Threads in Forum : Networking with Windows Vista Forum Tools Search this Forum Feed Icon
Can't Browse With Any Browser by Jack[_10_]
My Son's computer was working yesterday and this morning he can't surf using IE 8 or Firefox. It appears Port 80 is being blocked. I have disabled the firewall temporarily and this did not resolve the issue. I did the "netsh winsock reset" and this did not fix the problem. I have reset my router with no change. I am able to ping the DNS, the Default router and his IP address within the...
(Multi-page thread 1 2)
April 22nd 09 11:00 AM
by FYI[_2_] Go to last post
13 501
Help -- why is vista Networking is handled different than XP by Rhino[_2_]
Hello, I wonder if someone with greater knowledge than me can help me. Problem description: I have a vonage v-phone and a 3G mobile broadband connection using a usb stick provided by the provider. In windows XP my vonage v-phone starts up and detects the network connection. In vista after changing the v-phone software to runing in windows XP Sp2 mode and runing the application as...
April 22nd 09 01:43 AM
by Jack-MVP Go to last post
1 231
Vista home basic network by PA Bear [MS MVP]
] BG wrote: Im running two machines, both with vista home basic OS's - in Chinese. They can see each other through wireless router, but one cant go into others "c" drive. Access is denied. I need to be able to map drives freely and see each others drives, folders and files. Any assistance would be greatly
April 21st 09 07:05 PM
by Bob Lin \(MS-MVP\) Go to last post
1 270
How: Allow a vista home machine to access files stored on a 2003 A by charles
Hi, I know that Vista home can not join a 2003 AD domain. However, is there a way for me to allow a vista home machine (that is directly connected to the network) to access files that are being hosted on a 2003 machine? If yes, what do I do regarding the fact that the files are in a folder that has permissions set up that only some users have access to it. (I have an
April 21st 09 04:48 PM
by Malke[_2_] Go to last post
1 242
Suddenly cannot see other computers in my Workgroup and they can't see me by Rev. Michael L. Burns[_2_]
I have a home network that consists off an XP Desktop, a Vista Desktop, a XP Notebook and a Vista Tabletpc. They could all see and access each other with no problem. The Tabletpc and Notebook both are connected by wireless while the desktops are connected by Cat5. This morning I went to use the Tabletpc and it cannot see either of the other computers and they cannot see the Tabletpc.,...
(Multi-page thread 1 2)
April 21st 09 03:57 PM
by Michael Walraven[_3_] Go to last post
12 445
Vista Home Basic networking-mapping by BG
Im running two machines, both with vista home basic OS's - in Chinese. They can see each other through wireless router, but one cant go into others "c" drive. Access is denied. I need to be able to map drives freely and see each others drives, folders and files. Any assistance would be greatly appreciated. (I have even been able to map the drives, but cant get into them), though have been...
April 21st 09 11:22 AM
by Malke[_2_] Go to last post
1 242
What are the defaults for mc extenders by danimalhanke
I have Vista Prem, my 360 can connect to my pc and my 360 shows in the network window on the pc. but I can't ping the 360 and MC keeps giving a generic error message (nothing specific just error) after I enter the 8 digit code from the 360. It's my understanding the 8 digit code is only generated AFTER the 360 connects to the MC pc. Yes I've opened all the ports listed on the 360, the xbox and...
April 21st 09 04:16 AM
by danimalhanke Go to last post
0 232
Hey guys new and I need help. by ill18
Alright well guys i just got a computer and its a 64bit os and its pretty new. I go to youtube on my 64bit Internet Explorer and it says i need to get the lastest flash drive so i got to abobe and it says they cant do it or something. can someone help me plz -- ill18
April 21st 09 03:49 AM
by xtreemneo Go to last post
3 237
Auto share removable hard drive by Bill Volz
Everytime I plugin my portable hard drive I need to create a new share and set the permissions. Is there anyway to have vista remember the share so everytime I mount the drive it sets this automatically.
April 21st 09 01:51 AM
by 3f032 Go to last post
4 275
Logon unsuccessful: windows is unable to log you on by Saiidin
Systems: Desktop (Vista Home Premium x64) Hard line to router Laptop (Vista Home Premium x32) Wireless connection to router Here's the problem. Long ago, I managed to get it set up so I could log in to my desktop from my laptop and pull files I needed for the day to the hard drive. This still works just fine, 100% no problems!
