Performance and Maintainance of Windows Vista A forum for performance and maintenance tasks in Windows Vista. (microsoft.public.windows.vista.performance_maintainance)

Post New Thread
Threads in Forum : Performance and Maintainance of Windows Vista Forum Tools Search this Forum Feed Icon
Where do these processes start from? by Bob
Where do I find these start-up processes that are not in start menu start up folder and in start up in msconfig? At computer boot up or computer restart, entire or partial applications or utilities or processes (I do not know the proper term) that are user installed start up. Some are irritating or unwanted at start up and I want to start them only when I want to use them. Most of the time...
October 24th 08 01:08 AM
by Bob Go to last post
6 249
SSD or Raptor to make Vista more spritely? by Kris[_5_]
Would put Vista on 32gb SSD (13gb out of 25gb)(Patriot or OCZ, probably) or on WD Raptor (75gb or whatever) page is currently on a different drive from opsys. tia! -- Kris ----------
October 23rd 08 05:40 PM
by Kris[_5_] Go to last post
7 294
Ok people I know dumb question but please expand my knowledge by Squa190
So Here it is because I couldn't find a description in the windows help files. How do I find out what the cached memory is for and why it is so high? It doesn't feel right that I should have less than 200 "free". check my specs for computer info and let me know if I need to include anymore info, which I'm sure I will. Thanks. http://home.comcast.net/%7Es_pasqua/Images/VFtask.jpg] --
October 23rd 08 07:35 AM
by DDW[_3_] Go to last post
4 241
Dell Support Center is Corrupted by e0d0d
So I started up my computer this morning and once I get to my desktop a notification saying "sprtcmd.exe - corrupt file" and "The file or directory C:/Program Files/Dell Support Center/ gs_agent is corrupt and unreadable. Please run the Chkdsk utility." I ran the Chkdsk utility and nothing happened even in admin mode. I am also blocked from restoring my computer and removing/repairing...
October 23rd 08 01:58 AM
by hkancyr[_12_] Go to last post
4 251
Issues with Windows Explorer by jlowery000
I have several issues with Vista and will start with these. 1) When dumping a directory/file to the recycle bin, the recycling 1 item box will come up and not go away. I end up having to go to the task manager and close it that way. I can hit stop or the "X" to close the box and it just changes to the "canceling" box and doesn't close it. This also happens when you move files from one...
October 22nd 08 11:13 PM
by jlowery000 Go to last post
0 235
vista x64 random freezes by danllrr
Hello! I just got a new laptop (Gateway M6864-FX, 4GB ram, vista 64-bit home premium, intel core 2 duo, 2 ghz). Starting the week after I installed my most frequently used programs (Mozilla Firefox, AIM 6.8...and somewhere in there I installed Microsoft Silverlight) it started to freeze. It would be randomly, in the middle of anything, so I decided to re-install my most frequently used...
October 22nd 08 08:51 PM
by DDW[_3_] Go to last post
1 238
How do you run chkdsk? by e0d0d
So Ive been trying to run chkdsk on vista and it doesn't seem to do much. The window pops up for all of half a second and that's it. Any ideas? -- e0d0d
October 22nd 08 08:28 PM
by Brink Go to last post
3 314
"Can't backup my computer(crc) error 0*80070017- backup failure" by Matilda Laja
I* can't backup my computer, each time I do a backup, there is a message- cyclic redundancy check error (0*80070017)* *Last backup failed.* *I have tried every registry fix and done every scan and cleaned my Vista and Data files.* *Windows says that my updates are up to date.* *Usually when I backup, it doesn't complete successfully.* *I don't know what else to do. * *Please can you help?* **
October 22nd 08 05:33 PM
by Christine [MSFT] Go to last post
2 951
Download problem by Fr J Mahoney
Hi, I'm running Vista Home Premium on a Vaio FZ490. Suddenly, I started having problems downloading files from the Internet, on a dialup connection. No file will download, including Norton updates, except for Windows updates. No virus, I did a complete scan, and then scanned with new software to doublecheck. No spyware or anything else found. My guess is that a setting got changed somewhere...
