Performance and Maintainance of Windows Vista A forum for performance and maintenance tasks in Windows Vista. (microsoft.public.windows.vista.performance_maintainance)

Post New Thread
Threads in Forum : Performance and Maintainance of Windows Vista Forum Tools Search this Forum Feed Icon
No Wakeup by Bing Davis
After I put my computer to sleep, I try to wake it up by tapping the spacebar and it will startup for about 4 seconds then shut off then startup for 4 seconds shut off etc. etc. Anybody got any ideas? Typically I have to pull the plug and replug to get started again. -- Bing Davis
November 9th 08 07:10 PM
by Brink Go to last post
1 266
Windows Vista Sound Scheme by Jaimz
Here's a challenge for all you whizzkids!! Although the built in speakers in my laptop work perfectly - music, dvds, videos, etc. - my Vista default sound scheme has stopped working. It was working previously and I am at a loss to understand why it has stopped. I have checked that the speakers are not muted, ensured that the levels are properly set, checked that I have the most up to date...
November 9th 08 08:25 AM
by DustSailor Go to last post
5 274
- Copy so slow the machine almost freezes. Why? - by Steve JORDI
Hi, I have copied a 9.8Gb data file from my former laptop under XP Pro SP3 onto an external USB2 hard disk. This took 8 minutes. Now I want to copy back this file from that same USB2 Hard disk to my new laptop. A fresh out of the box Vista Business 32bit copy to which I have applied all fixes, it's under SP1 and I have also fine tuned it following instructions from the forums and the web where...
November 7th 08 10:12 PM
by Steve JORDI Go to last post
0 224
reliability index really isn't by fireman604
I have a question or maybe a comment. I have a computer that has a performance rating of 5.8, from my understanding is pretty good, I am running vista ultimate 64. I have a reliability index of 9.29 or something around there until I try to burn a video file to a DVD or play Spider solitare and try to exit with out saving score or game then system locks up. solid lock up, the only way out is to...
November 7th 08 09:27 PM
by fireman604 Go to last post
2 269
Computer havok, help? by bloodstar23
So my computer has decided to pretty much host an all out war against me. I've tried every troubleshooting method, debugging, scanning, everything I could think of and nothing is working. The computer just randomly decides it wants to shut down whenever I'm trying to run like two or more active graphics programs, such as trying to run a game and a flash at the same time, multiple flash...
(Multi-page thread 1 2)
November 7th 08 05:12 PM
by [email protected] Go to last post
16 472
Strange desktop problem by Joe321
Sorry to sound ignorant, but I don't know much about computers. A few days ago, I opened my laptop to find that my desktop was just a black screen with the window which would normally come up when you click my computer, displaying only certain things on my hard drive. after about 20 minutes of searching, I found a way to connect to the internet to search for a solution which I have yet to find....
November 7th 08 02:33 AM
by Brink Go to last post
1 244
Bluescreen and some problems by antonisg1
I installed Vista Ultimate x64 2 days ago and I'm getting frequent bluescreens with a message that says something like: "a program attempted to write on read-only memory" and "try to turn cacheing or shadowing off"... Anyone has an idea on this? I'm also getting frequent crashes on Firefox 3 and PES 2009. I just get a message that they stopped working. Are these connected in any way? Thanks.. --
November 7th 08 12:10 AM
by jcgriff2[_2_] Go to last post
4 262
Problem with "Hijack This" by jcgriff2[_2_]
If Vista x64, keep in mind that portions of the HJT log showing "missing" \system32 files is primarily smoke and mirrors. x86 apps like HJT are re-directed to the x86 \syswow64 when seeking the x64 \system32. It doesn't know this. x86 HJT s/b pointed toward \sysnative - the virtualized \system32 during x86 app execution. jcgriff2
November 7th 08 12:02 AM
by jcgriff2[_2_] Go to last post
0 238
Startup problems with DW by Michael Walraven[_3_]
Vista Home Premium, Dell XPS410, SP1 installed and up-to-date on patches. Installation was fresh (not an upgrade) In investigating why my system will not successfully hibernate I came upon the following in Event Viewer: The following boot-start or system-start driver(s) failed to load: DW Event 7026, Service Control Manager Eventlog Provider
November 6th 08 10:48 PM
by Michael Walraven[_3_] Go to last post
4 235
Odd list of unused file extensions by kmichaelf
Running CCleaner on the registry it picked up a series of unused file extensions. I understand that these can be left over from uninstalled programs. But this list looked off because it appears to be portions of a text section. For example: Unused File Extension # HKCR\# Unused File Extension 5469 HKCR\5469 Unused File Extension added HKCR\added Unused File Extension after HKCR\after Unused...
