Performance and Maintainance of Windows Vista A forum for performance and maintenance tasks in Windows Vista. (microsoft.public.windows.vista.performance_maintainance)

Post New Thread
Threads in Forum : Performance and Maintainance of Windows Vista Forum Tools Search this Forum Feed Icon
Sound Problems. by Concern1
I just recently upgraded my computer to an HP, model M8400f, running Windows Vista Home premium. Since I bought my computer I discovered a little annoying quirk: I often don't get sound when I connect my headphones to the jack on the front of the computer. This is not my 1st computer, and, of course, I made sure it was not on mute, I clicked on the icon for sound and toggle to its highest...
November 13th 08 10:36 PM
by weejokey Go to last post
5 330
Cannot open Theme Settings, Display Settings, Screen Saver Settings, etc by mitcho
Hi everyone. new to the forum. Trying to find a solution to my problem. I have vista ultimate on a DELL XPS laptop. I have 2 user accounts, both admin. The second account i setup today by default had the windows classic theme, so i clicked personalize the change it. but to my surprise, when i clicked on the "Theme" link in the personalize menu, nothing happened - no popup or error message,...
November 13th 08 05:21 PM
by Spike9458[_2_] Go to last post
1 323
Help & Support not working by Kaz
bought new pc 2 weeks ago - running vista - can't get my windows help & support to open. It says internet explorer cannot download/from help. internet explorer was not able to open this internet site - it is unavailable or cannot be found. Can anyone tell me the solution Thanks
November 13th 08 05:04 PM
by mathias007 Go to last post
4 319
Vista Home repair by Alexey[_3_]
Hi I have a laptop with what I believe is a sick hard drive. StartUp Reapir doesn't work, and computer wont boot up on Safe mode. When i tried to repair the Vista Windows Installation it took 15 minutes to find the Windows installation and then went immediately in Attentpting Repairs which is simply running doing nothin. Then i get the blue screen of death ! What I wanted to know, is...
November 13th 08 10:55 AM
by Ken Blake Go to last post
2 251
Blackout On 4GB Memory Gaming by Akumajou
This is partially related to http://www.vistax64.com/general-discussion/192081-poor-performance-4gb-memory.html I had been using the last beta BIOS (1021.006) for my P4P800, so I decided to try the last non-beta (1019). With 1019, 3584MB of memory is detected, up from 3327MB on 1021.006. There's a major problem usability problem with 1019 however. The screen will go black from time to time when...
November 13th 08 08:16 AM
by Richie Hardwick[_2_] Go to last post
3 252
pagefile.sys writes with plenty of RAM by Ross Comer
I am seeing tons of writes to pagefile.sys (60MB/min in Resource Monitor) even though I think I have memory available. I would expect there to be minimal or no writes unless I ran out of RAM. Why are there writes? I'm trying to optimize my system and lots of pagefile.sys writes seems bad. I have 4GB on a 32-bit Vista system so 3GB is visible. TaskManager shows 2.18GB in use in the meter...
November 12th 08 10:09 AM
by Rick Rogers Go to last post
5 278
Wake from sleep mode has become very slow - please help! by Nuzy
I used to be able to put my pc in sleep mode and it would wake within a few seconds of me clicking the mouse, hitting a key, etc. Within the last few weeks (not sure exactly when) it now takes 18 seconds (give or take a couple) to wake from sleep mode. It brings up the desktop and then kind of hangs so I can't launch any applications, although I can move the mouse around. I have searched the...
November 11th 08 03:43 PM
by terbos Go to last post
3 240
Vista Premium appearing in Windows Classic by slimskillz
hi i have windows premium, the recent sp1 installed but yet my computer has been displaying in windows classic theme/appearance for weeks... i have tried to change it through personalisation but the only available themes are classic, classic black etcetc... its frustrating as no longer have the features of vists e.g. the sidebar can any1 help?
November 11th 08 02:58 PM
by Jeffrey Kaplan Go to last post
6 286
Disappearing Icons and Start Bar? by MimixRose
Everytime I login to my account on Vista, my start bar and all the icons on my desktop disappear. I've tried to press the start button on my keyboard but it doesn't work. When I log in, just before the bar disappears, it says something about a driver being disabled because it screws up the way the system runs. I have a feeling this could be it, but without any access to my start bar, windows...
November 11th 08 02:55 PM
by edutron Go to last post
2 212
Removing Bluetooth Devices Icon from Control Panel - Windows Vista Business by rikkster
::Hello All.:: ::I am trying to remove the Bluetooth Devices icon that is present in the Control Panel in Windows Vista Business, this computer is not Bluetooth capable so there is no need for this icon. I have located the *bthprops.cpl* file and *bthprops.cpl.mui* and have disabled the Bluetooth service in Services. I am still unable to delete the previously mentioned files even though I have...
