Threads in Forum : Networking with Windows Vista Forum Tools Search this Forum Feed Icon
Vista only shares with xp in public mode by netmaximus
I am trying to share a vista with xp and it shares the folders only in public mode I looked at the online documents which states that it should be private. Any ideas. Thanks --
April 26th 10 04:46 AM
by netmaximus Go to last post
0 359
Vista only shares with xp in public mode by netmaximus
I am trying to share a vista with xp and it shares the folders only in public mode I looked at the online documents which states that it should be private. Any ideas. Thanks --
April 26th 10 04:46 AM
by netmaximus Go to last post
0 474
Cannot initiate Remote Desktop session by Jason[_20_]
Setup is a wired/wireless router. I'm attempting to open a Remote Desktop connection to an XP pro machine (wired) from a wireless HP laptop running Vista Home Premium. When I try to connect, there is a pause of about 10 seconds and the Vista machine reports that it cannot complete the connection with a message that conveys nothing about why it failed. The strange part is that I have a...
April 23rd 10 02:08 AM
by Jason[_20_] Go to last post
4 550
Cannot initiate Remote Desktop session by Jason[_20_]
Setup is a wired/wireless router. I'm attempting to open a Remote Desktop connection to an XP pro machine (wired) from a wireless HP laptop running Vista Home Premium. When I try to connect, there is a pause of about 10 seconds and the Vista machine reports that it cannot complete the connection with a message that conveys nothing about why it failed. The strange part is that I have a...
April 21st 10 06:20 PM
by Jason[_20_] Go to last post
0 359
Vista backup to XP OS partition by ctops.legal
Problem, this is not a network sharing problem but networking the OS's may be the only way to solve this problem, here is the question; Client wanted Win. 7 on notebook to replace Vista H/B SP1, 1st 4 backup DVD's were made from the Vista sys., then the 3 DVD restore discs were created from recovery mang. New OS was installed (clean install), client wanted to start using MS outlook 2007 instead...
April 20th 10 11:30 AM
by ctops.legal Go to last post
2 559
Vista backup to XP OS partition by ctops.legal
Problem, this is not a network sharing problem but networking the OS's may be the only way to solve this problem, here is the question; Client wanted Win. 7 on notebook to replace Vista H/B SP1, 1st 4 backup DVD's were made from the Vista sys., then the 3 DVD restore discs were created from recovery mang. New OS was installed (clean install), client wanted to start using MS outlook 2007 instead...
April 20th 10 10:52 AM
by ctops.legal Go to last post
0 383
XP vs. Vista by Bill H.
Have a small network consisting of one Win XP Media Center Ed. and one Vista home premium (and an Internet router). The Vista crashed and was restored to factory and apps reinstalled, etc. Each computer has dedicated IP address, and each runs a version of Norton Internet Security. They are in the same workgroup. Prior to the Vista problem, all was generall well. Now, the XP seems to...
April 20th 10 03:17 AM
by Bill H. Go to last post
0 405
Gateway static IP address disappears everytime I restart by Gizzo
Now you see it now you don't. Here's the scenario. When I reboot everytime, the gateway static IP address disappears. I have to manually enter it again. Everytime! I'm using Vista 32 Business SP2 on a Thinkpad X60s notebook. Why does this happen and what's the solution?
April 20th 10 12:06 AM
by T. Keating Go to last post
8 535
Network File Sharing by Johnain
I would welcome any help from anybody at all for this absurd restriction or deficiency in the Vista operating system. I am perfectly happy for this situation to be discussed publicly. -- Johnain
April 18th 10 10:42 AM
by Johnain Go to last post
0 381
Network File Sharing by Johnain
I would welcome any help from anybody at all for this absurd restriction or deficiency in the Vista operating system. I am perfectly happy for this situation to be discussed publicly. -- Johnain
April 18th 10 10:42 AM
by Johnain Go to last post
0 543
Wireless networking - "Identifying ...(Public Network).." by The Thinker
Hi, I'm having a strange wireless networking problem. I defined a private network in Vista, complete with wireless network connection & key. When I reboot my laptop, it does not auto re-connect to this (only network I have defined), instead it tries to create a new public network (message "Identifying ...(Public Network).." appear in Network and Sharing Centre), with access type of Local Only...
