Threads in Forum : Networking with Windows Vista Forum Tools Search this Forum Feed Icon
Can't open Network and Sharing Center by mjMQ
For as long as I've had my new pc with 32-bit Vista I've had problems with the Network and Sharing Center. The problem never bothered me enough to really do too much about it but now, after a year of it I'm fed up and trying to fix it. So the problem is that I cannot open up the Network and Sharing Center properly. I click it, it takes about 5 minutes for the folder that pops up to be...
April 18th 09 06:52 PM
by rgh001 Go to last post
6 278
Wireless not detecting wifi by ldb
I am using a windows Vista 32 bit home premium notebook computer for which the wireless network detection has stopped working. I updated the driver for the built in wireless card with out any results. I also tried a plug in wireless card which windows detected and said was working properly and this did not work either. This leaves me to believe that something is wrong with the OS. I can get on...
April 17th 09 06:26 PM
by ldb Go to last post
5 304
Vista local access, no internet by Michel
Hi, I installed Vista Business on a new computer (Asus P2) and it keeps loosing the internet connection intermittently. Local access always works. In the network are 3 computers, 2 Vista desktops, 1 XP Home which acts as a file and printer server and a Draytek router behind a cable modem. The 2 Vista PC's are new and both have the same problem. When the XP machine was the desktop PC this...
April 17th 09 01:01 PM
by Michel Go to last post
6 284
UNIX like operating systems - a free root account by [email protected]
To learn, a free root account, is a tool. It may not be a bad idea to avail of the free root access I provide. Via such free account, hardware issues, device drivers, system performance, internet architecture, browsers such as lynx, and applications on a UNIX like operating system, may, be delved into. Issues in, Vista, networking, mainframe, animation, etc, may be, via appropriate use of a free...
April 17th 09 12:07 PM
by Malke[_2_] Go to last post
1 290
Is someone able to explain ??? by Peter F
Hi All, I have just installed a piece of software which allows me to control my home PC from just about anywhere in the world ultraVNC. Although i have successfully managed to connect to the machine via Internet Explorer in my own house using a laptop to connect to my home PC could someone explain to me how would it work if i was in another town etc... What i mean to say is how does it know...
April 17th 09 12:07 PM
by Malke[_2_] Go to last post
9 316
Mapped Network Drives not connecting over VPN by Don Devenney
I have a rather perplexing issue involving a Vista machine trying to map a network drive over a VPN. First, the environment: I have a W2K3 R2 domain - servers fully patched, etc, and all XP SP3 clients. We use Dfs to replicate files between our branch offices and have been doing so for almost 2 years. It's stable and working well. I have a few road warriors who connect back into the...
April 17th 09 05:05 AM
by Cyno Go to last post
5 256
xp and vista networking problem by ranga_surf
ive got 2 computer networked through a hub to the internet. vista can access everything on xp, but doesnt know where to place it on the map. xp can see vista, can see its files but cant access them ive mcafee on both with both firewalls allowing each other connection. now when i go to a folder in vista to share it, and go into 'advanced share option' in goes "the program will not run, parameter...
April 17th 09 04:22 AM
by haunt Go to last post
1 233
WPA on Vista not WPA Enterprise by 99XJ
I've narrowed my problem down to this: I have the D-Link DIR-625-C router set to "WPA Personal" - "WPA Only", My laptop with XP and a Linksys adaptor prompt for a passphrase as should be, (and my iPod-Touch) but my sons PC has Vista installed and a D-Link USB adaptor, It prompts for "additional credentials" and the log on screen as used for "WPA2 Enterprise" (see this link, scroll down...
April 16th 09 10:27 PM
by 99XJ Go to last post
2 348
Network adapters failed to support NDISReadNetworkAddress function by [email protected]
Many new network adapters on VISTA fail to support NDISReadNetworkAddress function. This is the function that allows software configurable MAC Address. Although the network adapters received "Certified for Windows VISTA" logo, they fail to support this function. Based on my understanding from Microsoft website, network adapters are required to support NDIS 6.0 for Windows VISTA, and NDIS 5.1...
April 16th 09 04:15 PM
by Andrew McLaren[_2_] Go to last post
4 466
Wireless problem on Vista by 99XJ
I'm re-posting this because it is only visible online at the MS website, not on NewsReaders so.... (I'll try again)... I just installed a D-Link DIR-625 router, before, we had a Linksys router with no issues whatsoever. (This is in secure WPA mode, there is no problem in "unsecure" mode) My sons PC has Vista installed. He has a D-Link wireless usb adaptor. Before, with the Linksys router,...