November 11th 08 04:19 AM
by nanogopi Go to last post
1 205
Disable estimated time by Aaron Oxford
So hilarious to watch Vista copy a 5 kB file and then spend 30 seconds working out how long it is going to take. At least it was the first few times... :-( Any suggestions?
November 11th 08 12:17 AM
by Dave[_29_] Go to last post
1 231
Cannot resize partition (acces denied) by misterjerry
Hello, Here's my problem: I try to resize my partition (the c disk it's called in this case) which is around 1,4 TB larrge. I use around maybe 200 GB of it for both windows vista ultimate and my files. I used to be able to just resize the partition with the vista build in tool for that. Now suddenly i get the message acces denied. Before that i got messages like : you are able to resize this...
November 10th 08 11:18 PM
by DDW[_3_] Go to last post
7 252
Font management by Penny[_3_]
Hi folks, I'm needing a font management program for a Vista 64 bit system. I would really like to find something that is free-ware. I have a relatively new computer, and have never installed a font myself, but have installed desktop publishing programs. Now I find that I have almost 2000 fonts in my font folder. I notice that many of them are shortcuts to folders in my program files but I...
November 10th 08 11:13 PM
by DDW[_3_] Go to last post
5 247
unidentified program dialog by Jeff[_17_]
When I run my anti-virus program (Avast), Vista puts up a dialog saying "An unidentified program wants access to your computer" with the choices Cancel and Allow. Is there something I can do to mark my Avast .exe files so that Vista will know that it is OK, so that I don't have to fool with the dialog every time I run a scan? Thanks, Jeff
November 10th 08 06:09 PM
by Jeff[_17_] Go to last post
0 231
downloads die on vista by Jeff[_17_]
I have noticed two situations where Vista seems to give up on a download that worked fine on XP. One is with Flash objects, such as the crossword puzzle website http://games.latimes.com/index_crossword.html?uc_feature_code=tmcal The puzzle on this website malfunctioned from being incompletely downloaded about three days every week, not always the same days of the week. Then I discovered...
November 10th 08 05:57 PM
by Jeff[_17_] Go to last post
0 249
how to resize my partition while vista says it has no space but there's space enough by misterjerry
I have a partiotn with vista ultimae on it, it's aroun1,3 TB big. It still has around 700 GB free space. I already reduced the virtiual memory size to 200 mb to make sure that windows finds space but no.. It keeps on saying there is 0 space to use (and then suggest to have a look at the virtual memory or at the moment'recordings'(i think with that is meant systemreplacement, the...
(Multi-page thread 1 2)
November 10th 08 05:33 PM
by misterjerry Go to last post
14 366
230 Gb of "Unknown" files?? by Ralph IB
My C Drive is 288 Gb and has 15 Gb of known files, 23 Gb free and 230 Gb of what WinDirStat lists as unknown files. My setup is: HP m8150n with Intel Viiv Intel Core2 Quad Processor Q6600 (2.4 GHz) Windows Vista Ultimate 3 Gb PC2-5300 DDR2 SDRAM NVIDIAGeForce 8400 SEgraphics 640 Gb 7200RPM SATA HD C Drive 288 Gb D Drive Restore 9 Gb with 8 Gb full; 1 Gb free
November 10th 08 06:17 AM
by Andrew Rybenkov Go to last post
8 243
custom wallpaper or pre-installed? by Gummy bear sp1[_6_]
iam wondering if custom wallpapers i get elsewhere can drain comp's resources? i rather use a custom one than a pre-made one which is bland. -- Gummy bear sp1 ------------------------------------------------------------------------ Gummy bear sp1's Profile: http://winvistaclub.com/forum/member.php?userid=824 View this thread: http://winvistaclub.com/forum/showthread.php?t=26004
November 10th 08 02:53 AM
by Gummy bear sp1[_7_] Go to last post
1 226
Bsod irql_not_less_or_equal by RichTaylor1974
Hi, Thanks in advance for any help. I've copied the Memory.dmp file below. The only pattern appears to be when I'm opening or using significant memory, e.g copying or moving images, playing Command and Conquer etc. I've added an external USB HDD, a few software apps and I've loaded the latest drivers for NVidia and Creative because (in my experience) most
November 9th 08 09:49 PM
by jcgriff2[_2_] Go to last post
8 288
No Wakeup by Bing Davis
After I put my computer to sleep, I try to wake it up by tapping the spacebar and it will startup for about 4 seconds the shut off then startup for 4 seconds shut off etc. etc. Anybody got any ideas? Typically I have to pull the plug, replace the plug and push start to get running. -- Bing Davis
November 9th 08 07:11 PM
by Brink Go to last post

From The