Threads in Forum : Networking with Windows Vista Forum Tools Search this Forum Feed Icon
Vista Remote Desktop disconnects after about 20 minutes by George
Hi I am connecting to a Vista desktop from a Windows XP 64 bit laptop. The RDP Client appears to be version 6. After a period of time (guessing 20 mins) the remote desktop connection disconnects. NB: A second RDP connection to a separate Windows XP SP3 computer does not. When I try to reconnect, I get the login screen, then when I try to login - the screen starts the login process, then...
April 27th 09 03:36 PM
by [email protected] Go to last post
3 357
Wireless connection lost by Seanb2113
I've been trying to figure out this problem for over a week now to no avail. It appears to be random, though I lose my connection every hour or so. Also, my connection seems to drop randomly at other times (It will still say im connected, though no data is transferred). The 2nd problem occurs much more frequently then the first. I will be browsing the web when all of a sudden I can't load...
April 27th 09 12:49 PM
by Bob Lin \(MS-MVP\) Go to last post
1 310
Help! Vista Cannot create dialup/VPN connections "The wizard cannot create the connection" by licensetokill007
I have a new Sony laptop that was having some problems, so I reformatted the drive and did a system restore. I took all the preinstalled junk off the computer, and then installed office 2007. When I went to create a VPN connection today I followed the standard process of clicking "Set up a connection or network," selected the VPN option and entered all the login info, etc. Regardless of whether...
(Multi-page thread 1 2)
April 27th 09 08:52 AM
by andyswarbs Go to last post
14 663
No internet connection for apps but ping OK by kori
Hello Everyone, I have a laptop with Vista64 on it. It worked fine until last week. I tried to set my home wireless lan then it lost its Internet connection. I couldn't have used ineternet since then but lan works well. I couldn't use total commander FTP, Live Messenger, Outlook, IExlorer or Opera, but I can ping everything is on the Internet. Nslookup works too. I tried to connect by wired...
April 27th 09 12:46 AM
by cakoala Go to last post
1 330
router for 64 bit by [email protected]
I just got Broadband internet yesterday. My computer has a built in wireless LAN a/b/g/n. iI also have a laptop with a builtin LAN. So, I bought a Netgear wireless router-N. I went to install the CD, and it only works on a 32 bit processor-Of course, I have a 64 bit processor. How can I get it to work?? Keep in mind, this is TOTALLY NEW to me!!!! Erin
April 26th 09 03:29 PM
by DL[_3_] Go to last post
2 301
Timeout uploading to ftp through network drives. by dbacs
I keep getting time outs when i upload to my website. I set my website folder as a mapped network drive, so now its accessible through Network window. I can download files from that folder with no timeouts, but uploading timeouts happen within 1:30 minutes. I have no problems uploading using FlashFXP. I would rather just be able to access and download using Vista's windows. FlashFXP is...
April 25th 09 10:33 PM
by dbacs Go to last post
0 323
Can' use a share by ofergal
I have a domain with few computers sharing files with each other no problems I added a laptop to the domain and I can do remote desktop with it but I can't use it shares or drives from other PCs on the domain. Even when I have the laptop's firewall off, when I try something like '\\laptop\c$' (file://\\laptop\c$) I get the error "The remote device or resource won't accept the connection" What...
April 25th 09 02:38 PM
by ofergal Go to last post
0 329
"Connect automatically" checkmark disappears from "Dial-up Connect by Dima
Hello! How to make a "Connect automatically" check mark stay in a "Dial-up Connection" window? The "Connect to:" field is "ADSL". The check mark disappears after a hibernation or restart. I have to check the "Connect automatically" and click "Connect" every time after a hibernation or restart to resume the internet connection. Regards Dima
(Multi-page thread 1 2 3)
April 24th 09 11:55 PM
by Curious[_5_] Go to last post
24 919
Which machine responds to a ping? by jim-g
Would you help straighten out my thinking on my LAN setup as to what device should respond to a ping plus what IP it would be providing? I was pinged by three machines in about 45 seconds last night in this configuration so I'm trying to figure out what is going on. My setup is: Motorola Cable Modem followed by a Netgear WRN2000 'n' router (firewall setup) then two machines with only one...
April 24th 09 06:34 PM
by Bill Kearney Go to last post
4 436
Member limitation for Vista Workgroup by chris
Hi I started my MCITP training. Our trainer told us, that there is a limit of maximum 25 Vista clients in a Vista workgroup. Is this correct? From my point of knowledge, there is only a limitation of 10 concurrent incomming connections. There is no limitation on the number of members in a workgroup. I know, a workgroup with above 20 clients for file- and printsharing makes no sence, but is...