November 6th 08 06:35 PM
by Louie[_5_] Go to last post
3 247
Need to add ram by slimcan
I use a lot of ram , plus vista sucks up most of it. I went to crucial .com and found ram for my dell 530s, however my dell has ddr2 sdram and the site gives me DDR2. It is misssing the SDRAM part of the descrition . I ask if the product is missing SDRAM and only says DDR2 it should not be the Same. TRUE? Plus Crusial has a ram test on the site. I have only 2 sticks and the site says i have...
(Multi-page thread 1 2)
November 6th 08 01:34 PM
by Deet Go to last post
13 433
Problem with "Hijack This" by Mick Murphy
Try the 2 programs below. If you have to, scan in Safe Mode. All info below. http://www.spybot.info/en/index.html Spybot Search & Destroy 1.6 is a very good, FREE Anti-Spyware Program. Download, install, update, and immunize your System with it. Then SCAN with it.
November 6th 08 04:34 AM
by Mick Murphy Go to last post
0 230
Problem with Ready Boost Using Memory Stick Pro Duo by zxzcoryzxz
I seem to have a problem with vista when I try to use Readyboost with my 1gb Sony Memory Stick Pro Duo. When I insert it into the card reader it is recognized and i choose to use ready boost... it closes and says the device is working....(is it and its just allocating whatever the default setting allocates? I dunno...) However whenever i go to My Computer to view the ready boost tab under the...
November 5th 08 08:55 PM
by zxzcoryzxz Go to last post
0 217
Paint shop Pro and Vista by Big John[_2_]
Been using PSP7 on my old computer with XP and it loaded on my new laptop with Vista on it with no problem but every time I attempt to do anything the programs stops and must be restarted . I'm sure it's the old drivers aren't compatible with Vista. Can anyone tell me where to get drivers for PSP7 that will work on Vista?? BJ
(Multi-page thread 1 2)
November 5th 08 05:38 PM
by Steve Thackery[_2_] Go to last post
13 372
How do you Log off another user? by CooSer
I keep several different profiles on my computer so that everyone in the family has there own email and settings. Although I am always trying to get my kids to close all programs and log off, often I find that they walk away from the computer without logging out. I am thinking that this is using up my computer resources and I like to log them off myself. When I had XP I was able to start the...
November 5th 08 12:54 PM
by CooSer Go to last post
2 259
vista slows when installing/transferring large files by jamesph
windows vista ultimate32 bit...2 x 750 gb sata wd hdd..en8800gt top 512mb graphics...4gb DDr3 Ram. ..asus p5e3 premium mobo. intel q9550 quad core 2.83ghz cpu. trying to install Adobe CS4 ..(4 disks approx 3.9gb each).process stops and hangs locks pc ... tried to put installations files in install point on desktop (as recommended) first disk of about 3.93gb transferred from dvd drive in...
November 5th 08 12:38 PM
by jamesph Go to last post
2 228
Internet Explorer has stopped working by Robert Aldwinckle
(cross-post added to Vista Perf & Maint) "mushalvarez" wrote in message ... Hi, this is the problem details: Problem signatu Problem Event Name: APPCRASH Application Name: iexplore.exe
November 5th 08 10:25 AM
by Rick Rogers Go to last post
1 227
spam spyware by wxfreqrs
Have a question using sony viao and vista HOME PREMIUM what's a good spyware program tried a couple I used with XP and they either will not install or install properly -- Semper Vigilis http://myweb.cableone.net/wxfreqrs/ Real Time Weather Observations
(Multi-page thread 1 2)
November 5th 08 07:52 AM
by Ken Blake Go to last post
14 468
Please help me BSOD constantly by ibeenkillinit
I have installed x64 vista ultimate and sp1 oh my god the blue screens! I have been battling with this over and over for the last 4 days. I get the following *problem signature* problem event name: bluescreen os version: 6.0.6001.2.1.0.256.1 locale id: 1033 *files that help describe the problem (some files may no longer be available)*
November 5th 08 06:02 AM
by jcgriff2[_2_] Go to last post
4 268
MS dumps Vista. by news.microsoft.com[_10_]
MS dumps Vista. No surprise there. http://www.nytimes.com/2008/10/29/technology/business-computing/29soft.html?_r=1&ref=business&oref=slogin
(Multi-page thread 1 2 3 ... Last Page)
November 5th 08 05:57 AM
by Bill McCarthy Go to last post