Performance and Maintainance of Windows Vista A forum for performance and maintenance tasks in Windows Vista. (microsoft.public.windows.vista.performance_maintainance)

Post New Thread
Threads in Forum : Performance and Maintainance of Windows Vista Forum Tools Search this Forum Feed Icon
.Net framework version?? by LoneStar
How do I check the .net framework version on my Vista Home Premium? I have an "update," as most of you have, for .net version 3, but I need to know my current version. If it is version 3, do I really need an update -- I don't "think" I ever use the .net framework. Am I clueless, or what! EW
July 4th 07 11:08 PM
by Peter Go to last post
5 194
Windows Explorer Defaults by Alias
Hello all, Currently, in Windows Vista when I open Windows Explorer from the Quick Start menu it defaults to Documents under the current users name. I would like to open Windows Explorer from the Quick Start menu and have it default to Computer instead of the Documents folder. Does anyone know how to force Windows Explorer to do this? -A
July 5th 07 12:12 AM
by Alias Go to last post
1 221
BROWSER SUDDENLY CLOSES by Evon
Lately when I click on the X at the top right corner of a browser, all the other open screens close...(even those not open in the same browser) and then comes with a message saying a problem has occured and microsoft is searching for a solution. I have to open the browser over again. Its been on for three days now. Please I need help asap!! Thank you.
July 5th 07 12:24 AM
by Evon Go to last post
0 192
Program compatability ? by Binko76
I have noticed that some programs I install that are supposedly vista ready, when I restart and sometimes right away I am not able to access my device manager and my control panel comes up blank. I also cannot access the welcome center and who knows what else. What is causing this issue? I have had programs that worked fine, I uninstalled them, reinstalled and then have this issue as well....
July 5th 07 12:26 AM
by Binko76 Go to last post
0 179
MsMpEng.exe Windows Start Delay by Tommy
Hi. If I check in Control Panel\Performance Information and Tools and then under Advanced Tools I get a warning on top saying that MsMpEng.exe is slowing down the startup process. This MsMpEng.exe is connected to Windows Defender as far as I know but even if I turn off Defender the error remains. Any ideas how I can fix this? Thanks in advance.
July 5th 07 05:28 AM
by Jack Go to last post
1 186
Java Runtime Environment by Eric Ogawa
I'm running Windows Vista Ultimate (64-bit) on my computer. Does anyone know what is the latest version of Java Runtime Environment (JRE) that runs on that operating system, and how I can download and install it. Thanks for your help in advance. --Eric Ogawa
July 5th 07 06:11 AM
by Eric Ogawa Go to last post
6 216
Error reported with file udom_xmlcursor.cpp by Stan Kay
Every day dozens of new events appear as errors in my Vista Ultimate system. They are all categorised under the heading of Windows Modules Installer and the system provides the following details:- Problem Event Name: WINDOWS_WCP_OTHER_FAILURE2 OsVersion: 6,0.6000
July 5th 07 09:21 AM
by Stan Kay Go to last post
1 206
Backup disk by Marek
I have windows Vista Premium. I did install internal second hard drive (D: )for backup but vista's backup utility does not detect this drive. How can I fix it? Thanks for any help. Mark
July 5th 07 10:16 AM
by Rick Rogers Go to last post
1 216
timedate.cpl appears when atempting to ajust time. by KitKat
*This started a while back i cannot change the time of my system at all. *Clicking once on the clock brings ud the multch clock desplay and "Change Date and time settings..." When clicking "Change date time settings..." a text document named timedate.cpl opens with code and garble in it. *Right clicking over the clock (in the taskbar) brings up small menu (the menu u always get when right...
July 5th 07 01:16 PM
by KitKat Go to last post
3 188
Unable to sleep at all - Power off every time by Massimo Savazzi
When I try to sleep the monitor goes black for less than one second and the pc reverts back to normal operation. I wasn't able to get any info from system log or to find any tool to troubleshoot this. I have to POWER OFF evey time! Can you help me?
