Threads in Forum : Networking with Windows Vista Forum Tools Search this Forum Feed Icon
Access other conputer on network by jerry
Hi, I recently contact my ISP following Internet intermittent disconnection. They come and changed the Modem which now has a router in it. Prior set-up was an older generation of Modem and I had added a Dlink router when I purchased a laptop and wanted to access shared folder via the network. On the network & sharing windo I see both computer when when I try to access one another I received a...
March 19th 10 08:05 PM
by Jack [MVP-Networking] Go to last post
2 678
Help: What is the administrator password? What if I've never set i by john ha[_3_]
I have heard of the "administrator password" for a super-administrator. But I have never "set" the "administrator password" or "super admin password". I do, however, have a user account with admin privileges that I set a password to. Is that the same thing? Does my creating a user account with admin privileges and password make the password for the super-admin the same, or
March 19th 10 04:51 PM
by john ha[_3_] Go to last post
0 400
Access other conputer on network by jerry
Hi, I recently contact my ISP following Internet intermittent disconnection. They come and changed the Modem which now has a router in it. Prior set-up was an older generation of Modem and I had added a Dlink router when I purchased a laptop and wanted to access shared folder via the network. On the network & sharing windo I see both computer when when I try to access one another I received a...
March 19th 10 04:23 PM
by jerry Go to last post
0 373
Win 7 WPAD stops working by Jeff Vandervoort
I use my Win 7 notebook on an office network with a proxy during the day, and on my home network w/o proxy at night. Used to be that WPAD configured the proxy settings for me, but it stopped working a week or two ago; don't recall when. I have to manually turn on "Use a proxy server" at the office and turn it off again at home. "Automatically detect settings" is turned on. Any idea how I can...
March 19th 10 12:17 AM
by Jeff Vandervoort Go to last post
0 495
Security tab error by Ken W
There are certain files on our network that whenever I attempt to look at the security tab, the following error comes up (preceded by a red X) "The requested security information is either unavailable or can't be displayed." I'm the creator, and I can open, edit, and save the file, however, no one else can. What causes this and how can it fixed and avoided?
March 16th 10 07:59 PM
by Ken W Go to last post
0 399
Security tab error by Ken W
There are certain files on our network that whenever I attempt to look at the security tab, the following error comes up (preceded by a red X) "The requested security information is either unavailable or can't be displayed." I'm the creator, and I can open, edit, and save the file, however, no one else can. What causes this and how can it fixed and avoided?
March 16th 10 07:59 PM
by Ken W Go to last post
0 518
Multiple networks detected in Network and Sharing Center by smendiola74
My internet connection is thwarted when Vista detects Multiple Networks in the Network and Sharing Center. I want to select the "unidentified network" and delete it but there is no option to do this. The ISP is no help. Anyone run across this problem? ENVIRONMENT: Broadband connection direct from the modem. Not using wireless. Only one internet connection. Not on a network. Have not updated...
(Multi-page thread 1 2)
March 16th 10 02:20 AM
by galekian Go to last post
11 1,049
Can not save a wireless profile in Vista by Stan Petelinz
I can manually connect to a wireless AP in Vista without issue as log as the system see's the AP, however when I try to save the profile or create a connection profile manually in the UI for Managing Wireless Networks I receive a message window stating "Access Denied". No profiles are shown in the wireless management for automatic connections. The user profile on the system is setup as the...
March 16th 10 01:38 AM
by lancemannion Go to last post
2 584
Remote Desktop problems - one laptop works the other doesn't by Jason[_20_]
This is strange. I have two nearly identical HP laptops. Both are the same model, but one (that gives trouble) has some additional hardware (video) features. Both are running Vista Home Premium 64 and have all the updates applied. I am trying to open a RD session on an XP Home Pro machine. One of the HP's works without a hitch. The other one gives up with a "Cannot Connect" message (but,...
March 16th 10 12:39 AM
by Jason[_20_] Go to last post
0 362
access denied on vista Document folder from xp pro laptop by michaelsurles
I have a similar problem as that of Duke of URL. I have the same workgroup name for my vista desktop and my xp laptop and when I try to share my vista Documents folder to the xp, I get an access denied error message when trying to open the vista folder from the xp pro. it will not allow me to add a username from the xp pro to share when selecting Share options, only users on the vista. It...
