Performance and Maintainance of Windows Vista A forum for performance and maintenance tasks in Windows Vista. (microsoft.public.windows.vista.performance_maintainance)

Post New Thread
Threads in Forum : Performance and Maintainance of Windows Vista Forum Tools Search this Forum Feed Icon
Yahoo! Messenger and Home Network by Alex
Hi, I have Windows Vista Home Premium SP1 x64. After I installed Yahoo! Messenger 8.1 ( latest version ) sometimes after I signing out, my computer internet connection is going down for some several minutes: -my prompt commander pinging is saying that no address has been found -my taskbar icon is showing that i have internet connection -i can't open a webpage
October 25th 08 09:59 PM
by Alex Go to last post
0 206
Event Viewer System Log Error 13 by JJ[_4_]
Every now and then, when I try to consult the event log ('System') in Windows Vista Home Premium, I get the following messages: 'cannot open the event log or custom view', 'data is invalid (13)' , 'Verify that the Event Log service is running'. (I hope this is the correct message text, as this is a translation I found on some website. I use the Dutch version of Windows, but I don't think the...
October 25th 08 08:34 PM
by Maureen Malone Go to last post
1 251
Windows Experience Index of 4.1 by mspohLFC[_2_]
I have recently added an extra 1gb of RAM to make my total RAM up to 3gb. However, the Windows Experience Index score for RAM stayed at 4.1. Is there any reason for this or is it just Vista being stupid again? :confused: Thanks guys. -- mspohLFC ------------------------------------------------------------------------ mspohLFC's Profile: http://winvistaclub.com/forum/member.php?userid=735
October 25th 08 08:07 PM
by Ian D Go to last post
6 244
No sounds on Vista. by news.microsoft.com[_10_]
Sounds are turned on in Vista yet they don't play. What setting could I have missed and what can cause sounds to stop playing? The speakers work fine. All connections are secure. The little speaker icon is also missing from the taskbar. How can I get that back? TIA.......
October 25th 08 07:09 AM
by news.microsoft.com[_9_] Go to last post
5 292
In Windows Photo Gallery by news.microsoft.com[_10_]
How do I add PhotoFiltre to 'Windows Photo Gallery' when I click on "Open?" I would like to remove a few choices there and add a few I want.
October 25th 08 06:59 AM
by news.microsoft.com[_9_] Go to last post
4 241
shadow copie, AGAIN. by menikamatii
so i decided to reformat last night........ didnt have this problem on very first boot. missing 45~ gb of disk space. found the shadow copy threads then i followed
(Multi-page thread 1 2)
October 24th 08 11:31 PM
by Mike Hall - MVP[_3_] Go to last post
12 528
How can i start Explorer in specific location ? by Lucske[_3_]
Hi, When i start my explorer (in Vista Ultimate), it starts in C:\Users\user\Appdata\Roaming\Microsoft\windows\programs ... Is there any way i can change that to: C:\ ? I tryed making a shortcut on my desktop and change the path to C:\ , but then it still starts in ...\documents . I really would like it to start in the root of C: Can anyone help me ?
October 24th 08 11:16 PM
by Lucske[_4_] Go to last post
2 247
can't install updates by [email protected]
all updates fail installation getting error code 80040154 on kb940510. novice ,need someone to bail me out!:confused: -- Posted via http://www.vistaheads.com
October 24th 08 10:36 PM
by Rick Rogers Go to last post
1 241
MATLAB not working with vista ? by NOUF
hi, I have a problem with MATLAB 7.0.0.19920 (R14) ONLY when I installed it on my new Laptop hp AMD turion (tm) - X2 Dual-core Mobile RM-70 2.00 GB RAM windows vista home premium 32-bit
October 24th 08 08:21 PM
by Mike Hall - MVP[_3_] Go to last post
3 302
Memory Diagnostic Tool by vegaspat[_4_]
I just spent an hour or more trying to run the Memory Diagnostic test with no luck at all. I even dug out the OS disc and could not get the option to run the memory test. When I did it per the article I had read I continued to get a black screen saying the "Selected entry was not located because the application is missing or corrupt. Is this tool not included with Vista Home Premium by...
