Threads in Forum : Networking with Windows Vista Forum Tools Search this Forum Feed Icon
Common Vista Problem - Network printing by John Monahan
No wonder people are frustrated going to Vista from XP! Here is my latest issue:- I want to run a few printers from my Windows Home Server (WHS). As a typical example I loaded on to WHS the latest HP WHS driver for a HP 4050T LaserJet printer. Its their newest "Universal driver" whatever that actually means. Anyway I can print from the WHS computer immediately and perfectly fine. Likewise...
October 30th 08 09:43 PM
by DDW[_3_] Go to last post
4 388
What is loopback pseudo-interface? by Squa190
Well I've done some limited searching on the net and I only get instances of people using the term when defining some network problem. I couldn't find a description of exactly what is is? Anyone? -- Squa190
October 30th 08 08:14 PM
by John Thompson Go to last post
1 353
Connecting via RDP to my XP Pro machine from Vista Home Premium by Erich93063
I just purchased a new laptop and it came with Vista Home Premium. One of the things I need to do is connect to my XP Pro machine I have at home. I have always been able to connect to my XP Pro machine from anywhere with no problem. I have had this setup for years and access my home computer all the time from work or from friends houses via IP Address. I actually use a dynamic IP address domain...
October 30th 08 08:02 PM
by No Name Go to last post
2 337
cannot access Vista shares from non-MS OS by jakeytheavatar
I have shared folders on computers running Vista Ultimate x64, XP Pro, and Ubuntu Until yesterday, all computers on my network could access all shared files on all other computers. After security updates yesterday: Shares on Vista cannot be accessed by computers running Ubuntu. Shares on Ubuntu cannot be accessed by computers running Vista. XP Pro still has access to all, and all have access...
October 30th 08 02:14 PM
by jakeytheavatar Go to last post
0 331
Network locations not populating correctly (Sharepoint 2007) by Gravelrash
Hi, I had search on the forums but can't find an answer to my problem. When adding a new network location if I enter a server name i.e. \\SERVER it will show the shares below this server so I can drill down to the folder I require. With sharepoint I use a host header on the Sharepoint IIS server and DNS to resolve to this host header. When entering the host header into network locations i.e....
October 30th 08 09:00 AM
by Gravelrash Go to last post
1 336
Simple Vista-XP network problem by bobc
This is about as simple a network problem as you can imagine. I just bought a new Compaq with Vista home, and I'd like to connect this new machine to my old Compaq, which has Windows XP (svc pack 2). I have a crossover Ethernet cable connecting the two PCs, and have run the configuration wizards on both machines. On the old XP PC, I am seeing the name of the new PC in the workgroups window...
October 30th 08 02:02 AM
by Timothy Daniels[_5_] Go to last post
4 332
Network Vista and XP Pro by mrhotdog
hey i have recently purchased a wireless modem/router etc. i can get the internet fine on both my pc and laptop. but how do i configure it so i can access files from one computer if im on the other. thanks in advance
October 30th 08 01:55 AM
by Timothy Daniels[_5_] Go to last post
3 419
Slow internet speed with Vista by Arsu
I have a fairly new Acer Windows Vista Laptop that seemed to be dissconecting from the internet ever few minutes which I realized was because of two internet managers that were running (the windows client and an Acer Enet Management client) so I disabled the Acer one and the problem has stopped however I've noticed my internet speed while using wifi has become very unbareably slow although...
October 29th 08 08:53 PM
by Arsu Go to last post
0 313
Alternate DNS servers under Vista SP1 by No Name
I don't have a home network, but this is the newsgroup I found that seems most related to my problem. My ISP's DNS server network is somewhat unreliable; when they make an incorrect type of change on their master DNS server, it seems to crash all their regional DNS servers at the same time, usually for several hours at a time. How can I tell Vista SP1 to add some other DNS server not under...
October 29th 08 08:42 PM
by No Name Go to last post
5 379
Creating an Ad-Hoc Network? [REPOST] by Nigel Molesworth
I know this has been asked before, but I can't find a solution. I want to set up an ad-hoc wireless network on my online PC so I can share its wired Internet connection. The set up proceeds for a while, then I get an error message "Windows could not set up name of network". I've tried different security details, I get the same message. Note that I am trying to set up the network on the...
October 29th 08 04:39 PM
by Nigel Molesworth Go to last post
0 302
LEAP authentication protocol by solepi
does anyone has an update about the support of LEAP authentication in VISTA? -- solepi Posted via http://www.vistaheads.com
October 29th 08 03:44 PM
by solepi Go to last post
0 337
Vista cannot access web and ping true IP but can internal access by Po
Recently, I have a new compact desktop that running Vista Home Basic and it can access Windows 2003 server and Internet at head office. But it cannot access to the web page and Win2003 server when it had been relocated to another office.It shown "cannot found the host / web page". I cannot ping to any true IP except the true IP of ther router but it can updated the antivirus definition via...
October 29th 08 12:23 PM
by Robert L. \(MS-MVP\)[_1189_] Go to last post
4 299
Internet trouble by Systematic88
I am having problems with my internet. Sometimes is works fine, but other times it doesn't work at all. For example, I will be on youtube watching a video and it will load at a normal rate, then I go to another video and it basically doesn't load at all. Another thing that happens is when I'm downloading something, it will start out working just fine, and the it freezes. The time doesn't change...
October 29th 08 04:18 AM
by Systematic88 Go to last post
3 285
Network Load Balancing by chasgman
I have dual NICs in my Vista Pc but Vista does not use both. It will switch between but I can't find a way to get Vista to balance network traffic across the two NICs. Any ideas -- chasgman Charlie
October 28th 08 10:12 PM
by Jack \(MVP-Networking\). Go to last post
2 313
fixed problem accessing network storage by Peter
Problem accessing shared folders on my Buffalo LinkStation mini NAS seems to have been fixed by resetting MTU. I pinged it with a number of MTU settings - the default value of 1500 didn't work - 1400 did work so by trial and error ended up seting it at 1467 and everything seems to be fine.
October 28th 08 08:26 PM
by Peter Go to last post
4 404
cool, thanks by Stefaan Meeuws[_2_]
Mucho mucho useful, thanks! -- Regards, Stefaan Meeuws
October 28th 08 02:34 PM
by Tom Dacon Go to last post
2 307
Vista Suddenly lost "DNS"?, + network issues.. by Finndin
Dear Techies out there - Please give me your help! Last saturday, oct 25 - 08, everything was fine! - sunday morning I had a problem... 1. Apparently, my Vista Home Basic had restarted after an update, now I could not access the internet. The other devices on my home network could access just fine. It appeared the Vista had screwed up it's(?) DNS somehow and after changing the network settings...
October 28th 08 12:44 PM
by Robert L. \(MS-MVP\)[_1187_] Go to last post
3 331
logon by Heinz Beenz
Hi MS recommend adding all user accounts to each PC to allow print and file sharing to work correctly, is there a way to hide all users other than the regular user of each machine . . Heinz
October 28th 08 08:22 AM
by Steve Winograd Go to last post
4 425
cool, thanks by Stefaan Meeuws[_2_]
Mucho mucho useful, thanks! -- Regards, Stefaan Meeuws
October 28th 08 06:45 AM
by Stefaan Meeuws[_2_] Go to last post
0 349
simple file sharing? by ToddAndMargo
Hi All, I am trying to share files between two XP computers and a Vista machine. Does Vista have anything equivalent to XP's "use simple file sharing"? Many thanks, -T
October 26th 08 10:10 PM
by ToddAndMargo Go to last post

From The