October 22nd 08 05:57 AM
by Frenchy Go to last post
2 311
Power Options Which One? by Usama
I have always left the power options on the default setting. I have just got a new PC tho, a gaming one. What should I set the options to? Will selecting high performance make any differnce? http://blog.windowsvistamagazine.co.uk/resources/windowsvista/windows-vista-power-options2.jpg] -- Usama
(Multi-page thread 1 2)
October 22nd 08 04:06 AM
by Blueduck3285 Go to last post
13 441
Vista64 VSS storage - redirection to other partition ? by Poutnik
Hi, is there possible to redirect Vista shadow copy service storage to other partition with cluster size =16 kB ? My system one has cluster 4 KB and suffers by defragmenting issue for VSS and cluster 16 kB. The space at system one is also a reason. Some 1-2 month ago I was playing with some Vista CL commands
October 21st 08 01:18 PM
by Poutnik Go to last post
3 226
Memory use and performance issues by david manvell
I’m having some memory use or performance issues I think. Let me try to explain. I have a fairly powerful desktop with decent hardware all around. System specs: Dell Precision 670 Workstation Running Windows Vista Ultimate x64. All latest service packs etc. 2 Xeon CPUs 3.2GHz (2 logical processors each). So 4 logical processors each
(Multi-page thread 1 2)
October 20th 08 09:12 PM
by Mark H[_2_] Go to last post
16 393
Windows Explorer has stopped working. by Tim Rettammel
Whenever I try to access anything controlled by windows explorer (ie documents, computer, downloads, control panel) The window shows up blank, and qeues the new vista spinwheel, then gives me the Windows Explorer has stopped working message, which then gives way to the windows explorer is restarting message. I can use everything else like applications and internet, but I can't even open...
(Multi-page thread 1 2 3)
October 20th 08 08:22 PM
by jon08[_7_] Go to last post
26 577
kernel32.dll by William
Hey i got a problem that keeps popping up when i try to launch my game UT3 (unreal tournament 3). I think it has something to do with kernel32.dll. Problem Event Name: APPCRASH Application Name: UT3.exe Application Version: 0.0.0.0 Application Timestamp: 471afd16 Fault Module Name: kernel32.dll Fault Module Version: 6.0.6000.16386 Fault Module Timestamp: 4549bd80
October 20th 08 07:22 AM
by Mick Murphy Go to last post
2 245
can programs adjust power plans ? by mindbreaker
hi, is it possible to change the power plan if a certain program starts? I'm working on a notebook and the power plan is now balanced but some programs are really CPU intensive (3DS Max , during rendering) and with the power plan on 'high performance' it goes faster :) the problem is that I forget to change the power plan all the time... is it possible to do something so that when 3DS Max starts...
October 19th 08 11:44 AM
by mindbreaker Go to last post
0 213
Virus or What? by Vista Not Vista Anymore
my dell laptop with vista has recently begun working poorly. the email and internet now take 60-90 seconds to respond to open, the computer seems to freeze often, and the mcafee security center seems to turn off (by itself) and then has to "fix" the "computer and files" and "email and im" portions. i have tried to return to an earlier registry. i've done all the scans, reinstalled mcafee 3...
October 19th 08 09:08 AM
by Ralph[_5_] Go to last post
2 261
Fishing Competition by Mr. Arnold[_4_]
Roll up, roll up! See how easy it is to land a big, fat, perverted Spoofer. He plays a lot with his Daddy. Hehehehe. Try YOUR luck: See if YOU can land one of the BIG ones named below: The Bored Spoofer Leonard Grey
October 19th 08 05:22 AM
by Mr. Arnold[_4_] Go to last post
0 228
Uid/passwords by MSPRISSYSMOM
I have a main UID and my password. And the two are no way associated with my UID, has 2 upper case letters, 2 lower case letters and 4 numbers so will configure with all. And I have done this for years, but since I have gotten the new Vista, all I get is INVALID UID/Password, or just some kind of issue. I did this for a reason, so I would never have to carry a book around with me. Most of my...
October 19th 08 01:44 AM
by MSPRISSYSMOM Go to last post
0 209
User profile service by lotus604
Does anyone know how to deal with a logon problem. When starting Vista after entering password, the screen shows User profile cannot log you on. Would be grateful for any suggestions -- lotus604
October 18th 08 08:20 PM
by Brink Go to last post
8 219
going 64 by Drew
This may have been answered a million times or more but I am not really sure how to pose this question in order to research.. I am going to be switching to 64bit and was wondering how one would find out if things will work in 64bit such as my antispyware, antivirus, e-mail, and such.. I have drivers for my printer so I know that will work but what about internal cd/dvd burners ? Do they...
(Multi-page thread 1 2)
October 18th 08 03:10 PM
by RiverDog Go to last post

From The