(Multi-page thread 1 2)
March 13th 10 09:18 PM
by michaelsurles Go to last post
10 849
Help with Remote Assistance by Blue Max
We seriously need help making a Remote Assistance connection. We have some senior family members who really need our constant assistance, but we cannot connect. Here is a little background: FIRST, the connection is being made over the internet, with an invitation and password, not within a local network. SECOND, we can successfully make a Remote Desktop connection to each of the computers...
March 12th 10 05:07 PM
by Blue Max Go to last post
0 393
Lost Network Connection by Wolf Pack
I am working on a friend's Dell Optiplex 330 running Vista SP2. The Broadcom Gigabit Controller is showing enabled and functional in Device Manager but does not show in Network Connections. IPCONFIG /all shows the hardware connection with specific DNS entries. How do I get the connection to show in Network Connections so I can change the configuration to automatically assign IP/DNS?
March 11th 10 08:16 PM
by Jack [MVP-Networking] Go to last post
3 534
networkshare foreign folder shows as "my documents" ???? by Schellhaas
Hello, i have kind of a weird behaviour here, seems connected to windows 7, maybe vista too: we have a EMC Celerra fileserver for our Homes (shouldnt make a difference) : all userhomes are on one share, users may only write to their homes, and are not allowed to view the contents of the share, only their own subfolder. now a user put his "my documents" directly into his home. I, and a...
March 11th 10 01:24 PM
by mrjoesaunders Go to last post
2 521
access denied on vista Document folder from xp pro laptop by michaelsurles
I have a similar problem as that of Duke of URL. I have the same workgroup name for my vista desktop and my xp laptop and when I try to share my vista Documents folder to the xp, I get an access denied error message when trying to open the vista folder from the xp pro. it will not allow me to add a username from the xp pro to share when selecting Share options, only users on the vista. It...
March 10th 10 11:39 PM
by michaelsurles Go to last post
0 310
Connecting to a Domain by Mr.Slaton
I have put windows vista on 2 older toshiba laptops but it will not let me connect to my classroom domain. It brings up the error 'A domain controller for the domain EAST could not be contacted.' I already have connected 1 dell laptop to the same domain previously. I am at a loss for what to do. Thanks
March 10th 10 07:35 PM
by Jack [MVP-Networking] Go to last post
4 529
Connecting to a Domain by Mr.Slaton
I have put windows vista on 2 older toshiba laptops but it will not let me connect to my classroom domain. It brings up the error 'A domain controller for the domain EAST could not be contacted.' I already have connected 1 dell laptop to the same domain previously. I am at a loss for what to do. Thanks
March 10th 10 05:24 PM
by Mr.Slaton Go to last post
0 380
Determining the presence of wireshark by Karthik Balaguru
Hi, How to determine the presence of wireshark in a network ? Are there any specific packet types exchanged while it is present in the network so that it can be used to determine its presence in the network . Any tool to identify its presence in either Windows or Linux ? Any ideas ? Thx in advans, Karthik Balaguru
March 9th 10 04:27 PM
by Karthik Balaguru Go to last post
0 370
Uninstall/reinstall modem components by largo1083
I Think I have a ros corruption in my software. How do I uninstall and reinstall my modem components
March 9th 10 02:52 AM
by Jack [MVP-Networking] Go to last post
2 550
Uninstall/reinstall modem components by largo1083
I Think I have a ros corruption in my software. How do I uninstall and reinstall my modem components
March 8th 10 10:54 PM
by largo1083 Go to last post
0 380
XP does not see Windows 7 by Z.K.
I am trying to use my Windows 7 on my home network and I am having some trouble. I have two XP machines, one is professional and the other is home and I am using Windows 7 Professional. I shared a folder in Windows 7, but in XP Professional, in My Network Places, it does not even see the Windows 7 machine though I can ping the ip address. In Windows 7, I can see my XP Professional machine,...
March 7th 10 10:28 AM
by Z.K. Go to last post

From The