Performance and Maintainance of Windows Vista A forum for performance and maintenance tasks in Windows Vista. (microsoft.public.windows.vista.performance_maintainance)

Post New Thread
Threads in Forum : Performance and Maintainance of Windows Vista Forum Tools Search this Forum Feed Icon
laptop shut down-vista by fareeed
laptop shuts down-Vista I have Vista and for an unknown reason the laptop shuts itself down, sometimes after 45 mins, 30 mins, sometimes after 10 mins. not know why it happen... I have tried system restore, downloaded windows updates, updated avira and done a full scan (of which took several hours and the laptop stayed on) all fans
March 14th 10 02:09 PM
by fareeed Go to last post
0 169
laptop shut down-vista by fareeed
laptop shuts down-Vista I have Vista and for an unknown reason the laptop shuts itself down, sometimes after 45 mins, 30 mins, sometimes after 10 mins. not know why it happen... I have tried system restore, downloaded windows updates, updated avira and done a full scan (of which took several hours and the laptop stayed on) all fans
March 14th 10 02:09 PM
by fareeed Go to last post
0 277
Multiple Firewalls by Paul Calcagno
I'm running Vista Home Premium SP2, 2 GB RAM, SAS, MBAM, CA (California Associates) AV (e-mail scanning disabled); Avira AV/Update scheduler, CCleaner, and Windows Firewall, WLM on an Acer Aspire Desktop machine. The system is running just great, however, I've always wondered why I need both the CA and the Windows firewall running at the same time. In CA I can create a list of website that...
(Multi-page thread 1 2 3)
March 12th 10 09:46 PM
by Paul Calcagno Go to last post
20 755
unable to see pictures in offline AP help of Vista by bald boy
Hello, When I click help & support; i cannot see the pictures in help file. Here's the screenshot: http://img442.imageshack.us/img442/9206/vistahelpta9.jpg All pictures in the help file does not appear. I have checked Internet Explorer settings, they are OK. I see pictures while I surf the web. When I checked the source code of the page of help file, i see this for one of the images' location...
March 12th 10 07:42 PM
by J S[_2_] Go to last post
9 371
KB941600 causes sfc.exe /scannow by Kristan M. Kenney [MVP]
Just a heads up, I've noticed on a lot of systems (both 32-bit and 64-bit Windows Vista, multiple SKU's) that KB941600 causes SFC.EXE /SCANNOW to report the following: "Windows Resource Protection found corrupt files but was unable to fix some of them." I've reviewed the CBS.log file in accordance to KB928228 and KB929833, and CBS.log reports that there are no corrupted files. I have also...
(Multi-page thread 1 2)
March 10th 10 08:01 PM
by OneVerse Go to last post
19 860
Power Options by The Learner
I have an HP laptop using Vista SP-2. Until recently, the power settings worked the way I set them (especially shutting off the display after 15 minutes of idle time). Now, this particular setting doesn't work (the display stays on all the time). I haven't checked the other settings yet. Tried Google but couldn't find anything that applied. Suggestions for a solution?
(Multi-page thread 1 2 3)
March 9th 10 02:57 AM
by No Name Go to last post
28 869
Help can't do a complete pc restore! by manutdcronaldo
My hard drive crashed recently after upgrading a couple months ago from Vista to Windows 7. Prior to the hard drive crash, I completely backed up my pc to an external hard drive. As soon as I had a new hard drive in the pc, I restored everything. I was hoping it would restore the OS as well but I'm back with Vista, what I had before I did the restore. Is there any way for me to find out if my...
March 8th 10 12:15 PM
by manutdcronaldo Go to last post
0 311
MSVBVM50.dll Problem by KillerK
Hi there, I have just installed a program and everytime I try to run it, I get an error saying that MSVBVM50.dll is required. I do not know what that is. Is there anyway I can get the program to run? I have already tried compatibility mode but that does not seem to help. Thanks!
(Multi-page thread 1 2 3)
March 8th 10 08:18 AM
by SFVivian Go to last post
24 1,061
PC Shuts down-Vista by Karen
Hi I have Vista and for an unknown reason the pc shuts itself down, sometimes after 45 mins, 30 mins, sometimes after 10 mins. This has only been happening since we cleaned the dust out of the base unit which we did do carefully. I have tried system restore, downloaded windows updates, updated norton and done a full scan (of which took several hours and the pc stayed on) all fans seem to be...