July 5th 07 03:31 PM
by Trevor L. Go to last post
9 205
Indexer matter by Mario Boulay
Each time I start Vista and it's fully started, the gadget showing the cpu usage tells me the CPU is using 50%. I first let this going for many hour and it kept on going. I had some rendering to do, so I close that process thru the program manager. Question is, is this indexer really necessary? Can I turn it off for good? If yes, how?, i didnt find where. Beside this, everythings run...
July 5th 07 05:48 PM
by P. Di Stolfo Go to last post
1 184
Windows Media Player 11 does not overide teh Screen Saver in Vista by Moore Cat
that pretty much sums it up, i have all the settngs in Media player set to block the screen saver during playback, but still my vista ultimate overides and runs the screen saver. is thier something i can change in the display settings or is this a known issue, i couldnt seem to find too much info about it but i may have looked for support in the wrong places. any help or advice woudl be...
July 5th 07 06:56 PM
by Moore Cat Go to last post
1 189
windows keep changing sizes by Susan
Hi, I have had my new laptop with Vista on it about 2 weeks, and when I have a window open: Word, Netscape, IE, etc, periodically the window will resize itself --without me doing anything. Is this a glitch in the program? when it happens, I am either clicking on a link, scrolling, or moving the cursor. Is this happening to anyone else? Is there something I can do to fix it? thanks, susan
July 5th 07 09:50 PM
by Ronnie Vernon MVP Go to last post
3 212
can't get the animation of vista to stay by indeart21
after a update my computer seems to run with the vista animations....the rolodex works, the windows above the bottom bar appear, then after a restart the computer swithces back to something resembling xp, no animation at all, i am very new to this laptop i have and dont know if its my settings, or what??? i would appreciate any suggestions...thanks
July 5th 07 10:34 PM
by Dave Go to last post
2 200
windows installer by Lyle
yesterday when I turned on my pc(vista home basic)got notice preparing to install...it went away when the widgets loaded then came back again...was unable to access any internet programs...ICONS were enlarged and rearranged from what I have...could not even open windows update. rebooted(all the from power off to on) at least 3 times the same happened...ENDED UPUSING ACROSIN TRUE IMAGE TO...
July 6th 07 01:48 AM
by Lyle Go to last post
0 152
Autochk.exe Corrupt by uvbogden
Over the last six weeks I've been having problems with chkdsk not running as scheduled in the "fix" mode (system restore doesn't go back before the file became corrupt so this is not an option). Using the "system file check" utility I discovered that my autochk.exe file is corrupted and sfc could not repair it. I read the links cited below, but could not locate WAIK, wimfltr.inf, or imagex...
July 6th 07 05:54 AM
by uvbogden Go to last post
1 141
Defragmenting by buddy
If we uninstall program(s) do the files get deleted off Windows when we defragment?
July 6th 07 06:04 AM
by uvbogden Go to last post
8 149
Java User Acct. Problem? by rjboney
While trying to play POGO.com games. I got error msg . Pogo had worked prior to today. Something has changed, but I can not figure it out. I can log on to Pogo ok and play non-Java based games. When I select a Java based screen it goes to game popup and starts loading then popup closes and site goes to error msg. screen. It does this wheather I use IE7.0 or Firefox 2.0, I get the same error....
July 6th 07 06:55 AM
by rjboney Go to last post
2 130
Cannot delete a no longer needed folder by JimW
Vista will not allow me to delete a folder. It says I need "permission" I only have one account loaded and it has "administrator" privileges. How do I delete a folder? Jim
July 6th 07 10:04 AM
by Rick Rogers Go to last post
1 130
Restore problem by rj
Hope I'm in the right ng and someone can help! I did a backup using the Backup and Restore wizard in Vista Home Premium. I backed up the C drive to a logical drive on the same hard drive. But I can't restore it. It doesn't list my backup folders even though I can see the zipped folders on the K drive when I try to add the folder. It says "backup set___ is not in the backup....". There were no...
July 6th 07 10:49 AM
by rj Go to last post

From The