April 24th 09 06:28 PM
by Bill Kearney Go to last post
4 284
How to Syncronize before closing VPN connection by Mats
Background: Vista Boxes with SP1: Domain joined Forrest and domain level:2003 Offline files beeing used with encryption. MS built in VPN client Smartcards are used for auth GPO Set to force users to syncronze their documents on logon and logoff (buisness requirement)
April 24th 09 09:11 AM
by Mats Go to last post
0 300
offline files - release space by mikebo
I am not sure if this is the right forum, but here goes: I have a desktop PC and a laptop, both connected to a network. In the past I used offline folders to synchronize files directly between my desktop and laptop, but due to recent virus threats, I can't do that anymore. So I copied all the files to a network share, then opened that folder on my laptop and instructed the laptop to "make...
April 23rd 09 04:57 PM
by Michael Walraven[_3_] Go to last post
1 262
dns suffix registration by Luis Falch Rojas
Hi OS: Windows Vista Ultimate fully updated. I setup a VPN Connection to a remote Network. I follow all procedures. (Connection procedure works fine in win2003 srv and win XP). When I connect the VPN works fine, but it disconect itself each 5 minutes. Then I realize that the connection doesn't save the "DNS Suffix Registration" (VPN Connection PRoperties -- Networking Tab -- TCP/IPv4...
April 23rd 09 03:58 PM
by Luis Falch Rojas Go to last post
0 309
Connect to not working by ldb
In Vista home premium, if I click on the Start/Connect to button, nothing happens. This appears to be a broken shortcut. Can this app be manually called up by an exe file? How could this broken shortcut be fixed? I am having trouble using the built in wireless NIC and an plug in wireless G card to connect to wifi. This computer is not connected to a router. Both NIC's appear with red...
April 23rd 09 01:10 PM
by ldb Go to last post
4 267
internet explorer not start up by Robert Aldwinckle
(cross-post added to Vista Networking) "Crissy Ho" Crissy and wrote in message ... I am using window vista ultimate edition and my internet explorer would not start up. There is nothing wrong with my network connection since the Apple safari web browser is working fine. That's not proof that you have connectivity for ...
April 23rd 09 04:02 AM
by Robert Aldwinckle Go to last post
0 237
dependency service or group failed to start by mimimargy/mirjana/mim
Hi This problem has been difficult to solve. I have called Belkin (router), NEC (Laptop computer), Trend-Micro(Internet security). Tried the Start CMD, Scannow. The result is " Windows found corrupt files but unable to fix some of them. Have gone into "Service" (local) and the NlaSvc file says " failed to read description. error code". ConfigurationManager says " A general error has occured. I...
April 23rd 09 03:04 AM
by mimimargy/mirjana/mim Go to last post
0 285
Unable to properly connect to a network by lelorien
Hello, I am trying to help a family member connect to our local network with her brand new dell laptop. I am familiar with XP and therefor have never really experienced vista in any way. When I go to the "Network" tab I get a little message telling me that I am not connected to any network, I then go in wireless networks and enter my routers settings, I press connect and everything seems fine....
April 23rd 09 12:35 AM
by lelorien Go to last post
0 234
remote desktop loses connection by remote
my apologies for not using the quote on my prior message of "Have a new laptop with vista home premium 64bit can not stay logged in to remote dektop at workplace running vista business (?32 or 64?) lose connection in 1 to 5 minutes" I tried to use the quote button nd it sid my message was to short I tried to add text and the quote button when pushed threw out a pop up that said message to short...
April 22nd 09 08:16 PM
by remote Go to last post
5 472
Adding Vista Ultimate to Active Directory Domain (Server 2003) by OSUBRYAN
I am attempting to add my new laptop to our domain. I can connect to the internet no problem, ping the server by IP address and DNS name. I keep receiving an error that states" The following error has occurred attempting to join the domain "Our Domain Name": The network path was not found. I have all neccessary permissions to add computers to the domain and I just added another XP Pro...
April 22nd 09 07:58 PM
by JackTinWNY Go to last post
2 352
Wireless Lan connected but no Internet by Frank
As an experienced computer user, i can't seem to figure out how to repare one of mine laptops. I got two identical laptops (Vista Ulit.) and are installed the same way, but on laptop A I can't get to the internet over wireless, where as laptop B doesn't have a problem with wireless. When I connect Laptop A to a wired LAN ethernet cable, internet is working normally, but when I unplug the...
April 22nd 09 07:49 PM
by Frank Go to last post

From The