Threads in Forum : Networking with Windows Vista Forum Tools Search this Forum Feed Icon
Remote Desktop by ACC
I need to be able to connect to my Vista Home Premium pc from my office, preferably by remote desktop, but I cannot find any way to allow this. In network sharing - remote (etc) there is no option to allow RDC, and in windows firewall RDC is not listed in the exceptions. My router is configured to allow port 3389, so this is a Vista HP limitation. Does anyone know how I can solve this?
April 20th 09 12:17 PM
by Zaphod Beeblebrox Go to last post
7 354
Cannot get Mirra Personal Server and Vista to work by Ace
I have Windows Vista Ultimate connected to a Mirra personal server through a DLink router. The router can identify the server but Mirra cannot find the computer. Vista blocks the start up process and I have to "allow" it to load but it still keeps searching for the Mirra server. Says " a personal server has not been detected" and it keeps searching and searching. Does anyone have any ideas...
August 12th 07 02:33 AM
by Ace Go to last post
0 157
Dual boot W2000/Vista x64 with Vista internet connection problem by acegap
I have a dual boot computer W2000 on C drive, Vista x64 Home Basic on D drive connecting to the internet using a router. Everything been OK for months. Now that Vista drivers are more available I thought I would install the software for a usb modem I have lying around in case I ever need a quick backup connection if the router ceased to function. Everything went OK. Usb modem works...
September 10th 07 11:38 AM
by acegap Go to last post
1 189
I am trying to create a Domain Controller by AceII
I have been assigned by my Professor in a University I am attending to use Vista to create an Active Directory just like Windows 2003. This is only because I am a tester of and have a beta copy of Vista instead of a copy of Windows 2003 server. I am supposed to attempt to do everything that Window 2003 server is capable of, but the problem si that there is no program called dcpromo in...
September 28th 06 08:49 PM
by AJR Go to last post
2 678
I am trying to create a Domain Controller by AceII
I have been assigned by my Professor in a University I am attending to use Vista to create an Active Directory just like Windows 2003. This is only because I am a tester of and have a beta copy of Vista instead of a copy of Windows 2003 server. My question is there a program like dcpromo.exe in Vista? If so do you have instructions how to create an active directory using Vista? I am...
September 28th 06 05:35 AM
by AceII Go to last post
0 625
Bluetooth Connection between a Palm and a PC by acerswap
Windows Vista RC1 has changed Bluetooth services administration from BT icon on the taskbar, so I can't connect my palm to my pc using a direct cable link network. I want to share my DSL internet connection to my palm. In windows XP SP2, it was an option for Bluetooth configuration, selecting the Local Services tab and then the Access to Network (don't know if it was "Access to network" or...
November 3rd 06 10:00 AM
by acerswap Go to last post
0 212
Bluetooth Internet sharing for Palm by acerswap
I want to share my internet connection using bluetooth as a "null modem", but I can't find how. Bluetooth options have changed after XP SP2 and "direct cable link" is not longer available. Do you have any solution for this?
October 28th 06 08:19 AM
by acerswap Go to last post
2 327
Network XP Pro to Vista Home by achiomo
I'm setting up a computer for my house and wanted to transfer files from my XP laptop to the vista desktop. I tried crossover cable and router, but cannot completely setup the network between the two computers. I've tried with firewalls on and off, and the laptop does NOT have norton (on the gazillion forums I've read, norton is a problem.) The workgroups are the same (I changed them...
February 28th 08 02:40 PM
by venturen Go to last post
7 298
Random HTTP disconnection by aconcernedcitizen
I know that issues similar to this have been brought up a few times, but none with a satisfactory answer in my case. Using VIsta Home Premium, I find that often, entirely at random, Vista refuses to make new HTTP connections. TCP/IP is fine, I can ping whatever i like, or ping my PC from another computer. Any connection s already open (skype conversations, torrents, downloads) are...
December 8th 07 04:52 PM
by aconcernedcitizen Go to last post
2 153
Using embedded Verizon mobile broadband by AcreFoot
I was able to activate and use my embedded Verizon mobile broadband. It worked only once after that and then I started receiving the error message "You don't have sufficient privileges to connect to the network" (verbatim) I have spent around three hours on the phone with Dell tech support and with Verizon tech support and they have been unable to resolve this. I believe this is a Vista...
