Threads in Forum : Networking with Windows Vista Forum Tools Search this Forum Feed Icon
Can't See DVD Drives in Vista Remote Desktop by Bravo1
I remote desktop into my Vista Ultimate system at home but can't see my SATA DVD drives. However, I can see my hard drives and card readers. Is there a setting in the UAC that I need to check to allow this? -- Bravo1
May 13th 09 03:53 PM
by Bravo1 Go to last post
0 336
Vista file sharing by topcat
I am able to share printers between my main PC that is directly connected to a Linksys N series router and a laptop theat is wirelessly connected. File sharing I cannot figure out. I found a thread that explained sharing between users but this is not what I want to do. My main PC has a directory D:\Data that I want to access from my laptop. Does anyone have the details on how to...
May 13th 09 01:41 PM
by Malke[_2_] Go to last post
3 305
Vista Live Messenger Remote Assistance doesn't work by ChicagoDoug
I upgraded to Vista Ultimate (clean install onto new hard drive) and cannot get remote assistance to work. When someone requests RA I respond "accept" - as I used to under XP - but nothing happens under Vista - New window does not open. If the requestor requests RA to my XP machine (which is connected to the same Linksys WRT54G router), RA works fine. Running WLM Version 2008 Build...
May 13th 09 01:34 PM
by jcw232000 Go to last post
3 317
Vista Home - PPTP - RDP by Scott D
I have a machine that I can properly PPTP into my network, but cannot RDP or map a drive to any server on the remote network. Not sure what's going on...I can ping them all successfully and I can also RDP from my Professional version with no problem. Wondering if it's a Home Edition problem...anyone seen this? Thanks a million for any help!!
May 13th 09 03:58 AM
by Scott D Go to last post
2 329
Vista Home Premium Remote Desktop Question by rak
I've seen several posts concerning the inability to Remote Access a Vista (x86) Home Premium machine. I can easily access my Vista desktop from an MCE2005 XP machine using Live Mesh -- at least from behind the NAT on my home network. Am I to understand that this is definitively not possible from a remote computer over the internet? If it is possible can someone please summarize?
May 13th 09 12:32 AM
by rak Go to last post
7 322
Established Vista Network - How Can I Add An XP PC to Network by Dermot
Hi Can anyone explain how to add and XP PC to my Vista Network. Any help / tutorial links would be appreciated. Thanks in advance
May 12th 09 11:46 PM
by Malke[_2_] Go to last post
1 263
Do not want to Network, just want internet connection. by gentelmanjack
Hello, I have three computers. one on the main floor (my wifes Vista) and two in the basement office (one win xp and one Linux). We have a wireless router modem (from our internet service provider) and have my wifes computer connected to the modem. I ran CAt 6 cable from the modem to the basement where I have another wireless router. I configured the router to work by disableing UPNP and DNS...
May 12th 09 01:14 AM
by Jack-MVP Go to last post
2 315
Network discovery turns off after reboot (sometimes). by Abdul69
I have a home network with a Belkin wirless router / ADSL modem which three client machines connect to wirelessly (kid's, wife's and my work PC). In addition to my main work PC I have a secondary PC I also use for work that I have set up so that it is connected to the wireless network via my main PC. So the setup is: Router -- Air waves -- Kid's XP machine, Wif'e's Vista machine. Router...
May 11th 09 03:54 PM
by Abdul69 Go to last post
0 319
Printer Sharing - Lexmark by Bruce Roberson
My configuration before I changed out my wired connection to the Lexmark printer was I had one HP Laptop running Windows XP SP2. I also had a dell laptop connected wirelessly to the router and thus to the home network. I was easily able to print wirelessly from the DELL laptop by virtue of the above confiuration as long as the HP Laptop was on. Now, the new scenario is that the HP Laptop is...
May 11th 09 09:29 AM
by JCox Go to last post
3 365
laptop will not automatically connect to wireless internet by tel262
when I start my laptop up it will not connect automatically to wireless internet in my home, I have to right click on icon, opt for diagnose and repair, it then tells me to turn wireless capability on. I opt for it to do that and then it connects. My wireless button on side of laptop is in "on" postion. Tried to find through help etc the wireless capability option but cannot. Any of you...
