Threads in Forum : Networking with Windows Vista Forum Tools Search this Forum Feed Icon
Connect to WiFi by Ifan
When I try to connect to my home wireless network I get the message that connection failed for an uknown reason. The computer finds and displays the wireless network correctly but just fails to connect. Any suggestions as to what might be the problem? The modem? The operating system? The hardware? Settings? I am using RC1 and an MSI Dual Net card with the native Vista wireless
October 7th 06 02:48 PM
by 2pods Go to last post
1 382
Remote Desktops (tsmmc) by Karim
Hello all, Anyone know how to duplicate the "Remote Desktops" functionality (from Windows Server 2003) in Windows Vista? Thanks, - karim
October 6th 06 08:56 PM
by Karim Go to last post
0 353
What is 'business networking'? by Rick Cameron
Hi, all I notice that the Home editions of Vista do not have 'business networking'. My only complaint about XP Home is that I cannot connect to my XP Home PC from my XP Pro PC as an administrator; XP Home always authenticates remote users as guest, so even though my ID on the XP Home PC is an administrator, I can't get full read/write access to the C$ share on the XP Home PC. Does anyone...
October 6th 06 05:28 PM
by Rick Cameron Go to last post
0 355
Nic Binding Order by Getty Lab Manager
Where can I set or change the binding order for computers that have multiplle NICS?
October 6th 06 04:10 PM
by Getty Lab Manager Go to last post
0 363
Web Publishing Wizard? by Roadstergal
I have recently put on Vista RC1, and it is working dandily; the hardware support is better than XP was on my (not-so-new) machine. I do have one question; although I have an FTP application that works perfectly happily, I did use the Web Publishing Wizard in XP for just one site for which it was much easier. Is the WPW not a part of Vista?
October 6th 06 12:07 PM
by Jimmy Brush Go to last post
1 364
Sync Mobile 5 with Outlook 12 and Vista Beta 2 by jknixon
That's great for synchronizing stuff our kids might use--pictures and movies--but how about the applications your real purchasers really need in order to make the money to buy your software, i.e., our outlook calendars, contacts, e-mail, etc.? By delaying the synch update you are alienating your early adopters. These are the very folks who would otherwise be giving glowing recomendations...
October 5th 06 09:48 PM
by jknixon Go to last post
2 454
internet connnections by grumpy
I have a Linksysmodel BEFW11S4 wireless router that I have hooked up via cat 5 to this computer. I am running Winxp and WinVista on two different hard drives. I am on XP now as I cannot connect to the internet with Vista.
October 5th 06 08:26 PM
by grumpy Go to last post
0 328
PPTP VPN by m3th
Hello.. I'm trying to setup an ADSL connection with PPTP through VPN on Windows Vista without any luck... I've tried going through the settings and checking all of them... I just need to know how to create a dialer and where to change its settings.. that's all! any help will be greatly appreciated.. ty!
October 5th 06 06:16 PM
by m3th Go to last post
0 342
Search for computers.... by Al
Under Windows XP, if you right click on 'My network Places', there is a 'Search for Computers.....' options. I have two routers connected to earch other (wireless and non-wireless with different 192.168... ranges) and I can use this feature to find computers in the other routers. Can someone tell me where is this 'search for computers...' feature under Windows Vista?
October 5th 06 06:08 PM
by Al Go to last post
0 333
Unable to backup to WD NetCenter 500 via ethernet by Brent
I am unable to use Vista RC1 Backup with this network drive. I have appropriate rights and can use Explorer to manage files. After selecting the drive and folder with Backup, I get a message that accounts are invalid. If I remove the username and password on the drive (public access) Backup won't let me proceed without the username and password. I have seen similar questions here, but no...
October 5th 06 06:01 PM
by Brent Go to last post
0 310
Unable to backup to WD NetCenter 500 via ethernet by Brent
I am unable to use Vista RC1 Backup with this network drive. I have appropriate rights and can use Explorer to manage files. After selecting the drive and folder with Backup, I get a message that accounts are invalid. If I remove the username and password on the drive (public access) Backup won't let me proceed without the username and password. I have seen similar questions here, but no...
October 5th 06 06:00 PM
by Brent Go to last post
0 320
Can XP pro connect to XP home using remote desktop connection? by tau487
Can i connect a computer running XP Professional to a computer running XP Home??
October 5th 06 03:47 PM
by Sooner Al [MVP] Go to last post
3 361
Ping Localhost Returns Invalid IP by Leightynet
I'm having trouble testing an ASP.net app on IIS7. In my application I'm testing the IP address of the host and acting on it. This test fails on Vista because the system is returning an invalid IP address for localhost. All 3 of the following commands return ::1 rather then 127.0.0.1 Ping...
October 5th 06 02:52 PM
by Peter Thomas Go to last post
7 485
network issues by Lvsysop
Installed RC1 of Vista as an upgrade over XP-PRO. Vista can see the other shared drives on the other 3 machines on the network, but can not connect to them. The error keeps telling me to check the spelling of the name. When I view the network & sharing area it says I have a private network which I beleive is correct, but when I go to the properties of My Computer, it shows it as a...
October 5th 06 12:23 PM
by Lvsysop Go to last post
0 331
Spooler Error - Windows cannot connect a shared printer on XP Pro. by noonie
Greetings, When trying to connect to a shared Brother Laser (HL-2040) from a Windows Vista machine (upgraded from XP Pro) over a wireless network I get the following error:- "Windows cannot connect to the printer. The server print spooler service is not running. Please restart the spooler on the server or restart the server machine."
October 5th 06 03:38 AM
by john_medic_2000 Go to last post
6 640
Why is my wireless connection slower than on XP? by def/
Hi there, Since upgrading my xp to rc1 i have noticed that my download speed on my wireless network connection is just over 10% of what it was before. It claims the signal strength has gone from "Excellent" (xp) to "Poor" (RC1), even though the computer or router hasnt moved at all. I am using a dlink router and adapter, Could anyone offer any help??
October 4th 06 10:30 PM
by Mike Go to last post
1 391
Wireless modem not working by Adriaan
My IPWireless modem connects to the pc via ethernet cable, and in XP used the PPPoE. After my upgrade to Vista the modem is not detected. My networking skills are not too hot and I would appreciate any insights.
October 4th 06 05:48 PM
by Petely \(Peter Sloan\) Go to last post
1 423
I can't save a VPN configuration on RC1. by Daniel C. Kline
I was doing this with BETA2. I have a simple VPN to set up using the wizard. I ask it not to conect, but save anyway, so that I can edit a few parameters. The dialog closes and there is no VPN connection to modify.
October 4th 06 05:47 PM
by Petely \(Peter Sloan\) Go to last post
2 544
connecting my Laptop to Vista by Voyager529
I don't have a solution, but I can offer some sympathy. I use a firewire cable to connect my laptop and desktop together. My desktop holds all my software and drivers, so I need a FW network to transfer them and VNC to the desktop. That's really what's keeping me running Windows XP right now...consider this a second request for a solution for a firewire network! Joey
October 4th 06 04:50 PM
by Voyager529 Go to last post
0 428
UAC and file sharing by Maxim S. Shatskih
I have created 2 shares on a Vista RC 1 5600 machine. The ACLs on both shares were - "Administrators: full control" - and nothing else. I could not access these shares from another machine (w2k), user the same username and password! The user account was a member of Administrators group on Vista. Explicitly adding "MyUser: full control" to the share permissions solved the
October 4th 06 02:46 PM
by Jimmy Brush Go to last post

From The