April 16th 09 01:22 PM
by Frankster Go to last post
6 311
Problems getting local wireless to coexist with dial-up internet by The Beerslayer
I have a laptop running Vista 32-bit (SP1). I have a small wireless network at home, to which I have attached a print server. I use dial-up as my primary Internet connection. I've found that I cannot use both connections at the same time. If I am connected to the Internet over the dial-up connection, any attempts to turn on my wireless capability and connect to my internal network (so...
April 16th 09 11:07 AM
by Noel Paton[_2_] Go to last post
3 243
the big game shop will coming today are you ready? by dongking1234
more information please kick 'www.bottors.com' (http://www.bottors.com) :sleepy: :party::party: -- dongking1234
April 16th 09 09:55 AM
by dongking1234 Go to last post
0 178
Internet access for second computer on home network by James Bauer
I have two computers, one running XP and one Vista. They were linked by a simple wired home network using a switch. Internet was accessed via dial-up on the Vista machine. I changed to cable (broadband), still on only the Vista machine and leaving the wired network intact. Next step was to install a Linksys wireless router WRT54G2 V1 and run the broadband connection through it.
April 16th 09 07:27 AM
by Noel Paton[_2_] Go to last post
2 192
VPN and Remote desktop connection problems by buddy[_2_]
I have a new Lenovo with Vista for business OS (that replaces my old thinkpad on XP). At my office, I am able to use remote desktop connection to remotely operate my work pc (a VISTA business OS) - by attaching to the work network by wire. However, at home I use the VPN to connect to the work network. THe VPN connects just fine but the RDC comes up with the error message "This computer can't...
April 16th 09 03:57 AM
by cruzinvista Go to last post
5 212
Network Icon is not working by Facecon
my nerwork icon on the desktop is not working, even im online it still showing a red X. when i click it is says "the service to detect this status is turn off." then it asks me "do you want to turn on network list service.", when i click turn on, nothing happend the problem still here, does anyone can help? thanks -- Facecon
April 16th 09 02:12 AM
by Brink Go to last post
8 283
Changing network settings to support wep in a complex situation by Bungled
okay so, i have a router that has cable internet directly fed to it, and i have my main pc connected via network cable, because my main pc does not have a wireless card...i live in an apartment and have noticed other tenents accessing the MY internet connection wirelessly through my router... i would just remove the antenna's, but i also use the wireless internet on my other pcs throughout the...
April 16th 09 12:20 AM
by Malke[_2_] Go to last post
1 190
Influence automatic interface metrics assignment by xmaster
Hello everyone, is there a way to influence the automatic metrics algorithm (interfaces and per IP) in some way? Influence in the sense of manipulate. This problem also covers following posts: "multiple NICs; automatic metrics" "Two NICs with identical gateway metric"
April 15th 09 11:24 PM
by xmaster Go to last post
0 197
Folder Redirection by Jeff
On all Windows Vista Ultimate OS on a 2K3 Domain... Using Group Policy/Folder Redirection... Using Roaming Profiles... Files are not automatically updated from a Vista machine to the file server, I can manually sync the files in "Sync Center"; XP has no issues. Example of the issue is a domain user logs on and saves a Word file to their desktop which is redirected to a file share on a 2K3...
April 15th 09 10:33 PM
by Jeff Go to last post
0 196
Vista & Networking Problems by Frank Parmelee
We have four computers One desktop and three notebooks. The desktop and two notebooks use XP Home Service Pack 3, the other notebook is two weeks old and has Vista Home Basic installed SP1. The desktop has a NIC and is connected to a Linksys WRT54GS wireless router connected to a Speed Stream 4100 DSL modem. All three XP machines have no networking problems - only the Acer Aspire 5515 with...
April 15th 09 03:34 PM
by Michel Go to last post
6 611
Help please - Public folder file sharing by Justin Thompson
Hi, Hope you can help. Two machines on my network, Mine is Vista 64 and my wifes is Vista 32. My wife machine has Network descovery on File sharing on (does NOT say a password is required) Public folder sharing on (anyone with network access can open, change
(Multi-page thread 1 2)
April 15th 09 02:02 PM
by Chuck [MVP] Go to last post

From The