Threads in Forum : Networking with Windows Vista Forum Tools Search this Forum Feed Icon
Remote Dektop Hangs by Bob Bamburg
I connect to over 20 clients servers using remote desktop on my XP machine just fine. Just purchased a Windows Vista Home Premium Computer and am trying to connect the same way to the remote servers. I get a login screen and after typing my ID and Password, I get a partial screen the then the session hangs. This is happening with all remote servers. However, accessing a server on my local...
June 25th 07 09:33 PM
by Stanley Feng \(MSFT\) Go to last post
2 270
Unable to access protected folders on Buffalo Linkstation by Bob Bleecker
I to am having the same issue. What I was able to connect to a protected share if I entered my user name as USERNAME@linkstaion name Also disable Internet protocol Version 6 -- -BoB
September 6th 06 07:59 PM
by Bob Bleecker Go to last post
0 641
Unable to access protected folders on Buffalo Linkstation by Bob Bleecker
I too have been having the same problem. Workaround that seems to work... Disable TCP/IP verson 6 Username for Linkstation should follow this format username@linkstation name
September 6th 06 08:01 PM
by Bob Bleecker Go to last post
0 673
Unable to access protected folders on Buffalo Linkstation by Bob Bleecker
Here is a work around Disable IP version 6 use the the following format when prompted for the Username "username@linkstation name" Seems to be working -- -BoB
September 6th 06 08:04 PM
by Bob Bleecker Go to last post
0 576
Microsoft Plus Game Pack copywrite 2000 by Bob D
The multi player function does not work in Vista, it did in XP. The Live One Care firewall settings for other permitted programs appear to display an address. No address is shown for the bycyle card games executable file. -- Bob D
October 16th 07 10:29 PM
by Bob D Go to last post
0 225
Wired/Wireless Networing - Changing between by Bob Feuer
I am brand new to vista. i was able to set up the laptop for wireless networking. It is set to log on automatically. I have four wired ports on my wireless modem. I was wondering though, since the laptop is set to log on wirelessly automatically, will htere be a problem if I plug the laptop into the wireless router with a cable? Will Vista recognize that the laptop is wired inot the router...
October 2nd 08 06:47 AM
by Cyrus Joudieh Go to last post
8 324
dropping internet connection by Bob H
Have had a Dell XPS 410 running Vista Ultimate for 2 months and it still is dropping my Internet connection 14 or more times a day. Have to restart to connect again. I have a wired connection to a AT&T 2wire router and DSL. The dropped connections seem to occur more often when I start up (from overnight shutdown) in the morning. Then during the day the connection will hold sometimes for 3...
May 4th 07 03:28 PM
by Bob H Go to last post
1 281
Permissions Problem by Bob Hansen[_2_]
Hi Group, I have a small home network. My main desktop is wired to the router and has Vista home premium. I also have a second desktop and a laptop, both with XP and both wireless. When I try to access my folders on the Vista machine from either of the other 2, The error message is \\Bob-Desktop\ Bob Hansen is not accessible. You might not have permission to use this network resource. Contact...
October 24th 07 06:01 AM
by Mick Murphy Go to last post
1 199
Home Network- Syncing files? by Bob Hobden
I have a.... PC running Window XP Home. 1Gb ram. 250Gb HD connected via Ethernet cable to a broadband wireless router and a Laptop running Windows Vista Home Premium. 2Gb ram. 130Gb HD connected by wireless. I've set up the Network and both can use the printer attached to the PC and both can see each others "My Documents" but I can't find how I can get them to sync "My Documents" so I can...
(Multi-page thread 1 2)
November 24th 07 10:14 PM
by Bob Hobden Go to last post
12 331
HP Photosmart 1215 by Bob J.
Have a home network with two desktops (xp and xp/vista dual boot) and one laptop (xp home). The xp machine has the HP attached. Vista can see the XP system, including the printer. However when I try on the Vista machine to setup the printer I get an"You do not have sufficient rights to perform this operation" message. The Vista machine only has one user (me) and that user has...