March 8th 10 12:52 AM
by TheDuck[_2_] Go to last post
6 382
PC Shuts down-Vista by Karen
Hi I have Vista and for an unknown reason the pc shuts itself down, sometimes after 45 mins, 30 mins, sometimes after 10 mins. This has only been happening since we cleaned the dust out of the base unit which we did do carefully. I have tried system restore, downloaded windows updates, updated norton and done a full scan (of which took several hours and the pc stayed on) all fans seem to be...
March 6th 10 07:41 AM
by Karen Go to last post
0 219
System Restore Not working on Ultimate Edition by mmd
I have a new install of Vista, but am unable to use system Restore. It does not create restore points automatically and when I try and create a manual one the following error is displayed: "The Restore point could not be created for the following reason: Windows cannot create a shadow copy due to internal error in other system components. for more information view the event log....
(Multi-page thread 1 2 3)
March 6th 10 12:13 AM
by pgn674[_4_] Go to last post
24 769
Vista disk defrag question by EW[_6_]
Does Vista (Home Premium, in my case) defrag the hard drive(s) on its own, without being scheduled to do so? I know I can manually force a defrag, but what about unscheduled defrags? Thanks. EW
(Multi-page thread 1 2)
March 5th 10 10:44 PM
by BuzzCola Go to last post
16 674
Power Options by The Learner
I have an HP laptop using Vista SP-2. Until recently, the power settings worked the way I set them (especially shutting off the display after 15 minutes of idle time). Now, this particular setting doesn't work (the display stays on all the time). I haven't checked the other settings yet. Tried Google but couldn't find anything that applied. Suggestions for a solution? Sorry, but I tried to...
March 5th 10 01:06 AM
by The Learner Go to last post
0 174
Power Options by The Learner
I have an HP laptop using Vista SP-2. Until recently, the power settings worked the way I set them (especially shutting off the display after 15 minutes of idle time). Now, this particular setting doesn't work (the display stays on all the time). I haven't checked the other settings yet. Tried Google but couldn't find anything that applied. Suggestions for a solution? Sorry, but I tried to...
March 5th 10 01:06 AM
by The Learner Go to last post
0 329
Power Options by The Learner
I have an HP laptop using Vista SP-2. Until recently, the power settings worked the way I set them (especially shutting off the display after 15 minutes of idle time). Now, this particular setting doesn't work (the display stays on all the time). I haven't checked the other settings yet. Tried Google but couldn't find anything that applied. Suggestions for a solution?
March 5th 10 12:06 AM
by The Learner Go to last post
0 228
Finger pointing device problem by Adam
I reciently purchased a laptop with good specs in hope it would handle more multitasking. Every so often the laptop forgets about the finger pointing device (the thing that replaces the mouse) and that arrow becomes perminantly stuck. It sometimes happens with the keyboard also, sometimes both at once. It's like it crashes but everything else is still working. Is this normal?! 2Ghz Intel...
March 4th 10 03:32 PM
by GSalisbury Go to last post
4 353
Vista BSOD after startup by Ned[_3_]
My system starts up OK - can log in etc but after a minute or two I get the BSOD. Even in "Safe Mode" - I get a minute or two extra but then it goes again. PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA Technical information: *** STOP: 0x00000050 (0xA7F39000,0x00000000, 0x81E06833,0x00000000) ANy suggestions appreciated...
March 3rd 10 09:21 PM
by Ned[_3_] Go to last post
8 376
Finger pointing device problem by Adam
I reciently purchased a laptop with good specs in hope it would handle more multitasking. Every so often the laptop forgets about the finger pointing device (the thing that replaces the mouse) and that arrow becomes perminantly stuck. It sometimes happens with the keyboard also, sometimes both at once. It's like it crashes but everything else is still working. Is this normal?! 2Ghz Intel...
March 3rd 10 08:54 PM
by Adam Go to last post
0 215
Vista BSOD after startup by Ned[_3_]
My system starts up OK - can log in etc but after a minute or two I get the BSOD. Even in "Safe Mode" - I get a minute or two extra but then it goes again. PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA Technical information: *** STOP: 0x00000050 (0xA7F39000,0x00000000, 0x81E06833,0x00000000) ANy suggestions appreciated...
March 3rd 10 05:06 PM
by Ned[_3_] Go to last post
0 217
Ready Boost by duwayne s
I put a 8gb cruzer flash drive in the flash drive properties window opened so I clicked ready boost ,use this device,slid space to max cilcked ok. Later in one of my dumer moments I removed the flash drive....Now I have put it back and the properties window didnt open .Have I messed it up ? Is it ok? (This is what i have inspiron 1502 windows vista home prem 32bit ) Thanks
March 3rd 10 08:11 AM
by duwayne s Go to last post

From The