Performance and Maintainance of Windows Vista A forum for performance and maintenance tasks in Windows Vista. (microsoft.public.windows.vista.performance_maintainance)

Post New Thread
Threads in Forum : Performance and Maintainance of Windows Vista Forum Tools Search this Forum Feed Icon
Multiple Firewalls by Paul Calcagno
I'm running Vista Home Premium SP2, 2 GB RAM, SAS, MBAM, CA (California Associates) AV (e-mail scanning disabled); Avira AV/Update scheduler, CCleaner, and Windows Firewall, WLM on an Acer Aspire Desktop machine. The system is running just great, however, I've always wondered why I need both the CA and the Windows firewall running at the same time. In CA I can create a list of website that...
February 28th 10 03:35 PM
by Paul Calcagno Go to last post
0 49
"New Appointments" and "New Tasks" are greyed out. by johnn
OS: Windows Vista - Home Premium SP2 Problem: When opening the calendar, "New Appointments" and "New Tasks" are greyed out. Tried Gogling and everything else I could think of, but can not fix this. Any suggestions?
February 28th 10 01:34 AM
by johnn Go to last post
0 48
"New Appointments" and "New Tasks" are greyed out. by johnn
OS: Windows Vista - Home Premium SP2 Problem: When opening the calendar, "New Appointments" and "New Tasks" are greyed out. Tried Gogling and everything else I could think of, but can not fix this. Any suggestions?
February 28th 10 01:34 AM
by johnn Go to last post
0 196
HELP disk management problem by none[_10_]
I have a toshiba lappy. It has recovery partitions on the HD as supplied out of the box. I had Ubuntu linux dual boot intstalled for a while using GRUB manager. I decided to delete ubuntu and recocer all the HD space for vista. I reset the vista MBR so that it booted ok.
February 27th 10 10:16 PM
by none[_10_] Go to last post
2 232
HELP disk management problem by none[_10_]
I have a toshiba lappy. It has recovery partitions on the HD as supplied out of the box. I had Ubuntu linux dual boot intstalled for a while using GRUB manager. I decided to delete ubuntu and recocer all the HD space for vista. I reset the vista MBR so that it booted ok.
February 27th 10 09:34 PM
by none[_10_] Go to last post
0 83
UAC prompts started today for no reason (after windows updates) by hogwell[_2_]
I've had UAC disabled on my Vista SP1 machine for years without problem. Today, 2/26/2010, after 4 automatic windows updates were installed, UAC prompts started appearing again for some programs, and some of my start up programs are blocked. ControlPanel User still shows UAC disabled, and I've tried disabling it again in msconfig, but nothing fixes the problem.
February 27th 10 01:16 AM
by Bob Go to last post
2 240
UAC prompts started today for no reason (after windows updates) by hogwell[_2_]
I've had UAC disabled on my Vista SP1 machine for years without problem. Today, 2/26/2010, after 4 automatic windows updates were installed, UAC prompts started appearing again for some programs, and some of my start up programs are blocked. ControlPanel User still shows UAC disabled, and I've tried disabling it again in msconfig, but nothing fixes the problem.
February 26th 10 10:00 PM
by hogwell[_2_] Go to last post
0 80
Same Icon on Desktop twice by k8r
I accidentally deleted my desktop file and it asked me something about duplication. My fingers moved to fast and i agreed. Now I have two of the same icons on my desktop. When I try to delete one of the icons, either they will both go away or one will stay there and not work. Sometimes I can get it to only have 1 icons but once I install a new program, it will double the icons again. I added...
February 26th 10 02:13 PM
by Descant Go to last post
9 256
card reader and errors by iluv my kitties and family
Toshiba a305-6905 3gb laptop. 1.5 years. All of a sudden I stick a Sony memory stick and a I tried a filled sd card to ensure it wasn't one of the either and regardless I get an error. Shows up when inserted on my computer but no pics will be displayed because it says the media card needs to be formatted first even with pics on it. So I played along and let the computer tried to format the...
February 26th 10 10:26 AM
by DL[_3_] Go to last post
2 193
Windows too large by Philomena
System specs: Vista Business Intel Core2Duocpu t5470 NVIDIA GeForce 8400M GS I was having problems seeing the fonts inside the windows and the icons on the desk top. I customized the DPI to 144. This made the widows too large. When I went back to the DPI page to change back to 96 DPI, I couldn't reach the buttons on the bottom of the page to apply the change. The other problem is that the task...
