Performance and Maintainance of Windows Vista A forum for performance and maintenance tasks in Windows Vista. (microsoft.public.windows.vista.performance_maintainance)

Post New Thread
Threads in Forum : Performance and Maintainance of Windows Vista Forum Tools Search this Forum Feed Icon
backup by shepbev
Says D:\ doesn't have enough room for backup. How do I increase I have over 40 gigs free. Thanks Bev
February 21st 10 06:22 PM
by Ken Blake, MVP Go to last post
6 567
How to Delete a System File in Windows Vista...Access Denied when in System32 by Jason
If you need to delete or overwrite a system file in Windows Vista, you'll quickly notice that you cannot delete system files, even as administrator. This is because Windows Vista's system files are owned by the TrustedInstaller service by default, and Windows File Protection will keep them from being overwritten. Thankfully, there's a way that you can get around this. You need to take ownership...
February 21st 10 01:57 PM
by DL[_3_] Go to last post
6 810
red recovery drive folder by BrittanyJ
So I got a virus on my computer a month ago and I had a friend from geek squad come over and restart it with a recovery disk that Dell had sent me (I have a dell) after it was restored and the virus was gone my recovery folder was red and switched to my C: drive, and my os is now D: drive. When I asked him about the recovery drive being red he just told me that "its a good thing" but now when I...
February 21st 10 10:40 AM
by DL[_3_] Go to last post
2 371
On-Screen Keyboard is HUGE! by LuLu
I've tried everything to try to reduce my on-screen KB to it's default size, including 'system restore (4 times), which failed for some reason, shutting the whole thing off, restarts, etc. I have no idea what I did & it currently falls off the 18" x 20" screen so that I can hardly find the menu to 'exit'! Please, anyone have any idea? Thanks, much appreciated... -- I hate Vista
(Multi-page thread 1 2 3)
February 21st 10 01:52 AM
by Bob Go to last post
28 920
Windows Installer Not Working by HankL
I am using Windows VISTA 64 bit O/S Occasionally I am getting this error message when I restart my computer 'Windows Installer is not correctly installed' -- Thank you in advance for your support and suggestions, HankL
February 20th 10 07:09 PM
by HankL Go to last post
0 278
red recovery drive folder by BrittanyJ
So I got a virus on my computer a month ago and I had a friend from geek squad come over and restart it with a recovery disk that Dell had sent me (I have a dell) after it was restored and the virus was gone my recovery folder was red and switched to my C: drive, and my os is now D: drive. When I asked him about the recovery drive being red he just told me that "its a good thing" but now when I...
February 20th 10 04:40 PM
by BrittanyJ Go to last post
0 220
host file by Fanor P.
Hi all, A virus delete one entry in HOSTS file and now I can't connet to internet. I modified HOSTS file to restore entry "127.0.0.1 localhost", however I can't save it even though I run notepad as administrator. Any ideas?? My computer runs windows vista home premiun SP1. TIA
February 20th 10 01:17 AM
by Fanor P. Go to last post
2 329
host file by Fanor P.
Hi all, A virus delete one entry in HOSTS file and now I can't connet to internet. I modified HOSTS file to restore entry "127.0.0.1 localhost", however I can't save it even though I run notepad as administrator. Any ideas?? My computer runs windows vista home premiun SP1. TIA
February 19th 10 10:33 PM
by Fanor P. Go to last post
0 206
backup by shepbev
Says D:\ doesn't have enough room for backup. How do I increase I have over 40 gigs free. Thanks Bev
February 19th 10 04:36 PM
by shepbev Go to last post
0 183
Screen Flickering by Rachysunshine
My screen has been flickering ever since I installed Vista in Feb 07. Have searched for solutions to no avail. The flickering used to temporarily stop when computer went into sleep mode. It now flickers all the time. Anyone have ideas on how to fix this?