December 24th 09 10:16 AM
by thatinen Go to last post
2 380
Only Local by Aczel
I have a very iritating problem, sometimes while iam on the internet with my Vista, my internet connection stops working and it stands that i onlcan access the local network. There is nothing wrong with thenetwork, cause when my computer is shut down it runs smoothly. I am using a wirelsess network.
September 13th 07 02:44 PM
by Robert L [MVP - Networking] Go to last post
1 222
Wireless Network not connected - but it is?!! by Adam
Hi, I have been using Vista for some time now, and I connect to the internet via a wireless router, which, up until today, has worked fine. However, my Media Sharing has stopped working (I stream music to an xbox via Windows Media Player) and when I go to look at the Media Sharing settings, it tells me that "sharing is disabled as the computer is not connected to a network".
August 31st 09 04:27 AM
by alexdagr8est Go to last post
9 309
XBOX 360 - "Extender set up but not available" after reboot. by Adam
I have my XBOX360 connected to my PC via an ethernet cable. The PC is then connected via USB to my cable modem. I have set up ICS, the XBOX360 extender in Media Centre and static IP addresses on the XBOX360. Everything works fine (XBOX live, PC connection to the XBOX and internet access) until I reboot. Then I have the internet and XBOX live but no connection to the PC from the XBOX. On...
July 10th 08 01:54 PM
by Adam Go to last post
0 276
WLAN service by Adam
This is a simple suggestion that would fix so many problems for many users. I know allot of people who are frustrated, even so much as to dual boot because of this. The problem is WLAN service checks for new wireless connections every 60 seconds. This is alright, except when you already have a connection it continues to do so which causes massive lag once every 60 seconds during online games...
January 10th 08 04:46 AM
by Adam Go to last post
0 197
Vista Dropping Internet Connectivity / DNS by ADAM
I've had a few frustrating weeks with my Vista Ultimate Machine... Here's what's happening, and hopefully someone may have a suggestion to get me up and running. After booting up, the computer has no issues connecting to the internet. After about 30 minutes, I'll get "page not found" error messages on every page I try to access on the computer. I have 3 other computers in the house...
June 21st 07 11:55 PM
by Robert L [MVP - Networking] Go to last post
3 256
VPN connection prompt by Adam
Hello, I have a laptop running Vista Ultimate. When I'm at home, I connect to my home network via wi-fi, but when I'm out and about, I connect via a VPN over either someone else's wi-fi, or GPRS/3G. The problem I have is that occationally, when I'm browsing the web at home, my VPN connection prompt window automatically pops up. It shouldn't because I'm already connected to my network and...
March 22nd 07 08:07 PM
by Adam Go to last post
0 173
Help! Can't get online! by Adam C
Sorry if there's an answer to this question elsewhere, I've not been able to find it. If there is, could someone kindly point me to it? Thanks! If not, here's my dilemma: I am trying to connect to the internet via a local area connection in my hotel room (in Chiang Mai, Thailand). I am connected via an ethernet cable and the network and sharing center shows that my computer is connected to a...
August 13th 07 05:46 PM
by Robert L [MVP - Networking] Go to last post
1 176
Cannot Ping Subdomain by Adam Simmonds (SimAda00)
Right, hello Just installed vista and joined it to my domain. No problems everything is working. But i cannot connect to some pc's referenced by domain names. I also cannot ping them. E.g PING SQL.services = Host not found PING SQL.Services.domain name = Found and ping. NSlookup on both addresses returns the correct ip. So any ideas would be
February 13th 07 11:00 AM
by Adam Simmonds (SimAda00) Go to last post
0 216
Can't see my XP Pro laptop from my Vista Home Premuim PC by AdamBC
I have tried in several discussion groups/forums but still have no answer ... I have a Belkin router with a wired Vista Home Premium PC and a wired/wireless XP Pro laptop - they are both in the same workgroup (checked and checked!) ... I can connect to the Internet from both machines perfectly ... I can see the Vista PC from the XP laptop and (having changed Vista PC folder permissions) I can...
December 2nd 07 02:41 PM
by Chuck [MVP] Go to last post
4 189
Accessing Remote Device Manager by [email protected]
Hello, I'm trying to access the device manager remotely on a windows Vista computer. I open compmgmt.msc from another computer an I can see everything (services, local users, event log) but whenever I click on the device manager I get "Access is Denied". been searching for two days but cannot find any additional settings I need to try. I'm running this as the AD administrator user, so I'm a...
September 4th 08 04:50 PM
by eisenpony Go to last post

From The