February 26th 10 07:02 AM
by No Name Go to last post
2 187
Windows too large by Philomena
System specs: Vista Business Intel Core2Duocpu t5470 NVIDIA GeForce 8400M GS I was having problems seeing the fonts inside the windows and the icons on the desk top. I customized the DPI to 144. This made the widows too large. When I went back to the DPI page to change back to 96 DPI, I couldn't reach the buttons on the bottom of the page to apply the change. The other problem is that the task...
February 25th 10 09:22 PM
by Philomena Go to last post
0 75
Vista does not boot after update by copiloto
Hello, Vista suggest me to install updates before exiting. Ive accepted. My laptop now cannot boot, it begin showing the Microsfoft Vsita initial progess bar and then a blue window with some mumbers (nonsense STOP: 0x00008086 (0x0000000000000301, 0x00000000000001C8, 0x0000000000000002, 0x000000000000000000) and come back to the BIOS start!!. I can boot from the Vista DVD. Ive tried to repair...
February 25th 10 07:21 PM
by swarmedddd Go to last post
3 162
card reader and errors by iluv my kitties and family
Toshiba a305-6905 3gb laptop. 1.5 years. All of a sudden I stick a Sony memory stick and a I tried a filled sd card to ensure it wasn't one of the either and regardless I get an error. Shows up when inserted on my computer but no pics will be displayed because it says the media card needs to be formatted first even with pics on it. So I played along and let the computer tried to format the...
February 25th 10 03:29 PM
by iluv my kitties and family Go to last post
0 65
Windows Calender by Hooter[_4_]
Windows Calendar does not notify me of events. When I load task scheduler it says "Task image is corrupt or has been tampered with mcupdate" and "Task image is corrupt or has been tampered with Reminders-name" Need help to fix. Hoot
February 24th 10 07:58 PM
by Hooter[_4_] Go to last post
2 184
Windows Calender by Hooter[_4_]
Windows Calendar does not notify me of events. When I load task scheduler it says "Task image is corrupt or has been tampered with mcupdate" and "Task image is corrupt or has been tampered with Reminders-name" Need help to fix. Hoot
February 24th 10 07:54 PM
by Hooter[_4_] Go to last post
0 78
Notification Area System Icons Have Disappeared by Bob Cabrera
When I go to the Notification Area properties, only the "Clock" option is checked. The "Volume", "Network", and "Power" options are un-checked AND grayed-out so I can't check them. How do I get these system icons back? (I'm running Vista Home Premium-SP2, and the only recent changes have been "Windows Updates" - critical updates only.) Thanks. -- Bob C.
February 24th 10 02:46 PM
by Brink Go to last post
4 201
Notification Area System Icons Have Disappeared by Bob Cabrera
When I go to the Notification Area properties, only the "Clock" option is checked. The "Volume", "Network", and "Power" options are un-checked AND grayed-out so I can't check them. How do I get these system icons back? (I'm running Vista Home Premium-SP2, and the only recent changes have been "Windows Updates" - critical updates only.) Thanks. -- Bob C.
February 24th 10 12:27 PM
by Bob Cabrera Go to last post
0 87
defragmentation questions by lorripop
i have a vista home premium with a 138GB HD (82GB full, 56GB free) on an HP pavillion computer. my computer is about 2-3years old. 1) how long does it take to defragmentation for the 1st time? the last time i did it (and the 1st time, with all the info above, my computer didn't finish even after 12hrs+. unfortunately, defragmentation does not have some loading bar, so i could not tell if the...
February 24th 10 06:36 AM
by lorripop Go to last post
0 115
backup by shepbev
Says D:\ doesn't have enough room for backup. How do I increase I have over 40 gigs free. Thanks Bev
February 21st 10 07:22 PM
by Ken Blake, MVP Go to last post
6 346
How to Delete a System File in Windows Vista...Access Denied when in System32 by Jason
If you need to delete or overwrite a system file in Windows Vista, you'll quickly notice that you cannot delete system files, even as administrator. This is because Windows Vista's system files are owned by the TrustedInstaller service by default, and Windows File Protection will keep them from being overwritten. Thankfully, there's a way that you can get around this. You need to take ownership...
February 21st 10 02:57 PM
by DL[_3_] Go to last post

From The