(Multi-page thread 1 2)
February 19th 10 11:35 AM
by gloguendi Go to last post
15 467
Flip 3D Stopped working by willderby
Hi Everyone, Ive been using me HP 60 laptop for over a year with very little problems. However when i came to use the window switcher i was expecting the usual Flip 3D, what i got was a recangular box with the window icons that i was using. ive been looking across various websites and everything mentioned so far has failed. i was wondering if any of you would be able to help? Thanks
February 19th 10 01:19 AM
by ramblingnana Go to last post
4 310
DVD Drive Icon Not Changing by The Learner
I hava a copy of the DVD drive icon on my desktop. Even though I have used other DVD's, the Icon for a DVD I used several weeks ago is still there. The same is true for the My Computer (Computer) view. How can I fix this?
February 18th 10 02:44 PM
by The Learner Go to last post
0 287
DVD Drive Icon Not Changing by The Learner
I hava a copy of the DVD drive icon on my desktop. Even though I have used other DVD's, the Icon for a DVD I used several weeks ago is still there. The same is true for the My Computer (Computer) view. How can I fix this?
February 18th 10 02:44 PM
by The Learner Go to last post
0 195
Lost file association with exe files by Rod[_8_]
The aftermath of a trojan attack (Vista Guardian) has resulted in the file association of exe files being lost and hence an inability to run exe files. I am quite convinced that the trojan is now dead, but I can't figure out how to fix the damage. If I could get into the registry I could fix it, but of course regedit is an exe file so I can't run it. I've tried tricks like running it from...
(Multi-page thread 1 2)
February 17th 10 09:13 PM
by Gene E. Bloch[_4_] Go to last post
10 597
Lost file association with exe files by Rod[_8_]
The aftermath of a trojan attack (Vista Guardian) has resulted in the file association of exe files being lost and hence an inability to run exe files. I am quite convinced that the trojan is now dead, but I can't figure out how to fix the damage. If I could get into the registry I could fix it, but of course regedit is an exe file so I can't run it. I've tried tricks like running it from...
February 17th 10 08:14 AM
by Rod[_8_] Go to last post
0 208
Missing MSVCR71.dll file by LR[_3_]
For some reason, I'm getting three error messages that the MSVCR71.dll file was not found. So the DVDAgent.exe and CLMSSvc.exe and one other appl fail to start. What to do? Could my AVG software have deleted it? Please help, Lynette
February 16th 10 11:19 PM
by TheDuck[_2_] Go to last post
6 427
8 GB Ram with PAE by Luigi
A Windows Seven system, with PAE enable, can manage up to 8 GB Ram? Thanks in advance. Luis
(Multi-page thread 1 2)
February 16th 10 05:56 PM
by John[_67_] Go to last post
10 502
Avast AV Scanner by Paul Calcagno
Not sure where to post this so here goes: Can anyone comment on whether they think an Avast's AV scanner is any good. I just got finished fixing a friends 2 month old Vista laptop that wouldn't start up. I managed to boot it into `the last known good configuration' then ran CCleaner, MBAM, SAS and Spybot. WU's were downlevel. Just seems like with Avast running on this machine things got...
(Multi-page thread 1 2 3)
February 16th 10 01:54 AM
by Paul Calcagno Go to last post
24 804
Intermittant screen saver by Larry M.
It seems for maybe the past couple of weeks it seems that sometimes the screen saver doesn't kick in. When the time for it to kick in comes the monitor just goes right to sleep. The odd thing is after I go and check the power settings, which all look fine, it works as it should. I have tried different screen savers as well as changes the timers. I don't know if this is from 1 of the last batch...
February 15th 10 01:41 AM
by Larry M. Go to last post
0 222
Intermittant screen saver by Larry M.
It seems for maybe the past couple of weeks it seems that sometimes the screen saver doesn't kick in. When the time for it to kick in comes the monitor just goes right to sleep. The odd thing is after I go and check the power settings, which all look fine, it works as it should. I have tried different screen savers as well as changes the timers. I don't know if this is from 1 of the last batch...
February 15th 10 01:41 AM
by Larry M. Go to last post

From The