April 16th 10 02:48 PM
by gtghip[_2_] Go to last post
6 705
vista networking by hugh welford
Hi I have 2 machines one with vista home premium and the other with vista ultimate that I need to network to a WIN2000 server. When I try to map the network drive, vista insists on putting the computer name in front of the username, and so I am refused log-on. I have tried set a login credential username/password in vista ultimate (home version wont let me do this). The credential is...
April 15th 10 12:17 PM
by hugh welford Go to last post
0 521
vista networking by hugh welford
Hi I have 2 machines one with vista home premium and the other with vista ultimate that I need to network to a WIN2000 server. When I try to map the network drive, vista insists on putting the computer name in front of the username, and so I am refused log-on. I have tried set a login credential username/password in vista ultimate (home version wont let me do this). The credential is...
April 15th 10 12:17 PM
by hugh welford Go to last post
0 338
Computer Wrongly Identified on Network by tempgal
Hello -- Need help on behalf of a friend, please. She has an XP and a Vista 64-bit computer networked by means of a router. Her printer is also connected to a router. She is not particularly computer literate and is sometimes inclined to not pay attention to what she is doing, so strange things happen. Today a message appeared saying that all network drives could not be
April 15th 10 01:34 AM
by tempgal Go to last post
0 463
Computer Wrongly Identified on Network by tempgal
Hello -- Need help on behalf of a friend, please. She has an XP and a Vista 64-bit computer networked by means of a router. Her printer is also connected to a router. She is not particularly computer literate and is sometimes inclined to not pay attention to what she is doing, so strange things happen. Today a message appeared saying that all network drives could not be
April 15th 10 01:34 AM
by tempgal Go to last post
0 335
general question by ~hp-hdx~
Hi, I've not networked anything yet and am about to try it and thought I may save some time by asking here a couple of general questions. The setlup cosists of a laptop with wifi, and a desktop without wifi. I am sharing internet access with the two pcs via a wifi router. The desktop is cat5'ed to the router, the router cat5'ed to the modem. I have no problem connecting to the internet on...
April 11th 10 07:45 PM
by ~hp-hdx~ Go to last post
0 331
Automatically dial up to VPN by Andreas Y
Is it possible in Windows7/Vista to automatically dial to a VPN account when an attempt is made to an IP of that network? maybe by static routes or RRAS service?
April 7th 10 06:00 PM
by Andreas Y Go to last post
0 299
Automatically dial up to VPN by Andreas Y
Is it possible in Windows7/Vista to automatically dial to a VPN account when an attempt is made to an IP of that network? maybe by static routes or RRAS service?
April 7th 10 06:00 PM
by Andreas Y Go to last post
0 464
Help - setup file share between WinXP and Vista on a home network by User66
It has been years, we have been transferring files between our home PCs and Laptops in our home network. But as we updated our Laptop with Vista SP1 & SP2, the network has become a one way only. We can transfer files to the rest of the network PCs, but the Vista Laptop does not let us in. We do see it listed in our network. We had to re-format the laptop drive and as we loaded the Vista...
(Multi-page thread 1 2)
April 5th 10 05:21 PM
by User66 Go to last post
10 770
printer sharing on vista to vista network by mikey61
I have two m/cs running vista business 32 bit, a dell vostro 400 tower and a toshiba satellite pro laptop. The laptop connects to the Dell wirelessley and internet access and file sharing etc all work fine. The tower is the file server and has a canon MP210 and an HP laserjet 1018 connected both via usb. Both printers work fine from the laptop and are set up as shared printers for the network....
April 5th 10 10:53 AM
by mikey61[_2_] Go to last post

From The