April 20th 09 11:41 PM
by Saiidin Go to last post
1 221
Slow Performance when working Online with Offline files enabled by gburnett
We have Vista Business Laptops with Offline files enabled that sync with a 2003 server. About 12Gb of data is available offline. Performance Offline is fine. Performance when working online is very slow with continuous high level of HDD Activity and High number of Hard Page faults/sec (350 approx) Laptops are Core 2 Duo with 2Gb RAM. When the online status is changed in windows explorer from...
April 20th 09 08:49 PM
by sigma415 Go to last post
3 226
Network Issue Accessing Drives on One Machine by Avatar13
I have a home network of 3 machines and 1 laptop. 2 Vista Ultimate64, 1 Home Premium32 & 1 XP Pro all with the latest updates and service packs. On one of the Vista64 machines I have just done a fresh install and want to share 2 of the 4 hard drives for files access. I've enabled file sharing like I've done on the other machines and given permissions so the "Everyone" can have full access to all...
April 20th 09 06:26 PM
by Avatar13 Go to last post
0 190
Vista Home Premium SP1 x 2 Computers by BrendaInBC
My desktop and laptop are both running windows Vista Home Premium SP1. My desktop can see and access my laptop on the network...my laptop cannot see my desktop on the network. I CAN access it through the start menu...but...not through the network menu. I've been trying for days to figure this out...and I've reached the end of my rope...any help would be great! Thanks! Brenda
April 20th 09 04:50 PM
by Chuck [MVP] Go to last post
8 281
Vista Business 64 does not allow login by B Peabody
Recently-built engineering workstation running 64-bit Vista Business is on peer network -- no server nor domain. As of last Friday, began exhibiting funky behavior and could not get past login: a) Login screen showed two users - one correct, w/ no password, and one named "user" with unknown password. b) Selecting correct user (and no password) showed wait state mouse icon for a few seconds,...
April 20th 09 02:46 PM
by B Peabody Go to last post
4 200
Remote Desktop by ACC
I need to be able to connect to my Vista Home Premium pc from my office, preferably by remote desktop, but I cannot find any way to allow this. In network sharing - remote (etc) there is no option to allow RDC, and in windows firewall RDC is not listed in the exceptions. My router is configured to allow port 3389, so this is a Vista HP limitation. Does anyone know how I can solve this?
April 20th 09 12:17 PM
by Zaphod Beeblebrox Go to last post
7 354
Please help with odd connection issue. by TheFatZebra
Dear All, I have a problem connecting to certain websites and services I cannot use, and I cannot find a way to solve it. I am running Vista SP 1 on an HP dv1110. Have Avast antivirus and use the windows firewall. The problem I have is the following:
April 20th 09 02:17 AM
by Jack-MVP Go to last post
1 233
Unidentifed Network - Limited Connectivity by Jordeo
Well basically last night my internet was running fine and when i woke up to turn it on i got Unidentifed Network - Limited Connectivity, I'm using my laptop's connection which is the same connection way as the other computer so i'm guessing there is somthing wrong with the desktop, any help or ideas? thanks. -- Jordeo
(Multi-page thread 1 2)
April 19th 09 07:14 PM
by annwat Go to last post
13 428
Influence automatic interface metrics assignment by Benjamin Kalytta
Hello everyone, is there a way to influence the automatic metrics algorithm (interfaces and per IP) in some way? Influence in the sense of manipulate. This problem also covers following posts: "multiple NICs; automatic metrics" "Two NICs with identical gateway metric"
April 19th 09 10:43 AM
by Benjamin Kalytta Go to last post
6 358
Networking Issue by John Harris[_2_]
I have recently (the last week) had a number (5) of Vista PC's (mostly Home Editions but two Business) turn up with network issues. The issues are that they seem to lose their Internet connectivity. When I get to them they are all using DHCP but have ended up with an APIPA address. When I run the Repair and Configure wizard the issue remains. I have tried: 1. Running the wizard 2. netsh...
April 19th 09 07:27 AM
by John Harris[_2_] Go to last post
2 244
wireless connection won't resume after sleep by MasterPlanz
Dell E1505 laptop Router firmware upgraded All drivers most up-to-date versions Vista completely up-to-date The computer has "limited only connection" after resuming from sleep, and either won't reconnect at all, or else takes a very long time to reconnect (15-20 min.) I am aware this is a common problem and I would like to know if there is a
April 19th 09 01:18 AM
by Jack [MVP-Networking] Go to last post

From The