(Multi-page thread 1 2)
October 24th 08 07:42 PM
by vegaspat[_4_] Go to last post
12 405
Driver Preventing Start-up by ABEHE3EP
The system "lost" its sound card driver (Realtek). Upon re0installing the standard driver available on the system, the "blue screen" shut it down. Now it will not start-up at all due to a "driver" problem and the auto-fix cen not correct it. So, short of re-installing the operating system, what can be done? Computer is an Acer lap-top about 2 years old. -- ABEHE3EP
October 24th 08 06:24 PM
by Malke[_2_] Go to last post
1 278
Why are these phoning home? by news.microsoft.com[_10_]
Can someone tell me why MS management Console, Windows Host Process and MS Windows Filter Host are constantly trying to phone home? I don't see these phoning home on the XP machine.
October 24th 08 05:53 PM
by news.microsoft.com[_9_] Go to last post
4 243
Constant problems with Vista Search by Steve/Aus
Search is constantly giving inconsistant results. Whether searching from the search in the start menu or another window the same problems occur. Will not display results in some views. Almost always Details View won't show results and others may or may not. Sometimes it works, most times it doesn't. Is there a workaround for this problem? Steve W (in Aus)
October 24th 08 02:26 PM
by Retroman Go to last post
4 262
How do I stop power saver from shutting PC off? by news.microsoft.com[_10_]
How do I stop the power saver feature from shutting off my monitor and computer before it finishes defragging? Why is everything moved and renamed? I right-click on desktop and properties is no longer there. I don't want my PC shutting off when it's defragging or I have to work with a client or be on the phone. The frustration doesn't end.....
(Multi-page thread 1 2)
October 24th 08 01:04 PM
by SCSIraidGURU Go to last post
15 446
Free Defragger by news.microsoft.com[_10_]
Can someone recommend a good FREE defragger that shows the process as it did in W98 and XP? I can't stand having no damn idea how long it will take when I have other things to do. Why the hell was it changed so no one has a clue how fragmented the drive is or how long it will take?
(Multi-page thread 1 2 3 ... Last Page)
October 24th 08 07:09 AM
by news.microsoft.com[_10_] Go to last post
47 1,255
Vista TweakVi WARNING!!!!!!!!! by news.microsoft.com[_10_]
Do not pay attention to those who recommend this crap software. I uninstalled it and the icons cannot be removed from the desktop! I can neither drag and drop them in the recycle bin nor right-click them and delete. Why the hell are the MVPs recommending something like this to people?
(Multi-page thread 1 2 3 ... Last Page)
October 24th 08 07:01 AM
by news.microsoft.com[_10_] Go to last post
31 843
Giving names to new Folders problem by Lucske
Hi, I'm having troubles giving a name to new folders on my harddrive. When i right-click and select "new folder" i do get that but when i give it a new name and press enter i get an error and it's still called "New Folder" ... Also when i try to change the name later, it won't let me ... Anyone any idea's ? I'm working with Vista Ultimate (dutch version). All updates are installed except SP1...
October 24th 08 03:41 AM
by Ramesh Srinivasan, MS-MVP Go to last post
5 255
Fav Icons by Ryka[_3_]
I updated a website and now all of my favorite lists icons are wrong. Is there a way to restore the correct ones? I tried re-submitting the favorites on the list but the icons are still incorrect. Help please! I'm using I.E. 8.
October 24th 08 03:33 AM
by Ramesh Srinivasan, MS-MVP Go to last post
3 254
Vista Home 32bit: NDIS.SYS!TrFilterDprIndicateReceiveComplete+0x3e by Namkce
Hello, I'm not sure if this is the correct forum or if this should be in networking, but this issue with my Dell Inspiron 1520 Laptop running Vista Home Basic 32 bit with SP1 recently appeared after recieving updates last week (on the 14th of October). At first, the computer was stuck at "Applying updates 3 of 3 - 0% complete" screen, and then eventually went blank and became completely...
October 24th 08 02:39 AM
by Namkce Go to last post
0 204
SFC clarification by vegaspat[_4_]
In working on another issue I ran SFC and when I went to view the log I was a little overwhelmed. There were dates on there with info that I had NOT run SFC on those particular dates. ( That I remember ) Does SFC checker automatically on occasion? Some of the files that had been fixed were TTF files. Some time ago MS Works kept giving me a message to delete some of fonts. It stated...
October 24th 08 02:20 AM
by vegaspat[_4_] Go to last post

From The