May 10th 09 09:58 PM
by jesmarie Go to last post
2 338
Driving me insane by nfef
I've been banging my head against a brick wall for the last 2 days trying to find a way around Vista's zero auto config that polls for a better wireless network every 60 seconds or so. This makes gaming impossible as everytime it does this I get a 1-2 second lag spike. I've spent hours reading threads and articles about this and no one seems to have a definite work around despite there being a...
May 10th 09 08:53 PM
by EDJO Go to last post
3 322
I Cannot connect to amy Microsoft Site or Log on to certain Bank Websites by kahmad
Hi, I reformatted my laptop and reinstalled Vista Business, SP1. I can surf the net and go on to websites like google and this one, but i cannot connect to any Microsoft site or log into MSN messenger and worst still cannot log into certain bank websites. When i do a tracert to microsoft.com, below is what i get
May 10th 09 03:55 PM
by kahmad Go to last post
2 320
Can't Share The Windows Vista C Drive - Why? by Dreanmachine
Folks, I have finally got my two Windows XP PCs and my new Windows Vista PC to network just fine. Sharing amongst the PCs is working well. However, there is one annoyance. I have set my Window Vista PC’s C Drive to advance sharing and it appears to accept this. However, when I attempt to access the C-drive share from my WXP machines, it states I don't have permission to bring it up,...
May 10th 09 02:54 PM
by Bob Lin \(MS-MVP\) Go to last post
4 333
Red "X" on network icon by Robert Aldwinckle
(cross-post added to Vista Networking) "Phil" wrote in message ... Hi, I posted this several months ago and still have not resolved my problem so I decided to try again. I connect to the Internet with dial up. When I'm connected my network icon in the task bar always has a red X on the icon. If I...
May 10th 09 02:50 PM
by Bob Lin \(MS-MVP\) Go to last post
1 286
sharring files and folders by Jim
Trying to use network to share files from windows 7 RC1 machine. I can connect to my machine that has windows vista home premium from win 7 ! When I try to connect from home premium to windows 7 RC1 I get: Logon unsuccessful Windows is unable to log you on. Be sure your user name and password are correct? I am using the correct...
May 10th 09 10:13 AM
by Jim Go to last post
2 287
HELP! Intermittent Internet Connection by Ross Clarke
For Christmas I got a new computer which I successfully connected to my home network. However, occasionally it does not connect. If I restart the computer and reset the router it works fine, but in a few days it crops up again. The technique I am using at the moment works fine, but gets a bit wearing. Is there a solution to this short of hibernating the computer instead of shutting it down (if...
May 9th 09 11:14 AM
by Kuczora[_5_] Go to last post
1 288
Network Magic by Frank Parmelee
Has anyone tried Network Magic by Linksys/Cisco and how do you like it? Pros & Cons Please. -- Make a Great Day Frank Parmelee USA
May 8th 09 07:53 PM
by Jack [MVP-Networking] Go to last post
1 271
Windows Vista Network Connection Problem by Tom
Alright. This issue is driving me crazy and I do not know how to fix it. My Desktop Windows Vista machine will not connect to the network. My router (Apple Airport Extreme) works fine and I can connect with my Macbook (macbook booting Vista) and my other Vista laptop. These connections are wireless. My desktop is wired to the router. My motherboard is an Asus Striker Extreme with two...
May 8th 09 03:30 PM
by FastTracker Go to last post
4 344
What networking protocols are superfluous? by Blithe[_2_]
Would my Vista performance improve by deleting un-needed protocols? OS Name Microsoft® Windows VistaT Ultimate Version 6.0.6001 Service Pack 1 Build 6001 System Model: Maximus Extreme (Asus) Hardware Abstraction Layer Version = "6.0.6001.18000" System Type: x64-based PC Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Extreme CPU Q6850 @ 3.00GHz, 2997 Mhz, 4 Core(s), 4 Logical Processor(s) BIOS...
May 8th 09 01:33 PM
by Blithe[_2_] Go to last post
3 269
users by Tiffany
Hi, I have added a few user accounts in PC for sharing purposes. But the users' name will also appear on my desktop screen. Is it possible for the desktop screen to show only the administrator name? If yes, how to do it. Kindly advise. Thank you very much
May 8th 09 11:51 AM
by Malke[_2_] Go to last post

From The