech Go to last post
7 275
Help With Shortcut Of Dialer Internet + UPS Preferences by מאור
Hello... Please can anyone tell me how to make a shortcut on desktop for my dialer internet connection? & other thing - how can i define my UPS on vista? i can't find it. Thanx!
May 4th 07 11:05 AM
by מאור Go to last post
0 250
Can't share files or see other computers on workgroup (and can't P by mchinsomboon
I have a Linksys Draft-N network with 2 XP machines (one wireless, one wired), and my new Vista Ultimate machine that can be both wired and wireless (tried both), and I cannot seem to get file sharing to work properly. I have it working fine on my two XP machines, between each other. I checked the WORKGROUP and they match. In fact, on the XP machines, I can see the Vista machine, but when I...
May 4th 07 07:43 AM
by Chuck Go to last post
3 252
Access Vista Hard Drive from XP machine by sneuendorf
I would like to do this. I can access the XP hard drive from the Vista machine and I set up the sharing on the Vista (Business) machine in apparently the same way as on the XP machine. I can map the drive and its individual folders, but when I try to access anything I get an access denied message. Actually I am doing this for all the wrong reasons. I want to see if I can scan my Vista drive...
May 4th 07 05:24 AM
by sneuendorf Go to last post
3 243
Vista wirelss networking no work, wired networking works by chalmers
I have a laptop with Vista home premium on it that I am trying to connect to a network. I can connect and see all the other computers on the network if I am wired to the network but if I go wireless all I can do is surf the web. What do I need to do to be able to see the other computers useing the wireless feature? The other computers are XP and yes I am on the same workgroup. Everything...
May 4th 07 03:54 AM
by Robert L [MVP - Networking] Go to last post
1 220
Wireless & Vista by Mickle12
Hey there! Windows won't connect on the wire less Lets keep it simple and brief: bough new pc, Acer E700 with windows Vista Premium. Got several wireless adapters, Pci gigabyte, dlink usb, and netgear wireless usb. My Network router is a Dlink. I have five other computers around the house connect though wired and wireless, all have windows xp. It is using WPA-psk so no probs with the WEP vista...
May 4th 07 03:39 AM
by Robert L [MVP - Networking] Go to last post
3 237
Need a Vista Certified USB Wirelss Device? by phillfri
Try the ZyXEL G-202. But DO NOT use the driver that Vista will attempt to load. It won't work (causes BSODs). Get the driver off of the ZyXEL web site. The driver works on both XP and Vista. Don't install the ZyXEL USB device utility software, just the driver. Let Windows XP or Vista manage the device, and it works fine. This is a wireless G device that can also be used as an access point...
May 4th 07 02:56 AM
by phillfri Go to last post

From The