June 5th 07 05:08 AM
by Bob J. Go to last post
0 181
TCP/IP Properties blank by Bob Johnston
Running Vista Ultimate on a Netgear ADSL router. I have a strange problem developed, I normally run on a manually configured IP address of 192.168.0.215, now when I go into TCP/IP properties, the IP and Subnet are blank. If I enter the address the PC connects but when I come back to look at TCP/IP properties, the information is blank again. I tried to change the address to 192.168.0.190, I...
December 24th 07 02:15 PM
by Robert L. \(MS-MVP\) Go to last post
5 246
VPN L2TP error 789 with Vista / Windows 7 by Bob Lin \(MS-MVP\)
If my memory serves, Cisco VPN can cause this issue also. Do you have Cisco VPN client in your PC? -- Bob Lin, Microsoft-MVP, MCSE & CNE Networking, Internet, Routing, VPN Troubleshooting on http://www.ChicagoTech.net How to Setup Windows, Network, VPN & Remote Access on http://www.HowToNetworking.com
October 30th 09 08:42 PM
by Bob Lin \(MS-MVP\) Go to last post
0 449
is it possible to share the printer only? by Bob Lin \(MS-MVP\)
This is a good question. You may modify the registry. This how to may help: how to disable administrative share - http://chicagotech.net/netforums/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=8416&sid=73a1a479a9d9b1fbe9e4349bc7d25cbc -- Bob Lin, Microsoft-MVP, MCSE & CNE Networking, Internet, Routing, VPN Troubleshooting on http://www.ChicagoTech.net How to Setup Windows, Network, VPN & Remote Access on
November 29th 09 08:00 PM
by Bob Lin \(MS-MVP\) Go to last post
0 224
bizarre login lockout problem by Bob Moore
I am the only Vista user in our company. Other than me, it's all XP or 2000. I "upgraded" my XP system to Vista, and all seemed to work OK. Minor compatability issues, but not too bad. All using my main domain user account. Then we moved the computer account to the main domain. The machine account had been in our own software development domain, but Sophos wouldn't update in that condition...
July 20th 07 07:23 PM
by Bob Moore Go to last post
0 148
vista password change account lockout by Bob Moore
Interesting problem he I've had Vista on my machine for a while now (I'm the departmental guinea pig). I changed my password as requested by policy yesterday. As of today my account is locked out. I requested MIS reset the password, they did. As soon as I restarted the machine, that was locked out too. I checked the usual suspects along the way -
June 20th 07 05:38 PM
by Bob Moore Go to last post
0 277
Wny is Vista networking so inept? by Bob Moore
Well the subject says it all really. I do most of my work on a medium-sized network (300 or so machines), and EVERY single time I open the ntwork explorer, it goes off and starts trying to show me every single machine on the entire network. There are actually only one or two domains I'm interested in on this network, but the only solution is to use the "workgroup" drop down (who named that?!?!)...
June 15th 07 02:26 PM
by Andy Go to last post
5 331
communication not available by bob s
I've set up a printer on my xp wired machine and shared it out to my vista laptop. I was able to get it to connect and print fine. But after i logged out and then back in the printer will not work. I get the following message "Communication Not Available" the Printer cannot communicate with the computer I think it might have to do with the xp share requiring a password
May 31st 09 03:28 AM
by bob s Go to last post
3 322
HP l7680 networked printer by Bob Scott
I have an HP, AIO 7680 pro printer that can be networked and it works fine on my other three networked computers but during setup on my Vista PC, it can't be found even when I manually type in it's IP address. It will only work directly through the USB port but even then when I try to use the HP Printer monitor it says "Device can not be found." I can ping it in DOS and even get just the...
September 29th 07 11:57 AM
by Bob Scott Go to last post
0 167
Vista and XP by Bob the computer guy
is anyone at microsoft trying to fix these problems, many of my customers are taking their computers back or going back to XP....this is maddening--Bob Soll "Notts Ash" wrote: will it be possible for a vista and xp computer to link together in a network
May 25th 07 04:43 PM
by Bob the computer guy Go to last post
0 192
FTP Server Installation by Bob W
I am a novice trying to set up the FTP file server application on Vista Business. I follow MS' instructions to install through "adding Windows features" in Programs in Control Panel, but can't get the FTP Management Console to install. I only get an error message "An error has occurred. Not all of the features were successfully changed." I can't find any discussion about this. Anyone...
September 23rd 07 05:00 PM
by Bob W Go to last post

From The